Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 11:16 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That's true. I guess some people just can't admit that Toyotas have hard seats and are not known as a "comfortable" car.
I guess you just cannot admit that your definition of 'comfortable' may be different than some one elses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
"Comfortable" is in the arse of the beholder, I am much more comfortable in supportive seats (not necessarily Toyota) than the 'pillow' seats that you prefer. To each his/her own.

I am much more comfortable in my fifties tech Triumph seats than my '09 Expedition work truck because I value control over plush.
Actually, except for the back seat of my limo, which is done in crushed velour, my cars don't have "pillow" seats. My leather seats are soft and plush, but not really pillow-type seats.

You are probably thinking of the type of seats like the one in the photo below... a '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance. This car belongs to a friend. I've rode in it several times. Very comfortable seats; you sink about 5 inches in them and that plus the smooth ride makes for a very enjoyable luxury ride.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:34 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm still sold on Toyota. I have an 82 Celica and an 85 Supra. And if I should buy another one, I'll buy another older one, and have it completely refurbished. Perhaps an older Cressida.
Cressida, the forerunner of the Lexus. One hell of a car. I'd love to find an old Cressida to fix up.

http://www.edmunds.com/pictures/VEHICLE/1991/Toyota/11596/1991.toyota.cressida.10118-396x249.jpg (broken link)

As for me, I'll continue to buy Toyota's. I've owned nothing but for 20+ years now and they have proven to be the most reliable brand out there, and will continue to be.

While friends and family's Fords, Chevys, and Hondas have broken down over the years, I have yet to be the victim of even ONE single breakdown, and I've driven the Toyotas that I've owned hundreds of thousands of miles.

I'll continue to buy them in the future as well.

Last edited by buzzpost; 03-03-2010 at 03:49 AM..

Old 03-03-2010, 03:46 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
its a backroom deal. the entire toyota incompetency thing is a an attempt to move all auto industry to china, its the only way china is willing to keep loaning us money.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:16 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
No problems with my 08 Camry except just normal wear. I am still loyal to the brand, I read all these BS from people switching brands and stuff because of the media hype. Personally I think they're gullible androids.
On the other hand, I will trade it at the end of the year not because of disloyalty but because I want something either faster (STI) or roomier (Tahoe/Yukon).

Old 03-03-2010, 05:59 AM

444 posts, read 1,250,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its a backroom deal. the entire toyota incompetency thing is a an attempt to move all auto industry to china, its the only way china is willing to keep loaning us money.
Conspiracy theorist or are there some articles about this?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:13 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,000 times
To answer the thread question it's because they didn't offer

http://images.craigslist.org/3o43p13le5T55Pa5Rca3549dbe8c4aeae1209.jpg (broken link)

to stop the "getaway" ones.

Old 03-05-2010, 12:51 PM

380 posts, read 642,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Chuckle? That is an opportunity! Let the chicken littles drive the price down, and the rational among us will snap up the deals.

Too bad I am not in the market for a car, otherwise I would take advantage of the hysteria and get a good deal.
Agreed. Now is the best time ever to buy a Toyota or Lexus.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:06 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
It is a fact that 56 to 150 people have died due to sudden acceleration problems while driving a Toyota. Had those people bought any other car brand they would still be alive today. However the clincher for me is the incompetence and arrogance showed by Toyota's North American CEO during the congressional trial. To say he wanted to have technicians look at the 100 mph Lexus 4 years after the fact just blew me away. They are still lying about the cause, now confirmed after cars with the pedal spring repaired in the recall still having sudden acceleration.

I've owned 3 wonderful Toyota products (92 Corolla, 91 Camry, and 00 Corolla) but after this circus my next vehicle will be a Ford Focus Coupe, both made in America and designed by Americans.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:08 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,657,526 times
I made the switch from Honda (Accords only) to Toyota for the first time in 2003. I've had in the past 7 years three cars and one truck. The current car is the only one so far that I'll still have after I'm done making the payments. I had already decided that I will most likely return to Honda for the next car. Something I noticed different about Toyota is that the quality/reliability varies greatly based on the cost of the vehicle, which can be a problem given the premium price one pays for a Toyota. There are also some nagging "things" that drive me nuts that I wish Toyota would get rid of. The current car definitely suffers from fit and finish problems, and has had problems ranging from hard starts and rough idling (a known problem that I have to pay to have repaired) to requiring three complete sets of tires in 60,000 miles as well as a complete braking system overhaul. With a 4-cylinder engine/automatic that's definitely lacking on power, it's not very frugal on gas, and handling is only so-so anyway (I have an odd problem with traction under normal conditions, both with the front wheels spinning even when using a light touch, and with the back end occasionally breaking loose on a corner).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion