U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 PM

22 posts, read 135,141 times

Advertisements

If you drive smoothly a transmission and clutch will last the life of the car, but ya, there are lots of very bad drivers out there who should stick with autoshift
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 07:44 PM

22,373 posts, read 27,524,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stern View Post
If you drive smoothly a transmission and clutch will last the life of the car, but ya, there are lots of very bad drivers out there who should stick with autoshift
The same could be said with automatic transmissions, too. My mom's '70 Cadillac Coupe de Ville had the original transmission. It was never rebuilt and the odometer passed the 200,000 mile mark.

The transmissions in my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine are original and also have not been rebuilt.

I just make sure the fluid level doesn't get too low. Both have been trouble-free.

The owner's manual for my former '66 Dodge Dart GT said, "the fluid in the [automatic] transmission does not need changing and will last the life of the car." (Except under severe use, such as towing.)

Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,419,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The same could be said with automatic transmissions, too. My mom's '70 Cadillac Coupe de Ville had the original transmission. It was never rebuilt and the odometer passed the 200,000 mile mark.

The transmissions in my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine are original and also have not been rebuilt.

I just make sure the fluid level doesn't get too low. Both have been trouble-free.

The owner's manual for my former '66 Dodge Dart GT said, "the fluid in the [automatic] transmission does not need changing and will last the life of the car." (Except under severe use, such as towing.)
Yeah, but it would not be nearly as much fun to drive.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:14 PM

I would love to have a Cadillac Limousine with a Tremec T 56 Six speed manual transmission. That would be a rush. It would have to have a good performance exhaust system of course. Right now I enjoy driving a 45 foot MCI Motor coach with a Cat engine and a 7 speed manual transmission. When you drive smoothly it's great so what's wrong with a Caddy with a manual trans? I don't get it.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:18 PM

Hey don't knock my friend Glen. He's one of the few out there who thinks before he speaks. Not everyone thinks for five minutes before they express their view point....

Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stern View Post
I would love to have a Cadillac Limousine with a Tremec T 56 Six speed manual transmission. That would be a rush. It would have to have a good performance exhaust system of course. Right now I enjoy driving a 45 foot MCI Motor coach with a Cat engine and a 7 speed manual transmission. When you drive smoothly it's great so what's wrong with a Caddy with a manual trans? I don't get it.
First, there are no factory-built Cadillac Limousines anymore. The last year for that was the 1984 model-year. The 1985-'87 Cadillac limos were FWD and sent out of the Cadillac plant for final assembly.

Second, the last year you could buy a factory Cadillac limo with a manual transmission was the 1953 model year.

Third, it would kind of defeat the purpose... a Cadillac limo with a manual transmission. The Cadillac limos had prestige and convenience and a manual transmission doesn't really fit in with that classification.

Interesting you mention an exhaust system. I may have a dual exhaust installed in my '76 limo. The engine would breathe a lot better yet still be quiet.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Yeah, but it would not be nearly as much fun to drive.
You should have told me before all those years I had fun driving my cars!

BTW, I was out driving my '66 Plymouth Fury (with the big-block 383 and auto trans with shift kit). Manually shifting it most of the time. And guess what? It shifted from 1st to 2nd to 3rd gear as I moved the lever. Not much different from a manual trans. Both do the same thing... change into a different gear, it is just accomplished differently. But the end result is the same.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:37 AM

1,634 posts, read 3,419,777 times
To each his own Fleet...

lazy folks can have fun without the third pedal, I guess.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
To each his own Fleet...

lazy folks can have fun without the third pedal, I guess.
True, but I think Doug is going to have a problem finding a limo with a manual transmission.

BTW, I see plenty of lazy people drive cars with manuals... the ones who refuse to use a turn signal. What about those who drive a manual transmission and skip a gear, like shifting from 1st to 3rd? I guess they are lazy, too!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:51 PM

I already drive one. It's called a MCI DL3. It's fourty five feet long with steering in the rear tag axle to help with turns. It also has a manual 7 speed transmission which is a delight to drive in the hands of a skilled driver. Now how do like that for a stretched limo....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or