U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-12-2010, 06:28 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,667,562 times
Reputation: 2819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
What about driving an automatic-equipped car on mountain roads? Downshifting through curves, accelerating coming out of the turn, etc.

I find it hard to believe that only cars with manual transmissions are fun to drive.
As I posted above, what about a '69 427 Yenko Camaro with an automatic? No fun to drive strictly because it's an automatic?

Or another example I posted earlier... a '68 Dodge Charger with 426-Hemi, 3-speed auto and 3.23 gears. It could do 63 mph @ 6500 rpm in 1st gear and 107 mph @ 6500 rpm in 2nd gear... but because it has an auto, it's "no fun" to drive? I strongly disagree.

When I referred to a 500 hp car with an auto, I meant those I see regularly at car shows. They are street driven and are not just run at a race track.
Fun, yes, a heck of a lot funner with a manual? Oh yes.

I think autos have their place (preferably DSG type things), such as a BMW 5 series, with their new 8 speed auto, or on certain Audi's and VW's, heck with the DSG things, you can actually have a lot of fun, considering you have complete override and it's still a "manual" type transmission (no lag, slug response etc.)

But! With a manual, even a ****ty everyday beater is a lot of fun, and mountain roads? They turn in to a racetrack, even in a 150hp car, think what it does with 500...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-12-2010, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
12,939 posts, read 18,524,142 times
Reputation: 13772
I like to go 4 wheeling and I hate 'wheeling in automatics. You just don't have the same control, and an automatic is more likely to crap out on you than a manual, especially under stress.

plus, everyone knows REAL men can throw a stick and work a clutch with finess. If you can't, you might as well turn in your tool and learn how to crochet, because you just aren't up to the task.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 04:41 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,163 posts, read 26,709,581 times
Reputation: 6447
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Fun, yes, a heck of a lot funner with a manual? Oh yes.

I think autos have their place (preferably DSG type things), such as a BMW 5 series, with their new 8 speed auto, or on certain Audi's and VW's, heck with the DSG things, you can actually have a lot of fun, considering you have complete override and it's still a "manual" type transmission (no lag, slug response etc.)
Yep, autos do have their place. It would be silly for a Cadillac Limousine to have a manual transmission, for instance.
Then there are some people who can't drive a manual due to a health issue (a bad left leg). Doesn't mean that can't have fun driving a car.

Quote:
But! With a manual, even a ****ty everyday beater is a lot of fun, and mountain roads? They turn in to a racetrack, even in a 150hp car, think what it does with 500...
But with an automatic in a certain car (think '60s American muscle cars) you can be grinning for weeks after taking it out for a spin and burning some rubber and/or doing some full-throttle runs.
One of my dream cars is a '69 Dodge Coronet R/T 440-Magnum. I would want one with a Torqueflite automatic, shift kit and 3.55:1 axle ratio. No one can tell me that car wouldn't be fun to drive because it doesn't have a manual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 04:48 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,163 posts, read 26,709,581 times
Reputation: 6447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
plus, everyone knows REAL men can throw a stick and work a clutch with finess. If you can't, you might as well turn in your tool and learn how to crochet, because you just aren't up to the task.
From the book "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche."

"Real men do not drive stick shifts. They are secure enough to let their gears be shifted automatically."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,667,562 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yep, autos do have their place. It would be silly for a Cadillac Limousine to have a manual transmission, for instance.
Then there are some people who can't drive a manual due to a health issue (a bad left leg). Doesn't mean that can't have fun driving a car.



But with an automatic in a certain car (think '60s American muscle cars) you can be grinning for weeks after taking it out for a spin and burning some rubber and/or doing some full-throttle runs.
One of my dream cars is a '69 Dodge Coronet R/T 440-Magnum. I would want one with a Torqueflite automatic, shift kit and 3.55:1 axle ratio. No one can tell me that car wouldn't be fun to drive because it doesn't have a manual.
The caddy is en example of a car where an auto is in it's place.

And I'm sure the Coronet is fun, if that's your vehicle of choice, but I'd have a lot more fun with it, with a manual box on the same vehicle.

Hell, just looking at the internals of a good manual shifter is fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,162 posts, read 11,925,611 times
Reputation: 7545
If it doesn't have a manual trans, I'm not buying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,163 posts, read 26,709,581 times
Reputation: 6447
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
The caddy is en example of a car where an auto is in it's place.

And I'm sure the Coronet is fun, if that's your vehicle of choice, but I'd have a lot more fun with it, with a manual box on the same vehicle.

Hell, just looking at the internals of a good manual shifter is fun.
Ah-ha! You said you would have a lot more fun if it had a manual. Meaning it is possible to have fun with it if it had an automatic. That's all I wanted to hear... that it is possible to enjoy driving a car with an automatic.

One reason I would pick a '69 Coronet R/T with an automatic is because while the Mopar 4-speed manual transmission was okay, their Torqueflite automatic was excellent and the best in the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,163 posts, read 26,709,581 times
Reputation: 6447
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
If it doesn't have a manual trans, I'm not buying it.
You are missing out on a lot of good and enjoyable cars, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2010, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,667,562 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Ah-ha! You said you would have a lot more fun if it had a manual. Meaning it is possible to have fun with it if it had an automatic. That's all I wanted to hear... that it is possible to enjoy driving a car with an automatic.

One reason I would pick a '69 Coronet R/T with an automatic is because while the Mopar 4-speed manual transmission was okay, their Torqueflite automatic was excellent and the best in the business.
You get all kinds of trannys custom built.

And yes, cars can be fun with an auto, but personally I'd sit there being slightly annoyed that I didn't have a proper transmission. And that would take away from the experience.

Autos are for cruisers and certain types of daily drivers in my opinion.

Put it this way, I'd never buy a muscle car, or any other high performer without a manual. The only exception would be a DSG type transmission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Northridge/Porter Ranch, Calif.
22,163 posts, read 26,709,581 times
Reputation: 6447
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
You get all kinds of trannys custom built.

And yes, cars can be fun with an auto, but personally I'd sit there being slightly annoyed that I didn't have a proper transmission. And that would take away from the experience.
The definition of a proper transmission does vary from person to person.

Quote:
Autos are for cruisers and certain types of daily drivers in my opinion.

Put it this way, I'd never buy a muscle car, or any other high performer without a manual. The only exception would be a DSG type transmission.
That means you prefer cars with a manual transmission; I prefer cars with an automatic. Freedom of choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top