U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 09:21 AM

693 posts, read 2,563,027 times

Advertisements

My car doors are a mess. Are the advertised products on TV effective on minor dents or scratches?

If not, where would I go to get these fixed that would not require a new paint job.

My car is only a year old and I am fretting over every scratch. Honestly, people in parking lots are very inconsiderate and I am getting more than my fair share.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:13 AM

1,955 posts, read 9,197,283 times
When was the last time any of the "as seen on TV" items were really as effective as they make it appear?

Scratches ... surface scratches on the clearcoat can be buffed out. Deeper, and it'll require touchup/clearcoat/polishing.

Dings ... look for "paintless dent repair".

Lastly, park farther from the entrance, away from "the lazy folks who care less" to minimize the chances of damage.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 AM

3,306 posts, read 9,006,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by from PA View Post
My car doors are a mess. Are the advertised products on TV effective on minor dents or scratches?

If not, where would I go to get these fixed that would not require a new paint job.

My car is only a year old and I am fretting over every scratch. Honestly, people in parking lots are very inconsiderate and I am getting more than my fair share.
The only way to combat this is to park far away from everyone else. I always park in the furthest reaches of the parking lots WAY off in the corners. Sooooo many times I watch people fling open their doors and ding someone else's car or they scrape their bags across paint jobs trying to get out from between the cars... it's horrible. I have even called people out on it while walking from my car to wherever I am going. Sometimes I just stare them down and let them know I just watched them be a completely inconsiderate piece of garbage.

It's very sad to watch everyone get out of their cars in such a careless fashion. These are selfish, rude, inconsiderate people... sometimes I just want to put a sledge hammer through their hood.

My advice, if you are physically capable, is to park where no one else wants to park. If you can't walk great distances then at least try and get a spot at the end of a row and within that spot park as far away from the adjacent vehicle as possible. This will keep stupid blissful children from whipping open a door into yours, careless people who swing their bags and belongings around when they get out and also those people who could not park straight/centered to save their life.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,789,338 times
We've used the dentless paint repair system before. If the paint is not creased and it is a small dent...it works great. Baseball hitting the back fender of my daughters car...a tool falling off the wall hitting another...worked great! Combination of them using dry ice and heavy duty suction cup like tool.
I always park waaaaaaay out in any parking lot. I can walk...and it keeps people from banging their doors into you. Between kids not caring (or being taught to be careful of others property) and just thoughtless people, I don't mind the walk and my car is completely dent free. I also collect any shopping carts that may be remotely in the vicinity of my car.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 PM

I am usually very careful where I park. I will not park next to a clunker,not to say that one is there when I return to my car, I always replace stray carts that are nearby and I won't park next to anything larger than a mid sized vehicle. Admittedly, I don't park far away and walk but guess it is necessary to save my finish. What a darn shame people are so uncaring and disrespectful in parking lots. I also wish there were separate spots for the huge trucks. Angular parking is better even for visibility when backing out. Cannot see around some of those monster trucks.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:12 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,548,929 times
Wash it and buff it with polishing compound before you get too upset - the stuff on the surface is sometimes all we see.

A life lesson, for those who have an ear.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:29 PM

1,964 posts, read 4,427,237 times
The mobile paintless ding removal techs do a great job! But it definitely depends on the skill of your operator. Some are sketch fly-by-nite guys who don't have a clue, so ask your dealer for a recommendation or a trusted detailer. Also detailers can often get rid of many of the surface scratches as long as it it doesn't show white (paint is still intact). If you can feel the gouge with your fingernail chances are that it's too deep & only a costly repaint ($800~$1100 per side) can fix it.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 PM

I had no idea it would cost that much. Hopefully, it can be buffed out.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:20 PM

415 posts, read 1,497,915 times
Post photos.

Quote:

Old 03-01-2010, 02:44 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times
Quote:

It would do well to consider where you park you vehicle to avoid these "parking lot battle scars" whenever you park in a lot. A few more steps is a lot cheaper than fixing these dents.

As to fixing these dents it will be expensive and will require repainting if done right. i know of no quick cheap way to bring your car back to like new condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or