Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 07:37 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

My son is in the military. He bought a car in SC, he registered it in OH, but he lives in GA and has now just registered it in GA.

When he bought it in SC, they said he did not need to pay the sales tax. I don't know why. He has just gotten a notice from OH saying he owes it to OH.

Does he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 07:41 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Every car I have ever purchased here in Tennessee I have had to pay tax on when I go get the license plates. Just paid $$ on getting plates for my 91 Caprice today.

IMO, once tax is paid on a car when its NEW, that should be it.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Every vehicle I have bought new or used, you pay sales tax to the State you first register it.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:56 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
Sales tax is generally paid in the state it is registered in. If it is still in the state of previous registration then the tax would be the state tax of record. The city of which it was registered in gets a % of the tax paid.

If registering into another state (different plates) then tax would be paid at the NEW state and their fee.

Now if the person is in the military I do believe there is a different set of rules exempting them from registering the car due to possible short tour in that state.

Here in San Diego Ca I once in a while see a sailor driving a car with out of state plates...calif has a law that people are supposed to register their car within 10 days of being in the state. Servicemen are all at a temporary duty station and may leave any time.

Hope my confusing answer helps.

Steve

Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
If he's in the military he needs to change his home of record away from Ohio to some low tax state - I can't say off the top of my head which one is right but Ohio is IMHO definitely wrong.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:02 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,639,216 times
Don't know about other states, but California does NOT charge sales tax on a used vehicle, they charge "Used Tax". It just happens to be the same amount as sales tax...
When you make the rules, you can get around anything...!

Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Each state varies, but yes, I can explain.

Someone sold a consumer a good, and it gets taxed, like everything else.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Each state varies, but yes, I can explain.

Someone sold a consumer a good, and it gets taxed, like everything else.
Ok, I get that the tax needs to be paid to someone, and I guess they did not collect it in SC because it was not registered in SC. I suppose since it was registered first in OH, then they are right to be asking for it.
All of my sons who were in the military kept their home state (OH) as their state of residence even though they were home owners in other states...a concept I really find confusing.
Anyhow, thanks everyone for weighing in.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Sales tax is generally paid in the state it is registered in. If it is still in the state of previous registration then the tax would be the state tax of record. The city of which it was registered in gets a % of the tax paid.

If registering into another state (different plates) then tax would be paid at the NEW state and their fee.

Now if the person is in the military I do believe there is a different set of rules exempting them from registering the car due to possible short tour in that state.

Here in San Diego Ca I once in a while see a sailor driving a car with out of state plates...calif has a law that people are supposed to register their car within 10 days of being in the state. Servicemen are all at a temporary duty station and may leave any time.

Hope my confusing answer helps.

Steve
Steve, are you saying that despite the fact it was first registered in OH, my son should pay the sales tax to GA, since that's where the car is registered now? Or should he obay the notice he got and pay OH?
I trust he will figure this out himself, but he's my baby and I'm used to trying to fix everything for him...gives me something to do, LOL.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:54 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok, I get that the tax needs to be paid to someone, and I guess they did not collect it in SC because it was not registered in SC. I suppose since it was registered first in OH, then they are right to be asking for it.
All of my sons who were in the military kept their home state (OH) as their state of residence even though they were home owners in other states...a concept I really find confusing.
Anyhow, thanks everyone for weighing in.

If he bought it in SC but registered it in OH, the dealership he bought it from sent all the relevant paperwork to OH.

You pay the taxes where you register it, so he was exempt from SC taxes but not Ohio taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive