U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 12:54 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,006,759 times

Advertisements

If you own a clunker with a stick when the battery or starter acts up you can park on a hill and roll down to start it. Try that with an automatic. Of course many of you have probably never owned a clunker.
GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 AM

22,157 posts, read 26,660,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
If you own a clunker with a stick when the battery or starter acts up you can park on a hill and roll down to start it. Try that with an automatic. Of course many of you have probably never owned a clunker.
GL2
The Mopar automatics could be started that way up to and including the 1965 model year.
As you said, the best way to avoid having to do that is to not buy a clunker in the first place. I don't think you will see many people buying a car with a manual transmission for that sole reason.

You don't have to worry about a worn out clutch with an automatic or grinding the gears.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:32 PM

3,054 posts, read 5,039,863 times
One point completely missed is getting a dealer to order your ride with a stick. It's like pulling hens teeth. They don't want the warranty issues from the idiots who burn up the clutches. Yet when they get a stickshift car on the lot, it will be the first sold. Why? It's the old what people want vs. what they find on the lot. If dealers made the stick cars avaliable would sell 10 times more stickshift cars and trucks. I will never buy a new or used truck again with an auto trans. too expensive when rebuild time comes right after or during pulling something. Give me the stickshift or you keep the about the break down piece of junk with the sissy shift automatic transmission.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:14 PM

The transmission in my '76 Cadillac Limousine has never had an operating problem. A rear seal was replaced because of a leak, but the transmission has never slipped or overheated.
Same thing with my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. When properly driven and maintained, automatic transmissions last a long time, in many cases for the life of the car.

Automatic transmissions can be modified for teeth-jarring shifts, nothing "sissy" at all about that. One of my friends owned a '69 Ford Fairlane Cobra with a 428 engine, auto trans and 3.50:1 gears. When shifting from 1st to 2nd at full throttle, the rear tires would not just chirp but would actually start to spin! Again, those heavy-duty and/or modified automatic transmissions are not "sissy" at all. Especially when in an 11- or 12-second street driven muscle car.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,333,621 times
There's no doubt an automatic transmission can be set up to be a performer. But even with a shift kit, high stall speed, manual valve body and whatever else you can think of, an auto just is not as fun to drive as a manual. Period dot the end.

Really....an automatic has it's place...in luxury cars, some bracket racers/drag racers, folks that are too old to shift the transmission, and for those who non stop stuff twinkies, ho-ho's, donuts and mickey d's in their mouths while they drive.

But for a 4 wheel drive vehicle or a sports car, a manual will outshine an auto anyday.

What 12GO meant by being a "sissy" trans is having the auto do the shifting for you, instead of you doing the shifting.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
There's no doubt an automatic transmission can be set up to be a performer. But even with a shift kit, high stall speed, manual valve body and whatever else you can think of, an auto just is not as fun to drive as a manual. Period dot the end.
It really depends on the driver which is more fun.

Quote:
Really....an automatic has it's place...in luxury cars, some bracket racers/drag racers, folks that are too old to shift the transmission, and for those who non stop stuff twinkies, ho-ho's, donuts and mickey d's in their mouths while they drive.

But for a 4 wheel drive vehicle or a sports car, a manual will outshine an auto anyday.
Again, it depends on the driver.

Quote:
What 12GO meant by being a "sissy" trans is having the auto do the shifting for you, instead of you doing the shifting.
I don't see anything sissy about that. Something like a '69 Charger R/T with 426-Hemi and automatic is hardly thought of as a sissy car... even when shifting automatically. I think a better example of a sissy car would be a '60s MG with about 60 horsepower!

Old 03-15-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It really depends on the driver which is more fun.
If you say so...with an automatic you put the car in drive and that's all she wrote. It's like an appliance if you will. With a manual you determine where and when to shift. Also as a rule manual transmissions consume less power than an automatic....that part can't be debated on.

Anyone who thinks an auto is more fun than a manual either hasn't had the experience of driving a high performance car with a manual or just doesn't know how to have fun.

Quote:
Again, it depends on the driver.
And again if you say so...I've owned and driven both autos and manuals. I can tell you that with a manual you have way better control of the vehicle. On my 4X4 I can be stuck in the mud, throw it in 4WD and that will help but there's still torque that's spinning the tires in mud...I can start off in 2nd gear and pull myself out. Try that with an auto. Oh wait, it would start off in 1st anyways before going to 2nd.

Quote:
I don't see anything sissy about that. Something like a '69 Charger R/T with 426-Hemi and automatic is hardly thought of as a sissy car... even when shifting automatically.
Ok let's stop and think about this for just a second....with that Charger, really all you do is put the 727 torque flight in drive and that's it. Sure you can shift it manually but it's not the same. With the A833, you have more torque going to the drive wheels (remember autos eat power) and also you dictate the shift points...so you tell me what's more fun...putting it in drive and mashing the gas....or letting off the clutch in 1st and stomping the pedal while the tach creeps to 5000 and you're pinned to the seat, push in, pull down, let off, repeat until 5000 and you're still pinned to the seat, push in, up over up, let off and repeat....

Trust me....I've driven two muscle cars equipped with 4 speed manuals and I've driven an auto equipped muscle car, the manual wins every time. The only time I have ever found an auto more useful in a high performance vehicle over a manual is in bracket racing/drag racing because an auto is more consistent than a manual. But for a street car that is anything fun to drive, a manual is the way to go.

Here's one thing you can't deny though on manual vs. auto: In a car like the 69 Charger you brought up, and ESPECIALLY a Hemi car, a manual will ALWAYS make the car worth more than an auto any day of the week. If you don't believe me, check out the prices on a manual trans 69 charger as opposed to an automatic 69 Charger. This holds true for pretty much any muscle car.

Manuals (and big blocks/Hemis) and muscle cars go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Oh yeah.....and when you burn out the clutch from all the abuse driving you'll regularly put a manual thru, you replace the clutch and keep on going. You don't even have to take the trans case apart to do that. The same can't be said for an auto.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:20 AM

4,464 posts, read 9,653,937 times
Forgive me if I sound rude here Fleet, but have you ever driven a manual?

Even the most die hard Auto-fans of mine completely agree that a manual is the way to go in a performer (unless you get a DSG, Dogbox or sequential transmission, but they are all based off of manual transmissions too).

Old 03-15-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Forgive me if I sound rude here Fleet, but have you ever driven a manual?

Even the most die hard Auto-fans of mine completely agree that a manual is the way to go in a performer (unless you get a DSG, Dogbox or sequential transmission, but they are all based off of manual transmissions too).
I have driven a forklift with a manual transmission, does that count?

As others have said here already, in some cases, a car with an automatic performs better than the same car with a manual.
Not quite accurate to say that a manual is the way to go in a performer.

I have seen cars owned by die hard auto fans, for instance, '69 Camaros with huge engines and a big superchargers sticking out of the hood and fat tires on the back which has an automatic transmission. Because it does not have a manual transmission, the owner cannot be considered a die hard auto fan? Of course not... let's face it... there are desirable high-performance cars both with a manual and with an automatic transmission.

To exclude a high-performance car only because it has an automatic does not make sense. Especially when it can match or exceed the manual transmission car in acceleration and handling.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I have seen cars owned by die hard auto fans, for instance, '69 Camaros with huge engines and a big superchargers sticking out of the hood and fat tires on the back which has an automatic transmission. Because it does not have a manual transmission, the owner cannot be considered a die hard auto fan? Of course not... let's face it... there are desirable high-performance cars both with a manual and with an automatic transmission.
You can have an auto and be a die hard fan. Just that it's more fun to bang thru the gears as opposed to just putting the car in drive and pushing on the go pedal. But until one has experience what I am talking about would not understand.

Hey some people can't drive a manual because it hurts their leg to push in on the clutch...understandable...others just don't want to learn or want the other hand freed up to eat with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or