U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 01:44 PM

460 posts, read 3,012,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
There is NO SUCH THING as a cooling off period for car sales. Once you buy a car, it's yours. UNLESS the car was bought at the buyer's home, which I doubt was the case.

Curious about that because I bought a used car at a guy's house and he presented me with an 'as is' form to sign stating sale is final, no refunds, etc and then I get the car home and find out the clutch is slipping bad. Didn't do it on test drive but as car warmed up it got worse. COULD'VE i returned the car the next day if I wanted to??

Btw I bought a clutch kit and with install total was $400 so was still happy with car either way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 10:38 AM

5,010 posts, read 12,827,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Curious about that because I bought a used car at a guy's house and he presented me with an 'as is' form to sign stating sale is final, no refunds, etc and then I get the car home and find out the clutch is slipping bad. Didn't do it on test drive but as car warmed up it got worse. COULD'VE i returned the car the next day if I wanted to??

Btw I bought a clutch kit and with install total was $400 so was still happy with car either way.

No.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:42 AM

1 posts, read 536 times
Chadro77- says " NEVER EVER go to those little buy here pay here lots. Even if it isn't a buy here pay here lot, stay away from the little ones. They exist solely to rip people off." May I point out that businesses (of all kinds) cannot be correctly judged by their size. Reputable is not determined by size of the company. And please show me a business which has only perfect practitioners. Of course, individual operators are not all good.

Over 20 MILLION new or recently new cars sold in the United States alone, have significant failures according to recent recalls. So, it seems that perfection is not certain even when spending $30,000 or more for a car. If we can not expect perfection in those circumstances, then what expectations should we realistically have for a product that is worn and sold for perhaps 20-35% of it new cost? Let's also look at another perspective.
Would YOU accept a low rate of return for a high risk investment? Or would you think it fair to receive a higher rate of return for a higher risk taken? How would you feel about guaranteeing a used product to perform when new products regularly fail soon after being received from the manufacturers who built them. Remember- the product is well used and you are charging perhaps 20-35% of its new cost. Oh, and you give your customer 100% of the product and receive perhaps only 5% of your money, and then you wait for a known unreliable customer to pay. But wait there's more!
You must hunt for the product on an individual basis, from varied sources, no two are the same, and you have limited chance to inspect the product before you purchase it.
After you purchase the product to sell, you rely on a mechanic who tells you he knows everything about every product, but seldom does. When he makes a mistake (and like all of us, he does make mistakes), your customer accuses you of any and everything he can think of at the time. Between 8-40% of your customers will attempt to continue to use the product without paying as they promise to do. You may have to (figuratively) chase them from state to state, requesting only what was promised to you.
Also, machines seem to have a habit of working fine one day, and without warning, something fails the next. When this happens, your customer will accuse you of any and everything he can think of at the time. (Because some guy on the internet told him that you knew what would fail and when, and therefore, were a uniquely evil human being.) Even though your customer may pay three times the lowest rates for his auto insurance, and higher rates for any and everything he finances due to poor payment history, if you take this into account in the terms of your agreement with him, he may take this as confirmation that you are a uniquely evil human being (as directed by nameless faceless internet cynic). It seems to go unnoticed that most providers do not offer finance to such customers or the low cost cars which are most often required to fit their limited budgets. The high profile sellers leave this segment of the market to walk or ride the bus.
'Buy-here-pay-here' exists for people who do not pay their bills as agreed (bad credit-no credit customers). It is the art of providing a low cost imperfect product to an imperfect customer.
Buying a used car is like bringing home new puppy- Don't bring one home unless you can afford it, agree to be responsible for its' care and feeding and any messes it creates.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,451,454 times
Unless a car dealer has a pretty good story, consumers tend to do pretty well in small claims court. Unfortunately, the scandal here to me is a $300 fee for filing a case in Orlando. Typically, these cases cost $15 or so to file all over the US. Geez, talk about trying to keep people out of court. Isn't "small claims" supposed to facilitate an orderly resolution of these small matters? Good job Orlando!

Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 AM

3,054 posts, read 5,037,775 times
I wonder how this turned out for her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive