U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:20 AM

2,653 posts, read 4,598,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
I've had that a couple times with my Volvo ... nowadays, I skip valets, considering they aren't going to care about letting the turbo spin down or anything.

That, and crap like this ...

YouTube - Hotel Guests Cars Valet Parking Fail

The other stumper ... having to engage reverse by lifting the lockout ring, then left and up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 AM

27,998 posts, read 46,384,744 times
The problem with standard shift is in mountains and hills your shifting all the time. On flat ground it's no problem.

John

Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,207,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The problem with standard shift is in mountains and hills your shifting all the time. On flat ground it's no problem.
... and I find that the "gear hunt" is more prevalent with automatics when on hills ... it senses too much load for a gear, so it downshifts, but then senses that the rpms are high, so it upshifts, then senses too much load, so it downshifts ...

Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 PM

22,152 posts, read 26,628,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
... and I find that the "gear hunt" is more prevalent with automatics when on hills ... it senses too much load for a gear, so it downshifts, but then senses that the rpms are high, so it upshifts, then senses too much load, so it downshifts ...
Depends on the transmission. The Torqueflite automatic in my '66 Plymouth won't downshift unless the engine is at or near full-throttle.

Also, you can control the shifting on an automatic by shifting it manually.
In many cases, if an automatics transmission shifts down when going up a hill, it should be in a lower gear anyway... easier on the drivetrain that way.

Regarding the subject of this thread (stick shift cars going away), that wouldn't bother me. Just let me have my Mopar with a good Torqueflite auto trans and my two Cadillacs with the excellent Turbo-hydramatic and I'm satisfied.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:04 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,383,583 times
Now if someone could just build a auto tranny worth 2 cents in a truck....

The way this is going, the day you will get in your car and program the gps, set bak and read, chat, do your nails, be served food for a in dash dispenscer, any thing but drive, is just around the corner.

Driving will be as lost an art, as driving a wagon with horses.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:42 PM

22 posts, read 131,123 times
I'm a 35 year veteran professional driver and I have never owned an automatic car. I despise them for a number of reasons. I guess the first reason is that they're boring and I don't like a machine telling me what to do. If you're good at it (and smooth like I am) a stick is a blast to drive. When I teach green drivers to shift, I put a pop bottle on the floor and if they knock it over I give them more drills. My students are smooth! The other thing I like about the stick is the vastly superior fuel economy of a manual transmission car. Where a stick really comes into it's own is in city traffic because you can choose the proper gear and get the RPM down. For example, driving in Toronto my RWD V 6 Pontiac gets 30 to 35 mpg. This is not going to happen with your average ladies auto shift.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:50 PM

13,398 posts, read 42,760,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

John
It's true you shift (and brake, and turn, and accelerate) a lot in the mountains, particularly in the twistys. But that's what you came there for, no?

Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,383,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stern View Post
I'm a 35 year veteran professional driver and I have never owned an automatic car. I despise them for a number of reasons. I guess the first reason is that they're boring and I don't like a machine telling me what to do. If you're good at it (and smooth like I am) a stick is a blast to drive. When I teach green drivers to shift, I put a pop bottle on the floor and if they knock it over I give them more drills. My students are smooth! The other thing I like about the stick is the vastly superior fuel economy of a manual transmission car. Where a stick really comes into it's own is in city traffic because you can choose the proper gear and get the RPM down. For example, driving in Toronto my RWD V 6 Pontiac gets 30 to 35 mpg. This is not going to happen with your average ladies auto shift.
I am no pro, but i raced some, and it was said I was smooth. I can't spell this word jim kanta, but if you can get past the error and understand what I mean, And I mean arounf pylons for this particular racing venture, I used to get to around 40 MPH and stay there, no speeding up and no slowing down weaving thru the cones. being smooth, caused me to often times win such races, against a clock.

I was also a foreign car tech Euro mainly, and on occasions a customer would call and say his clutch pedal wasn't functioning. Most of the time I got another tech to take me to that car, and drove it back with no working clutch shifting up and down as normal. Only when I was alone did I get into the wrecker, and go drag the car back as it took more time.

I plow snow with a auto tranny, and to me that is one of the places a auto shines, but I have plowed with std tranny's and just wished I had three hands sometimes. Someone who didn't plow snow wouldn't understand that, but there is a hidden art to plow right.

If I were King there would be NO auto tranny in cars, except for medical reasons. Thar's a reason these auto trannies are refered to as slush box.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stern View Post
I'm a 35 year veteran professional driver and I have never owned an automatic car. I despise them for a number of reasons. I guess the first reason is that they're boring
The driver of this '70 454 Chevelle (with automatic) doesn't look bored!

YouTube - Les' 70 Chevelle Burn Outs

I have seen quite a few 11- and 12-second muscle cars with automatic transmissions and they don't look at all boring to me!

Quote:
and I don't like a machine telling me what to do

You can shift an automatic manually. I do that a lot with my '66 Plymouth Fury 383, which can get rubber in 2nd gear and do 80 mph in 2nd gear.

Quote:
If you're good at it (and smooth like I am) a stick is a blast to drive. When I teach green drivers to shift, I put a pop bottle on the floor and if they knock it over I give them more drills. My students are smooth! The other thing I like about the stick is the vastly superior fuel economy of a manual transmission car. Where a stick really comes into it's own is in city traffic because you can choose the proper gear and get the RPM down. For example, driving in Toronto my RWD V 6 Pontiac gets 30 to 35 mpg. This is not going to happen with your average ladies auto shift.
With modern automatics, the difference in fuel economy is slight to none.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
If I were King there would be NO auto tranny in cars, except for medical reasons. Thar's a reason these auto trannies are refered to as slush box.
Did you know that the winning car in the 1963 Winternationals drag racing was a Dodge with an automatic transmission? It was actually faster than the other cars with manual transmissions!
Some "slush box!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or