U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 06:09 AM

12,553 posts, read 18,926,430 times

Advertisements

Why leave a note if there is no damage? It was just a parking lot ding. Don't overreact.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:10 AM

10,485 posts, read 22,550,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I would not touch another's car! If I came out and found someone putting rubbing compound on my car, there would be hell to pay!
In the future...fess up! You hit the car, take some responsibility! You obviously know that, with your comments. You know what your parents would have told you to do? I think you do. If your old enough to drive, your old enough to know what responsibility is.
Had I hit the car...I would have waited and not moved my car. If they still did not return, than a note with your info under the windshield wiper.

I hope you know I was not suggesting the OP do this without contacting the person first. I would be very upset too if I saw someone doing that to my car. Just to clear this up, get a hold of the person that you hit. Then offer to fix it yourself. A shop is going to do the same exact thing except charge a lot of money for it.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:12 AM

2,073 posts, read 3,677,715 times
If it's bumper to bumper at under 5 mph, I wouldn't bother bringing it up at all. That's why they made the things.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:13 AM

470 posts, read 1,198,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Everyone,

The police will not even come out to private property to take a report. There is no way this person will be charged for hit and run.

Uhhhh, yeah they will. My neighbor hit my car a few days after i bought my house (condo complex - private property). I watched her do it and confronted her and she took off. 10 min later I saw her get home and drive VERY fast into her garage where she stayed cooped up. I called the police and they came and took a report. The officer banged on her door for 10 min and she wouldn’t answer. He sat in the parking lot for 2 hours waiting to see if she would come out and never did. He came back and told me he was issuing a warrant for her for a hit and run.

The police absolutely will respond to private property. Also, he said this was at school. I'm guessing it’s a high school. The police absolutely will respond.

The poster can also go to the office with the plate number and ask them to get a hold of the owner. Most schools require students and staff to register their cars with the office.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 AM

10,485 posts, read 22,550,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
Uhhhh, yeah they will. My neighbor hit my car a few days after i bought my house (condo complex - private property). I watched her do it and confronted her and she took off. 10 min later I saw her get home and drive VERY fast into her garage where she stayed cooped up. I called the police and they came and took a report. The officer banged on her door for 10 min and she wouldn’t answer. He sat in the parking lot for 2 hours waiting to see if she would come out and never did. He came back and told me he was issuing a warrant for her for a hit and run.

The police absolutely will respond to private property. Also, he said this was at school. I'm guessing it’s a high school. The police absolutely will respond.

The poster can also go to the office with the plate number and ask them to get a hold of the owner. Most schools require students and staff to register their cars with the office.
It could be different where you are from. What I said is absolutely true in Phoenix AZ (where I grew up). In Phoenix, (even on public roads) a hit and run has to have injuries for the charge to be issued. I have been hit in parking lots multiple times and the police would not come out telling me just what I posted.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:21 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,795,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I hope you know I was not suggesting the OP do this without contacting the person first. I would be very upset too if I saw someone doing that to my car. Just to clear this up, get a hold of the person that you hit. Then offer to fix it yourself. A shop is going to do the same exact thing except charge a lot of money for it.
Sorry LVD...that is exactly what I thought. I hope the OP understands that as well.
I hadn't thought about going into the office for info with license #! Great advice!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:30 AM

1,592 posts, read 2,998,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Today, I was pulling into a parking spot at school when I accidentally hit the car parked next to it. The car alarm went off for a minute or so and then the lights kept blinking (might have been hazards, not sure). Due to a combination of embarrassment and stupidity, I pulled out of the spot and parked somewhere nearby. As I walked by the car (lights were still blinking) I examined it and it looked fine, but I was too dumb to leave a note (I just got my license a couple of months ago and fear my parents' reaction to me already getting in an accident). Once school was over in the afternoon, I walked back to have a second look and it appears that I left a mark on the car, but no dent. It looks like the mark is actually the paint that came off my car and stuck to his/her car. I've been wrecked with guilt and fear of being caught since I did it (seeing as how at least one other person witnessed it) even though the damage appears to be either minor or nonexistent. It doesn't help the situation that the car is a BMW. My question is, how should I proceed now? It's likely the owner wouldn't even notice, as the mark looks like a dirt stain and the car already had scratches on it. However, I think I'll just end up feeling guilty if I don't do anything. Should I leave a note (and what should I write on this note) if I see the car again? Thanks for your help.
Yes. You'll feel better that you did. More than likely, they'll let it go. Honesty is the best policy.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:38 AM

921 posts, read 1,337,896 times
How does this sound as a note?

"As I was pulling in to park, I accidentally bumped in to the back right bumper of your car. It doesn't appear to have done any damage. If you need to contact me, you can call me at *insert phone number*."

Is that enough?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:58 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,346,010 times
I wonder if the posters saying "forget it, it's no big deal" would feel the same way if it was their car that was hit?

Anyway, do whatever it takes to locate the owner. Not only will it make you feel better to get this behind you, it's just the right thing to do. Let the BMW owner decide if there was no damage.

Good idea about checking with the school office.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:59 AM

921 posts, read 1,337,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I wonder if the posters saying "forget it, it's no big deal" would feel the same way if it was their car that was hit?

Anyway, do whatever it takes to locate the owner. Not only will it make you feel better to get this behind you, it's just the right thing to do. Let the BMW owner decide if there was no damage.

Good idea about checking with the school office.
What about leaving the note on the windshield wipers with what I said above?

No damage was done I don't think anyways, looks like my car is the one that lost the paint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive