U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 06:18 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,319,383 times

Advertisements

To do away with manual transmissions is stupid.

A sports car just isn't a sports car without a manual trans.

Manual trans. come in handy for 4X4 vehicles when you want or need to start off in another gear other than 1st while off road.

Manual trans. vehicles are also good when the battery goes dead, you can atleast push start it, if not let it roll down hill and start it.

Manual trans. are also better in grossly underpowered cars and trucks where as an auto will make them drive like a slug.

It's cheaper to maintain and repair a manual trans. as opposed to an auto.

Auto trans. have their merits in luxury cars and bracket racers/drag racers.

Go to Europe and see how many autos there are as opposed to manuals. Not very many.

But of course this is America where people don't want to shift and instead want to free up the other hand to stuff those Big Macs in their face, if not trying to text their friends while driving.

Last edited by Deez Nuttz; 03-03-2010 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:56 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,399,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Did you know that the winning car in the 1963 Winternationals drag racing was a Dodge with an automatic transmission? It was actually faster than the other cars with manual transmissions!
Some "slush box!"

Nope I didn't know that. But I bet it wasn't a stock tranny either. A guess might be it had at least a B&M hydro kit in it.

I was a Euro based foreign car tech, we were called mechanics back then. We did diagnostics in our heads and there was no computer for a while that did.

At the time of the VW Wabbit, Dodge had something called Omni I think, and the one I saw had a like VW engine with a slush box tranny and it was a dawg.... At first sight I missed seeing it wasn't a wabbit, as the body was close, and my first take was the clutch was gone...

Volvo used some Rambler auto tranny too, and it made Volvo a dawg. I hated those tranny then, and ain't got a nice thing to say about them now.

I simply prefer clickin thru the cogs.

It just occured to me that back then auto trannys had forward AND rear pumps too, and at one time you could drag start a auto tranny.. Those days are long gone.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 AM

22,154 posts, read 26,646,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Nope I didn't know that. But I bet it wasn't a stock tranny either. A guess might be it had at least a B&M hydro kit in it.
It does show how efficient a car with an automatic transmission can be. Besides, I have seen road tests of two identical '60s cars, one with a manual and one with an auto and the acceleration times are very close.

Quote:
I was a Euro based foreign car tech, we were called mechanics back then. We did diagnostics in our heads and there was no computer for a while that did.

At the time of the VW Wabbit, Dodge had something called Omni I think, and the one I saw had a like VW engine with a slush box tranny and it was a dawg.... At first sight I missed seeing it wasn't a wabbit, as the body was close, and my first take was the clutch was gone...

Volvo used some Rambler auto tranny too, and it made Volvo a dawg. I hated those tranny then, and ain't got a nice thing to say about them now.
That is why I said give me a car with a good automatic transmission and I will be satisfied. A good auto trans meaning the Mopar Torqueflite, GM Turbo-hydramatic or Ford C-6.

Quote:
I simply prefer clickin thru the cogs.
Yep, many people do. I am just pointing out that when some say a car with an automatic is "no fun to drive," is not necessarily true. I do enjoy manually shifting the auto trans in my '66 Plymouth. The best of both worlds: manually shift it when I want to or let it shift automatically when I don't feel like shifting it myself.

Quote:
It just occured to me that back then auto trannys had forward AND rear pumps too, and at one time you could drag start a auto tranny.. Those days are long gone.
The Mopar Torqueflite could be push started up to and including the 1965 model year.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:20 AM

4,227 posts, read 20,319,383 times
Quote:
I don't think B&M kits existed back in '63. Even then really all a B&M kit does is raise the line pressure in the trans for a snappier shift.

An auto is great at the drag strip because it's more consistent than a manual. Also because there's some "goodies" you can add to make it faster and more consistant. For example on an auto you can have a custom stall converter built to stall right about where the peak engine torque is, and also install a t brake...then at the tree all you have to do is put it in L1, hold a button and let off at the light. And as long as your slicks hold and you're making good torque when you launch, you can perhaps do a wheelie.

If your car happens to have a powerglide trans, 1 shift into D and you're done. Now you can put all your focus on the finish line.

Even then still, I find rowing thru gears should be mandatory on sports cars and should at least be avaliable on 4X4 vehicles. Sure you can manually shift an auto but it's not the same as manually shifting a straight drive transmission.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:42 PM

17,503 posts, read 18,668,625 times
^^ I think B&M has been around since the 50's.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:54 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,399,126 times
Well I live in NH, and there used to be mountain roads, there still are some, but not like there once was. That stick shift could be pretty nice say doing 60 on a back mt road going down hill as fast as i might care to try. Of course I was 10 feet tall and bullet proof back then. Not exactly dragster friendly roads.

In one place I knew the car would lift and fly a bit, for the dip in the road I scared the jumpin blue blazes out of a buddy of mine. Just as we approached the dip I alone knew I started yelling, I can fly, I can fly, and fly we did.

Road like that would blow the diaphram out of the shift regulator and suck right up the little pipe into the intake i bet

The thing I don't like is that these days some slick sits around dreaming of ways to ruin my life, and decidin' on what I can have, and what I can't. That little slick got's his own jet airplane.

If you like slushy so be it, I don't, and I am not after what you like.

As to dates on B&M kits, well I can't really recall when for everything man made that was any good ya know. Just seems to me that well before the tach says 2,800 rpm a car should move...

Old 03-04-2010, 05:26 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,213,310 times
Quote:
Borg Warner 35, used by several manufacturers back then. AMC, MG, and Jaguar springs to my mind ...

It was smooth ... and that's about the nicest thing I could say about it, because whatever power the engine had at the crank, you're not going to get anywhere near that amount afterwards.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 PM

51,086 posts, read 29,165,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post

I think the demand for manuals will be kept alive by sports cars since shifting is one of the few ways that enthusiasts can actually enjoy the art of driving in normal everyday traffic.
I definitely agree with you, I just can't imagine buying a Corvette or any sports car, even a pony car like the Camaro, the Mustang, or the Challenger, with an automatic transmission.

I had a 1984 Ford Mustang GT, with the 5.0, and it had a 4-speed manual in it. When I bought my 2001 Nissan Xterra SUV, I was very lucky to find a vehicle like that, with the 3.3 litre V-6, plus all of the luxuries, and a 5-speed manual transmission. Back then, it was rare to find a manual transmision with a V-6 on an SUV.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:07 PM

22 posts, read 131,207 times
No, automatics are boring and my grandmother can manually shift her auto shift. So? As far as fuel economy is concerned. Nobody with an automatic can get 35 mpg (as I do with my Firebird 3.8) driving in Toronto. I consistantly get 40 to 42 mpg on the highway and the reason is the lack of a torque convertor. The only automatics that come close to manuals in fuel economy are large semi-trucks with multi speed transmissions and NO Torque convertor. The truth is, nobody in our affluent society gives a rip about fuel economy or skillful driving. Too bad!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:15 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,825,008 times
Auto transmission sports car typically outsell manuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or