U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 13,432 times

Advertisements

I'm writing this Letter because I dont know where to go from here. I bought a 99 Mazda 626 from Moderator cut: Please don't mention the dealership by name as we're not a forum for consumer complaints. I test drove the car, and ran a carfax, and fell in love with the car. I bought the car Feb 4th at 6pm before work. By 7pm the next day I was having it towed back home. AAA tow-man said it was my transmission. I called the dealer the next day letting him know exactly what happened. The dealer replied it was a fuse that went bad, and that he would come check it out Monday. Monday I called the dealer several times since someone would answer and hang right back up. My friend sitting beside me called and the guy answered right away. When my friend said he was calling for me about the Mazda, he stated he had family in town and wouldnt be able to see it til Wednesday. I called the guy back asking if I had it towed to the lot if he can have anyone check it out that day. He replied no. Wednesday I called and most the morning he didnt answer. By the time he did answer after playing phone tag with the dealer and his sons, it was too late to do anything about the car before it was time for me to be at work. The dealer mentioned that he may be able to trade out my mazda for something on the lot. I went to the lot to check out what other cars they had, and the lot looked empty which was odd since 4 days prior there were at least 10-12 cars. with only 4 cars on the property. 2 of the cars they said they could not offer me, but he offered me a 99 neon, as an even trade, even though the car was listed online as 300$ cheaper. It drove OK, but interior looked disgusting. I seen a 97 Honda accord, that drove nice, but the whole interior was destroyed. when I asked them about the accord, the dealer told me I would have to pay 800 dollars more to get the accord. I asked the gentleman for my money back, explaining to the dealer that I don't mind coming 300$ or so short to have a refund, that I would cut that fee as a loss. the Dealer told me no. I told the guy I didn't like where this is going, I cant get my money back, I can either get a very dirty car, that isn't worth the money I paid, or get another car that I have to pay 800$ more not counting the repairs I would have to do to the car, or keep the car I have that doesn't run.

I understand the term as-is, but as a single mother I bought this car running. I did not have this car for a month or so where all I have to blame is myself. I had this car right at 24 hours, before it crumbles before me. Thank the lord my little girl was not in the back seat when my car broke down at the light, because the situation could have drastically been worse. the dealer is giving me the run around after selling me a car that I feel was timed to go out on me.

I saved money for months to buy a car for my little girl and I, and cannot afford to go and purchase another vehicle, or even so, repair the transmission to the mazda. I cannot afford a lawyer, and do not know where to go from here.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-02-2010 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Moved from Orlando, FL forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 AM

11,472 posts, read 25,695,605 times
Sorry to hear what has happened. I know it's a little late, but when you purchase something, by law, you have a 3 day return period. (Google it) This dealer is giving you the run around. I wouldn't take a filthy car either. If I were you, I'd take him to small claims court. Explain to the judge that you tried to return the car in the three day grace period and he refused to take it back. You tried to do everything possible to work with this dealer and he would not cooperate. Take your phone records with you to prove that you tried calling him several times.

I wouldn't be suprised if the judge tells him to return your money or repair the transmission. What a jerk! This is part of the reason I never go to car dealers, period!

Sorry to tell you, but Mazda 626's are crap. I'm sure you had no clue. They are nice looking, but they have there share of problems. Before you buy another car, go onto carsurvey.org. That should help. Good Luck!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:13 AM

I have records of my phone record and my friends phone record that also called for me as well

as well as easily getting statement from my mechanic of it being my whole transmission and not something simple...

small claims court for the car would cost 300$. Just nerveous I would get that one judge that would only think as is, and then I would be out another 300$

I did ask for my refund when I talked to him the day after I towed it home, which still puts me before 48 hours had gone by

My mechanic says also on the claim include the Court fee, insurance for the month that I couldnt use it . would that be correct?

Im not looking to get away with more than what is deserved.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmfan681 View Post
I have records of my phone record and my friends phone record that also called for me as well

as well as easily getting statement from my mechanic of it being my whole transmission and not something simple...

small claims court for the car would cost 300$. Just nerveous I would get that one judge that would only think as is, and then I would be out another 300$

I did ask for my refund when I talked to him the day after I towed it home, which still puts me before 48 hours had gone by

My mechanic says also on the claim include the Court fee, insurance for the month that I couldnt use it . would that be correct?

Im not looking to get away with more than what is deserved.
Yes, that is correct. Ask for those fees. I'd approach the dealer one more time and kindly ask for a refund. Explain to him that if it can't be resolved now, you'll have to take him to court. It maybe worth it to him to take care of it now instead of going to court.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 AM

23 posts, read 55,523 times
If I were you I would get in touch with the Attorney Generals Office ASAP, as well as Better Business Bureau and file complaints. The AG is pretty good about ripping a "new hole" with businesses operating in this fashion.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I know it's a little late, but when you purchase something, by law, you have a 3 day return period. (Google it)
This applies to cars as well? The paper says as is, but someone sent me this link

Florida Used Car Lemon Law | Used Car Lemon Law FL

with what that is saying with the UDAP laws, they didnt disclose to me that the transmission had anything wrong with it, maybe that will help my case as well? I need to file the claim tomorrow morning, but trying to grab everything I can to make my case so the chances of me losing are unlikely, i hope.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
This applies to cars as well? The paper says as is, but someone sent me this link

with what that is saying with the UDAP laws, they didnt disclose to me that the transmission had anything wrong with it, maybe that will help my case as well? I need to file the claim tomorrow morning, but trying to grab everything I can to make my case so the chances of me losing are unlikely, i hope.
Yes, bring everything you have to support your case. That may help your case aslo that they didn't disclose there was a problem with the transmission. The fact of the matter is that you have to stick on the 3 day return period and the transmission problem. Reason being, is that you did buy it as-is.

Lemon laws in FL are for new cars only, so that won't work. I saw this on the local news. They did say that you do have a 3 day grace period to return though.

One thing you may do is call an attorney for free advice. They will give you limited info, but it will help.

Here's the law: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...eturning_a_car

Old 03-02-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:

I looked up the UDAP law also. I would definately use that as part of your case too. The more research you can do to educate yourself, the better.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:47 PM

If you decide to take it to court, let us know what the outcome is.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:01 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,605,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
when you purchase something, by law, you have a 3 day return period. (Google it)
The law yu mention is good for everything but automobiles...!
A single mom with no knowledge must have a mechanic inspect a car or plan on getting into trouble. It's cheaper to pay to have a car inspected than to lose the entire amount spent on the car...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive