U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:17 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,968,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I have driven a forklift with a manual transmission, does that count?
In all honesty then... you really don't know what you're comparing against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:52 PM

22,362 posts, read 27,502,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
In all honesty then... you really don't know what you're comparing against.
Like I said before, some people prefer a car with a manual and some prefer one with an automatic.

Contrary to what some people think, it is possible to enjoy driving a car with an automatic. Even a muscle car.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,968,967 times
Quote:
Like I said before, some people prefer a car with a manual and some prefer one with an automatic.

Contrary to what some people think, it is possible to enjoy driving a car with an automatic. Even a muscle car.
Yeah, but you're disregarding the manual without even trying it, as such, any opinion you have on becomes... less credible.

For all you know, you might prefer a manual, you just don't know it yet.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
You can have an auto and be a die hard fan. Just that it's more fun to bang thru the gears as opposed to just putting the car in drive and pushing on the go pedal. But until one has experience what I am talking about would not understand.
One of my friends in high school owned a '67 Mustang with a built 351 engine. It had an automatic transmission which was modified so much that the shifts were very hard. He always shifted it manually. With him, it wasn't just a matter of putting the car in drive and pushing the go pedal.

Quote:
Hey some people can't drive a manual because it hurts their leg to push in on the clutch...understandable...others just don't want to learn or want the other hand freed up to eat with.
Very true. That's why I said it depends on the person which is more preferable... manual or automatic.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Yeah, but you're disregarding the manual without even trying it, as such, any opinion you have on becomes... less credible.

For all you know, you might prefer a manual, you just don't know it yet.
That is true. But I am pretty sure I would prefer an automatic. For a few reasons. I like (classic) Mopars and the Torqueflite transmission is excellent. There are times when I don't want to shift manually. I wouldn't have to replace the clutch.

Although most of my 10 favorite cars I would prefer with an automatic ('69 Dodge Coronet R/T 440-Magnum; '69 Dodge Charger R/T 426-Hemi; '69 Dodge Dart GTS 340, etc) I would pick one car with a 4-speed manual trans... '69 Plymouth Road Runner 440-6 bbl or '69 Dodge Super Bee 440-6 Pack.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
If you say so...with an automatic you put the car in drive and that's all she wrote. It's like an appliance if you will
As was mentioned, with an automatic, you have a choice of letting it shift automatically or it can be manually shifted. I know it's not the same as a manual transmission but the fact remains if can be shifted manually. I should know... I did it all through the 1980s with my '66 Dart GT V-8!

Quote:
With a manual you determine where and when to shift.
I determine where and when to shift my automatics. I have many times. I took my Dart up to 75 mph in 2nd gear several times. Or brought it up to 40 mph in 1st to get rubber in 2nd gear.

Quote:
Also as a rule manual transmissions consume less power than an automatic....that part can't be debated on.
Automatics have torque converters which aids in acceleration.

Quote:
And again if you say so...I've owned and driven both autos and manuals. I can tell you that with a manual you have way better control of the vehicle. On my 4X4 I can be stuck in the mud, throw it in 4WD and that will help but there's still torque that's spinning the tires in mud...I can start off in 2nd gear and pull myself out. Try that with an auto. Oh wait, it would start off in 1st anyways before going to 2nd.
Ford had an automatic transmission in the '60s in which you could start in 2nd gear. My friend's '66 Fairlane 390 had it.

Quote:
Manuals (and big blocks/Hemis) and muscle cars go together like peanut butter and jelly.
I would say that manuals and heavy-duty automatics and muscle cars go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Quote:
Oh yeah.....and when you burn out the clutch from all the abuse driving you'll regularly put a manual thru, you replace the clutch and keep on going. You don't even have to take the trans case apart to do that. The same can't be said for an auto.
That's true... the same can't be said for an auto because there is no clutch. An automatic will typically last a long, long time unless it is run with too little fluid or if it is abused (powerbrake burnouts, for example).

Old 03-15-2010, 10:54 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,417,727 times
I still prefer manuals.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:39 PM

3,054 posts, read 5,219,446 times
Quote:
The transmission in my '76 Cadillac Limousine has never had an operating problem. A rear seal was replaced because of a leak, but the transmission has never slipped or overheated.
Same thing with my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham. When properly driven and maintained, automatic transmissions last a long time, in many cases for the life of the car.

Automatic transmissions can be modified for teeth-jarring shifts, nothing "sissy" at all about that. One of my friends owned a '69 Ford Fairlane Cobra with a 428 engine, auto trans and 3.50:1 gears. When shifting from 1st to 2nd at full throttle, the rear tires would not just chirp but would actually start to spin! Again, those heavy-duty and/or modified automatic transmissions are not "sissy" at all. Especially when in an 11- or 12-second street driven muscle car.

Fleet, my last stick shift car ran 9.80's at 136 mph in the 1/4. Yeah, it was fun. The inline Hurst shifter was the thing that allowed me to be on my dial-in pass after pass. As for my sissy shift comment, I meant it when it comes to hauling anything from a boat to a car, whatever, todays automatics still do not hold up and are ultra expensive to rebuild. Get stuck side of the road with one 400 miles from home while towing your racecar and tell me again it was better than having a stick shift trans in that truck. Regardless of brand, the stick in any pickup will get 2-3 mpg better and unless you have no clue how to drive a stick and burn-up the clutch, will never leave you side of the road. Yes, that is the voice of multiple experience.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Fleet, my last stick shift car ran 9.80's at 136 mph in the 1/4. Yeah, it was fun. The inline Hurst shifter was the thing that allowed me to be on my dial-in pass after pass. As for my sissy shift comment, I meant it when it comes to hauling anything from a boat to a car, whatever, todays automatics still do not hold up and are ultra expensive to rebuild. Get stuck side of the road with one 400 miles from home while towing your racecar and tell me again it was better than having a stick shift trans in that truck. Regardless of brand, the stick in any pickup will get 2-3 mpg better and unless you have no clue how to drive a stick and burn-up the clutch, will never leave you side of the road. Yes, that is the voice of multiple experience.
You do realize that there are cars equipped with automatics which can also run high 9-second 1/4 miles?

Well, I am not familiar with today's automatic transmissions, but I do know that some of the '60s transmissions were very rugged.

For instance, the transmission in my '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham and '76 Limousine are original and have not been rebuilt. Especially impressive with the limo, since it weighs 6,000 lbs.

I agree that for off-roading a manual transmission is a better choice, but I don't do off-roading.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM

4,231 posts, read 7,242,465 times
I grew up on a farm and Dad taught me how to drive in the 1953 Ford pick up. It had a four speed manual with a Granny gear. It did not have synchronized shifting so I had to learn how to double-clutch. The first year ( I was six?) I had a difficult time reaching the pedals so Dad built some wooden blocks that would slip over the clutch, brake and foot feed so I could reach them. Within a few months I had mastered the manual and I had grown enough to do without the wooden blocks. Dad had several cars with automatic transmissions but I didn't get to drive them. He needed an extra field hand and he knew I would have to be able to drive equipment in order help him. His motives in teaching me how to drive were not altruistic. However he did a bit of dirt track racing and he let me drive the race car too. That came to a halt after I saw a Joey Chitwood show and I rolled his 51 Ford trying to keep it up on two wheels.
GL2

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or