U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 AM
 
6,368 posts, read 13,398,158 times
Reputation: 5863

Advertisements

If it were me I'd at least try to get the owners number first. I'd rather call them than wait around wondering if and when they might call me.

And again, I'd let the BMW owner decide if he has any damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-04-2010, 02:44 PM
 
2,076 posts, read 3,696,006 times
Reputation: 2510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
I wonder if the posters saying "forget it, it's no big deal" would feel the same way if it was their car that was hit?
.
Yes. To me, bumper rash is not worth getting worked up over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
 
Location: California
10,091 posts, read 35,901,380 times
Reputation: 22074
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Yes. To me, bumper rash is not worth getting worked up over.
And, the owner of the BMW may very well feel the same way. But it is she/he, who should be the one to decide if it is a "big deal". A bumper rash would be a big deal for me and my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 05:09 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 4,572,437 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Today, I was pulling into a parking spot at school when I accidentally hit the car parked next to it. The car alarm went off for a minute or so and then the lights kept blinking (might have been hazards, not sure). Due to a combination of embarrassment and stupidity, I pulled out of the spot and parked somewhere nearby. As I walked by the car (lights were still blinking) I examined it and it looked fine, but I was too dumb to leave a note (I just got my license a couple of months ago and fear my parents' reaction to me already getting in an accident). Once school was over in the afternoon, I walked back to have a second look and it appears that I left a mark on the car, but no dent. It looks like the mark is actually the paint that came off my car and stuck to his/her car. I've been wrecked with guilt and fear of being caught since I did it (seeing as how at least one other person witnessed it) even though the damage appears to be either minor or nonexistent. It doesn't help the situation that the car is a BMW. My question is, how should I proceed now? It's likely the owner wouldn't even notice, as the mark looks like a dirt stain and the car already had scratches on it. However, I think I'll just end up feeling guilty if I don't do anything. Should I leave a note (and what should I write on this note) if I see the car again? Thanks for your help.


Grrrrrrr! my car was just hit sitting on the side of the road. a bit worse than the damage you did. nobody left a note so now i'm $500 out of pocket for the deductable and my premiums going to go up next year! anyway if your paint is on her car, chances are it will polish out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 05:12 PM
 
6,368 posts, read 13,398,158 times
Reputation: 5863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
And, the owner of the BMW may very well feel the same way. But it is she/he, who should be the one to decide if it is a "big deal". A bumper rash would be a big deal for me and my car.


Anyway, who can say for sure there's no hidden damage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 PM
 
921 posts, read 1,343,102 times
Reputation: 606
I tried to leave a note today but the car had already left by the time I got out there.

I'm contemplating whether it is even worth it at this point. Obviously the car wasn't damaged mechanically since the person drove it today and yesterday. The mark appears to be gone and I'd probably just look like an idiot leaving a note 2 days after it happened.

Nonetheless, this lesson will serve to teach me how to react in this situation next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: California
10,091 posts, read 35,901,380 times
Reputation: 22074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I tried to leave a note today but the car had already left by the time I got out there.

I'm contemplating whether it is even worth it at this point. Obviously the car wasn't damaged mechanically since the person drove it today and yesterday. The mark appears to be gone and I'd probably just look like an idiot leaving a note 2 days after it happened.

Nonetheless, this lesson will serve to teach me how to react in this situation next time.
Sorry....to me, that sounds just your wiggling out of the situation. You can go to the office and find the owner very easily...and no, you wouldn't look like a idiot. You'd look like someone who was taking responsibility for something he did. JMO of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 08:17 PM
 
Location: High Cotton
6,131 posts, read 6,264,065 times
Reputation: 3657
People bump and scratch cars all the time when parking, getting out of a car, getting into a car, loading a car, unloading a car, etc. - with bumpers, car doors, pocket books, belt buckles, grocery carts, purchased goods, etc., etc., etc.

Do you people really (really) think even a tiny percentage of people that do this leave a note or call the cops? Get real!!! I'll bet every damn one of you have hit or scratched another car and did not leave a note or call the cops. Right? Damn right!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC & New York
10,761 posts, read 25,625,449 times
Reputation: 6724
You're certainly not public enemy number one over the issue, but I would try to stake out the car and find the owner. When you see them, say that you tapped their car when parking and wanted to be sure that there was no damage to it, since it wasn't apparent that there was any damage.

You can also go to the office and go that route to find the owner as has been suggested. I would talk to the person, however, since a note is impersonal and can blow away or be "adjusted" in terms of a practical joke, which is not unknown among the student population.

The owner may think he/she gave the bumper rash parking in the mall or in their garage, but the right thing to do is to talk to them about the situation. And, even if they have no damage, I'd pay to have the car washed/waxed, which you can do by getting a gift certificate and leaving it in an envelope on the car after you speak to them.

ETA: I am much less likely to get angry if I am dealing with a person, than if I am dealing with a name/number on a note. You could ask to have them called to the office and speak to them in the office as well, if you are concerned about doing so on your own. I am sure that the office personnel would be able to offer assistance in that as well.
__________________
All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players: they have their exits and their entrances; and one man in his time plays many parts, his acts being seven ages.
~William Shakespeare
(As You Like It Act II, Scene VII)

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 PM
 
921 posts, read 1,343,102 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You're certainly not public enemy number one over the issue, but I would try to stake out the car and find the owner. When you see them, say that you tapped their car when parking and wanted to be sure that there was no damage to it, since it wasn't apparent that there was any damage.

You can also go to the office and go that route to find the owner as has been suggested. I would talk to the person, however, since a note is impersonal and can blow away or be "adjusted" in terms of a practical joke, which is not unknown among the student population.

The owner may think he/she gave the bumper rash parking in the mall or in their garage, but the right thing to do is to talk to them about the situation. And, even if they have no damage, I'd pay to have the car washed/waxed, which you can do by getting a gift certificate and leaving it in an envelope on the car after you speak to them.

ETA: I am much less likely to get angry if I am dealing with a person, than if I am dealing with a name/number on a note. You could ask to have them called to the office and speak to them in the office as well, if you are concerned about doing so on your own. I am sure that the office personnel would be able to offer assistance in that as well.
Good advice. I'll get out there early tomorrow and wait at their car until they come, then explain the situation. Hopefully they won't have anyone with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top