U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,261,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
Crystal ball: Within 5 years, Ford will become the #1 automaker in America, in both sales volume and overall brand-image / popularity.

Mark my words! You read it here first.

I also predict that Chrysler will go belly-up within 10-12 years. This I'm not as sure of, but if it were to happen it won't surprise me.
I could see your first point being very possible.

On your second point with Chrysler, I think they will hang on. Chrysler has been through so many near-death experiences, yet they always seem to make a comeback. The updated Charger and 300C are on their way, and apparently they are really good updates inside and out. Then for 2011-12 Chrysler gets a couple small cars and a new midsizer (sans the Sebring name), and Dodge gets a new Avenger. Had they not teamed up with Fiat, they would have surely gone away. This Fiat partnership changes the game.

Compare the two photos...it's pretty clear there is some significant body work update to the Charger. The windshield has a steeper rake, the greenhouse is lower, the hump in the back has been replaced with a smoother flare, and the front grille is not as canted forward as the current car. While they look similar overall, these little changes such as the greenhouse and rear hump are not cheap fixes, so I imagine the rest of the vehicle hidden under the camo will be even more differentiated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:56 PM

867 posts, read 1,797,383 times
Couldn't think of a better company to do it I'm sure Henry Ford is smiling

Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 AM

1,634 posts, read 3,341,905 times
I applaud and root for Ford.

I hope they keep innovating and hope that the recent revues, reliability and success is not fleeting.

Only time will tell.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I could see your first point being very possible.

On your second point with Chrysler, I think they will hang on. Chrysler has been through so many near-death experiences, yet they always seem to make a comeback. The updated Charger and 300C are on their way, and apparently they are really good updates inside and out. Then for 2011-12 Chrysler gets a couple small cars and a new midsizer (sans the Sebring name), and Dodge gets a new Avenger. Had they not teamed up with Fiat, they would have surely gone away. This Fiat partnership changes the game.

Compare the two photos...it's pretty clear there is some significant body work update to the Charger. The windshield has a steeper rake, the greenhouse is lower, the hump in the back has been replaced with a smoother flare, and the front grille is not as canted forward as the current car. While they look similar overall, these little changes such as the greenhouse and rear hump are not cheap fixes, so I imagine the rest of the vehicle hidden under the camo will be even more differentiated.

ooohhhh... styling changes! That will work.

I think Chrysler's only chance is if Fiat is successful in bringing in reliable and innovative cars that the American public will accept. Only then will we be able to enjoy the more 'enthusiast' oriented cars that were such a hit 40 + years ago.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:24 AM

1,379 posts, read 2,261,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
ooohhhh... styling changes! That will work.

I think Chrysler's only chance is if Fiat is successful in bringing in reliable and innovative cars that the American public will accept. Only then will we be able to enjoy the more 'enthusiast' oriented cars that were such a hit 40 + years ago.
This update is more than skin deep. It should be getting the new Phoenix V6 that is promising class-leading fuel economy, and it will be receiving a completely new interior. I'm sure there will be other tweaks as well.

Modern Fiats are reliable and popular cars over in Europe; they were all over the place when I lived over there. They are not the same Fiats as those that graced our shores 20 years ago. Building a globalized car will not be a problem for Fiat; the real test will be the styling for the North American versions. The rebadged Lancia-Chrysler shown at the Chicago Auto Show is not going to cut it. Either they strive for something that will suit both continents like Ford has done, or they need to offer something a little bolder to appeal to American tastes.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
This update is more than skin deep. It should be getting the new Phoenix V6 that is promising class-leading fuel economy, and it will be receiving a completely new interior. I'm sure there will be other tweaks as well.

Modern Fiats are reliable and popular cars over in Europe; they were all over the place when I lived over there. They are not the same Fiats as those that graced our shores 20 years ago. Building a globalized car will not be a problem for Fiat; the real test will be the styling for the North American versions. The rebadged Lancia-Chrysler shown at the Chicago Auto Show is not going to cut it. Either they strive for something that will suit both continents like Ford has done, or they need to offer something a little bolder to appeal to American tastes.
I have made it no secret that I do not trust modern Chrysler products, so a new V6 and interior are just more of the same from an inferior marque for me.

I agree that modern Fiats are a great possibility here in the US, I even liked the old ones, when they ran. It seems you I agree Fiat could be the saviour for Chrysler, and I hope it pans out. Business as usual for the will not cut it.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:25 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,321,738 times
it is funny. i want Ford to do well, there is no question about that.

but do i want to own one of their cars? i don't know. probably not.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:44 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,266,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
it is funny. i want Ford to do well, there is no question about that.

but do i want to own one of their cars? i don't know. probably not.
Why not?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,321,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Why not?

i drive a lincoln now, and it is a real piece of crap.

i paid good money for it @ 12k miles, taken good care of it, but it has depreciated insanely.

the car is essentially run by poorly designed sensors, giving it "a mind of its own." any number of mysterious situations will cause the car to turn off on the highway, engage the ABS while coasting/accelerating, misfire and start to kick like a mule, or just disable itself and limit you to 35mph until you can limp to a mechanic to get a replacement traction control / throttle / abs / whatever sensor for a few hundred $$. all this would be more tolerable if mechanics had any idea how to permenantly "fix" these issues, but it is like something new every few months. it is "interesting", i will say that.

and that doesn't take into account all the nick-nacks that are sub-par quality "luxury" features. i could write you a book on the minor things that go wrong. it is like the car is booby trapped, or cursed. it just hit 60k miles, and for 2009 i spent more on repairs than i did on gasoline! literally.

Last edited by le roi; 03-03-2010 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,685,987 times
Ford has to do well, or they will end up bankrupt. Unlike GM and Chrysler, Ford is still carrying over $26 billion in debt. The sneaky/smart thing Ford had done is leverage their assets to get that debt restructured. Consequently the securers of Ford's credit lines were some of the largest recipients of TARP money. So, indirectly Ford was bailed out as the debt restructuring they did was only possible do to TARP funds. If Ford falters they may go down the same path GM did, only 5-10 years later.

I do enthusiastically root for them though. They have been getting bolder in their design and product and are making some big splashes now and gaining market share. They could truly be one of the most succesful American companies over the next decade. However, all is not rosy and Ford has it's own issues to deal with. A big one right now is the rash of transmission failures that are effecting the Fusion and Escape line. Ford is avoiding a recall that would hurt their image and is silently dealing with the issue through TSB's.

I'm cheering for both of the hometown boys (sorry Chrysler). It's been a long time since we could get excited about products rolling off the lines at Ford and GM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or