U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,243,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You're certainly not public enemy number one over the issue, but I would try to stake out the car and find the owner. When you see them, say that you tapped their car when parking and wanted to be sure that there was no damage to it, since it wasn't apparent that there was any damage.

You can also go to the office and go that route to find the owner as has been suggested. I would talk to the person, however, since a note is impersonal and can blow away or be "adjusted" in terms of a practical joke, which is not unknown among the student population.

The owner may think he/she gave the bumper rash parking in the mall or in their garage, but the right thing to do is to talk to them about the situation. And, even if they have no damage, I'd pay to have the car washed/waxed, which you can do by getting a gift certificate and leaving it in an envelope on the car after you speak to them.

ETA: I am much less likely to get angry if I am dealing with a person, than if I am dealing with a name/number on a note. You could ask to have them called to the office and speak to them in the office as well, if you are concerned about doing so on your own. I am sure that the office personnel would be able to offer assistance in that as well.
Oftentimes if you do that you're just opening yourself up to having the person claim damage when there truly was not any. In other words - many people take advantage of a situation...

What if the owner had been having clutch or sycronizer problems with his transmission...and now sees an opportunity to have Llewelyn pay to have the transmission repaired or rebuilt at a cost of $2,000. What I'm getting at is - what appears on the surface to be "doing the right thing" can turn into an ugly nightmare of accusations, unwarranted claims, and a large cost for the person that did not do any damage, but was trying to be nice and doing the right thing.

I'm betting that the majority of the people here that are recommending Llewelyn track down the owner would not do the same themselves. Now, if there was definite and obvious damage - that's a different story. But, with what Llewelyn has told us there is no damage, or no more damage than when a car door rubs the side of another car in a parking lot, which does not warrant tracking down the owner.

Llewelyn - my advice to is do nothing and forget about it. You are leaving the door wide open for a lot of potential grief otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 09:41 PM

921 posts, read 1,337,590 times
I don't know what to do, you both bring up good points. :/

Obviously my decision isn't a legal one anymore, but more a moral one. Yet at the same time, highcotton has a point. I could take pictures of the car should the owner decide to acquaint his foot with the bumper, but I can't take pictures of transmission problems, etc.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
I don't know what to do, you both bring up good points. :/

Obviously my decision isn't a legal one anymore, but more a moral one. Yet at the same time, highcotton has a point. I could take pictures of the car should the owner decide to acquaint his foot with the bumper, but I can't take pictures of transmission problems, etc.
Some of these responses speak volumes as to the character of the posters. Must be the way they were raised. Both good and bad.

To the OP, it seems like you're looking for someone to tell you it's ok what you did and just act like nothing ever happened. So what if you hit the other car? The owner didn't see it happen. You hope. What if someone else saw it and has already told the BMW owner? Now what?

Have you ever heard of stepping up and taking personal responsibility for your actions? Seems to me like the right thing to do.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:44 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,789,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Some of these responses speak volumes as to the character of the posters. Must be the way they were raised. Both good and bad.

To the OP, it seems like you're looking for someone to tell you it's ok what you did and just act like nothing ever happened. So what if you hit the other car? The owner didn't see it happen. You hope. What if someone else saw it and has already told the BMW owner? Now what?

Have you ever heard of stepping up and taking personal responsibility for your actions? Seems to me like the right thing to do.

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
OP...take a poll today of your friends and family. Ask them, if someone hit their car in a parking lot, would they want to be notified? How would they feel if their car was hit and the guy backed down from his/her responsibilities? Better yet...how would you feel had the circumstances been reversed?
Doing the "right" thing is not always the easiest.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:59 AM

6,131 posts, read 6,243,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!
OP...take a poll today of your friends and family. Ask them, if someone hit their car in a parking lot, would they want to be notified? How would they feel if their car was hit and the guy backed down from his/her responsibilities? Better yet...how would you feel had the circumstances been reversed?
Doing the "right" thing is not always the easiest.
You are acting as if there was damage. There was no damage! If there had been damage you would be correct, however there was no damage.

Let me get this right. Are you suggesting that if you get out of your car, which is parked beside of another car, and you brush your pocketbook against the other car - that you should contact the owner? Let's add a little more reality to this so you can really understand it. The other car is dirty and has a layer of grit on it, therefore when you brushed your pocketbook against the other car it acted like sandpaper and no doubt put some fine scratches in the car's paint. Now then, before you came along and brushed your pocketbook against the other car the paintwork didn't have any scratches in that particular area...though it had numerous scratches elsewhere. Are you really going to tell us that you would contact the owner to tell them you scratched his/her car? Get real!!!!!!!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

Yeah must be a real hard decision for you to make when your on an internet forum telling someone else what to do. I'm sure the consequences must be hell for you. Highcotton brings up a good point about being used as a scapegoat for something else.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 AM

First of all....I would not brush against another car....I am extremely careful. I have nice cars...and I have full respect for others property POS, or not.
And he is not talking " a purse scratch"...he hit the car hard enough to rock it and set off the alarm. Compare apples to apples if your going to make a comparison. And if I ever damaged anothers property by mistake, you can be sure I have enough ethics to fess up to it.

Secondly...there was mention of a rub...that consitutes damage in my eyes. Cosmetic..yes. But non- the-less, damage.
You obviously, have been through this...and made a choice to not acknowledge damage you'd done. Nice.
To the OP....will your parents ever notice the damage done to your bumper? IE missing paint. What will you tell them? Some one must have hit you in the parking lot and left?

Old 03-05-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Yeah must be a real hard decision for you to make when your on an internet forum telling someone else what to do. I'm sure the consequences must be hell for you. Highcotton brings up a good point about being used as a scapegoat for something else.
Looks like you made the decision.

LOL...hopefully, You and Highcotton park next to one another one day!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
First of all....I would not brush against another car....I am extremely careful. I have nice cars...and I have full respect for others property POS, or not.
And he is not talking " a purse scratch"...he hit the car hard enough to rock it and set off the alarm. Compare apples to apples if your going to make a comparison. And if I ever damaged anothers property by mistake, you can be sure I have enough ethics to fess up to it.

Secondly...there was mention of a rub...that consitutes damage in my eyes. Cosmetic..yes. But non- the-less, damage.
You obviously, have been through this...and made a choice to not acknowledge damage you'd done. Nice.
To the OP....will your parents ever notice the damage done to your bumper? IE missing paint. What will you tell them? Some one must have hit you in the parking lot and left?
The mark that I left on the car isn't there anymore. It was my own paint, they must've cleaned it off. My car is a piece of crap, a tiny bit of paint missing won't be noticed most likely. And it was a tiny bit of paint, hardly noticeable.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,342,993 times
Quote:
Not a hard decision at all. I know what I'd do without having to ask strangers for advice.

Seems like you've made up your mind to take the easy way out. Good luck with your decision.

By the way, didn't you ask for advice in your original post?

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 03-05-2010 at 10:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive