Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 09:46 PM

16,924 posts, read 12,473,274 times

Advertisements

What are the SPECIFIC weak parts of a 2000 Caddy Sedan de Ville? My parents have a line on one with 40K miles for $3500.

Before the "buy a 30 year old Honda with 400K miles for the same money" crowd kicks in. They would walk before they bought a foreign name plate.

Just looking for the parts that most frequently break on this car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 10:08 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
The head gasket on the Northstar engine is a trouble spot on the DeVille. As I understand it, the bolts pull out of the block under pressure, causing the head gasket to weaken. Then the head gasket fails, requiring a new gasket, and a replacement of the bolts with a stronger stud kit, which is better than the insert kits sold to try to remedy the problem. It's a relatively expensive fix, since it's very labor intensive, and I think that the engine needs to be removed from the car .

$3500 is a good price for the car, but I'd pay attention to the head gasket. It would cost a couple of thousand to fix it properly, IIRC. I cannot remember what a relative paid for that fix on a STS, but it was not inexpensive.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 02-28-2010, 03:11 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,113,448 times
The transmissions are also a weak point from what I see on my used car searches. The reason being is the northstar had too much power for the transmission that came with it.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:21 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,148,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The head gasket on the Northstar engine is a trouble spot on the DeVille. As I understand it, the bolts pull out of the block under pressure, causing the head gasket to weaken. Then the head gasket fails, requiring a new gasket, and a replacement of the bolts with a stronger stud kit, which is better than the insert kits sold to try to remedy the problem. It's a relatively expensive fix, since it's very labor intensive, and I think that the engine needs to be removed from the car .

$3500 is a good price for the car, but I'd pay attention to the head gasket. It would cost a couple of thousand to fix it properly, IIRC. I cannot remember what a relative paid for that fix on a STS, but it was not inexpensive.
+1 You should definitely factor the gasket into the price. Once modified, those engines last forever. I would say it's worth it in that regard.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:22 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,148,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The transmissions are also a weak point from what I see on my used car searches. The reason being is the northstar had too much power for the transmission that came with it.

I have seen more than a few of these cars run pretty hard... those automatics can hold their ground well.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The head gasket on the Northstar engine is a trouble spot on the DeVille. As I understand it, the bolts pull out of the block under pressure, causing the head gasket to weaken. Then the head gasket fails, requiring a new gasket, and a replacement of the bolts with a stronger stud kit, which is better than the insert kits sold to try to remedy the problem. It's a relatively expensive fix, since it's very labor intensive,
and I think that the engine needs to be removed from the car
It's a 40+ hour job and yes, the engine has to come out.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:49 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,113,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
It's a 40+ hour job and yes, the engine has to come out.
Geez, than that would mean the total cost of doing a head gasket is around $4,000. I hardly think it would even be worth doing since you could get a new engine for that much.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,243,414 times
If they can get it for $3500 and spend another $4k or so on the head gasket replacement and stud conversion, it's still a lot of car for the money. A Park Avenue could easily be more than $7-$8k with that low mileage, and some of the 3.8 6-cylinder engines in the Park Avenue were not immune to head gasket issues, though I don't think they're as prevalent as it can be with a Northstar.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,448,655 times
That's a car you pass on as it is more like a lotta' hassle for the money.

An engine is $4000ish and given that it is all aluminum, it's not rebuildable...at least the aftermarket thinks as much as they are boat anchors if overheated beyond a certain point.

Heck, a friend of mine traded a 1999 Deville with 39,000 on it for a 2010 GMC Canyon as he found out that even the first electronic gizmo repair on it costs you $500 easy. That was just fora steering stabilizer sensor, so I can hardly imagine how frequently a 2000 with more miles on it would do someone in.

So, to answer the last question, anything is fair game to break on a luxo car that old.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 AM

444 posts, read 1,243,227 times
Great looking car and nice mileage on it. I've been looking at these cars as well..see my "used car 3k-5k" thread. With the issues mentioned, I have second thoughts on these cars..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive