U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 06:23 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,246,129 times

Advertisements

This is the official policy, from your state's website:Florida Attorney General - How to Protect Yourself: Buying a Used Car

The section that discusses "warranties" seems to indicate that you do not have any recourse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,571,952 times
NEVER EVER go to those little buy here pay here lots. Even if it isn't a buy here pay here lot, stay away from the little ones. They exist solely to rip people off, You can always threaten to take them to court and that may do the trick. Next time you go to buy a car, go to a reputable dealer.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:20 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,463,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Sorry to hear what has happened. I know it's a little late, but when you purchase something, by law, you have a 3 day return period. (Google it)

Sorry to tell you, but Mazda 626's are crap. I'm sure you had no clue. They are nice looking, but they have there share of problems. Before you buy another car, go onto carsurvey.org. That should help. Good Luck!

The first part is INCORRECT!

There is NO SUCH THING as a cooling off period for car sales. Once you buy a car, it's yours. UNLESS the car was bought at the buyer's home, which I doubt was the case.

But, you got that last part right. Those Mazda automatics are junk. A little asking around saved the OP this mess.

To get to the jist, the seller broke NO laws, there will be no lawyers jumping in to save the day, there will be no valisd lemon law claims, verbal promises do not hold water in court, and there will be no court victories. There may be a repair coming from buyer's own pocket change, though.

http://www.squidoo.com/car-return

NO CAR RETURNS!

There is no federal law requiring a car dealer or a person selling a car to take a car back.
Let me repeat that - there is no federal law requiring a dealer or seller to take a car back - you don't have 24 hours during which you can change your mind, you don't have three days to reconsider - when you buy a car it becomes your property.

Cooling off rule - it doesn't apply

30 day car return myth

The Federal Trade Commission's three-day right to cancel - called the Cooling-off Rule - gives you three days to cancel purchases of $25 or more made at the buyer's home, workplace or dormitory or at facilities rented by the seller on a short-term basis The cooling off rule applies only to purchases you make at home.

Now, if you convinced the dealership to come to your house and you completed the sale at your house - then the cooling off rule applies.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:25 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times
Different states have different laws regarding the "cooling-off" period. In NJ you can have up to two weeks on a car purchase, but you need to pay for mileage and any damage at the time of return.

Unfortunately it sounds like the OP may be stuck with the car in this case. It is always wise, especially with a used car purchase from a "less reputable" delearship to have a mechanic inspect the car. Of course, depending on the type of transmission failure even a good mechanic may not have been able to know before hand what would happen.

The only recourse now is to fix the car. I would highly suggest finding a good independent mechanic that can source a re-man transmission (from Jasper or similar company) and get the trans replaced. You never know, if you find someone who is willing to work with you, they may even let you make payments on it if you can give enough up front.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:56 AM

5,010 posts, read 12,812,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Sorry to hear what has happened. I know it's a little late, but when you purchase something, by law, you have a 3 day return period. (Google it)

No, you don't. In every state but one or two, you bought it, you own it.

Unless she is in a state that has a grace period, all she can do is sue.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:45 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,024,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Different states have different laws regarding the "cooling-off" period. In NJ you can have up to two weeks on a car purchase, but you need to pay for mileage and any damage at the time of return.

Unfortunately it sounds like the OP may be stuck with the car in this case. It is always wise, especially with a used car purchase from a "less reputable" delearship to have a mechanic inspect the car. Of course, depending on the type of transmission failure even a good mechanic may not have been able to know before hand what would happen.

The only recourse now is to fix the car. I would highly suggest finding a good independent mechanic that can source a re-man transmission (from Jasper or similar company) and get the trans replaced. You never know, if you find someone who is willing to work with you, they may even let you make payments on it if you can give enough up front.
I bought a 1977 Gran Prix in 1987 for 1800.00 from a Buy here Pay here and had no choice, had bad, bad credit. Paid 300 down and after 1 month tranny went out. I went to junk yard and got a used one for 150.00 and another 100.00 to install and it had a 30 day warrenty and lasted for 2 more yrs.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:02 PM

8,156 posts, read 26,425,344 times
I was gonna say... a 3 day return period on an 11 year old car???

Old 03-04-2010, 04:10 PM

18,097 posts, read 16,629,431 times
To the OP, you have learned a very tough and expensive leason. Always take a used car to a mechanic to get it inspected and stay away from fly by night car lots.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:02 PM

24,718 posts, read 59,596,711 times
Get a permit and picket the delarship. Try to get some friends to join you. Spend as much time as you can there holding up signs like "I got Lemon at ***"" Or "Talk to me before buying here" Even something like "Dissatisfied customer" or "I feel like I got ripped off" (Note "I feel like" not "I got ripped off"). Be certain that you only provide opinions or clear cut facts that they cannot possibly deny on your signs. Do not say "They knew that the transmission was bad" But you could say "Bad transmission in only ** days and *** delearship will do nothing"

Picketing is a real pain i the seat and you will think that you do nto have time to do it (but you do if you want to badly enough). However it is amazingly effective. They simply cannot have you out there. They will do something. Just be sure that you get a permit first and follow any restricitons (i.e. stay on the sidewalk, etc).

They may threaten to sue you. Tell them that if they did, your lawyer would bring an anti-slapp suit motion and they would end up paying you. You cannot afford a lawyer, but they cannot afford to sue you when they will just lose. Nor can they afford to have you continue to picket them.

They may get nasty and threaten you or stand around you in a circle or something. Just be nice to them nad keep holding up your signs. Do not get bligerent. If they curse at you or threaten you then bring a tape recorder or video camera and record what they do. Heck you could bring a big video camera and film your protest and if they ask what you are doing, tell them you a filming clips of your protest to send ot the local news stations. You might actually draw some media attention and then they will really be in a hurry to work things out with you.

If you show up for three or four days in a row, you should get a manger talking to you about resolution. to get a better deal, you could tell them that if they will do X to fix your car, then you will come back and hold up a sign that says that they fixed your car.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 PM

18,097 posts, read 16,629,431 times
Good idea coldjensens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive