U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 08:19 PM

921 posts, read 1,337,590 times

Advertisements

Today, I was pulling into a parking spot at school when I accidentally hit the car parked next to it. The car alarm went off for a minute or so and then the lights kept blinking (might have been hazards, not sure). Due to a combination of embarrassment and stupidity, I pulled out of the spot and parked somewhere nearby. As I walked by the car (lights were still blinking) I examined it and it looked fine, but I was too dumb to leave a note (I just got my license a couple of months ago and fear my parents' reaction to me already getting in an accident). Once school was over in the afternoon, I walked back to have a second look and it appears that I left a mark on the car, but no dent. It looks like the mark is actually the paint that came off my car and stuck to his/her car. I've been wrecked with guilt and fear of being caught since I did it (seeing as how at least one other person witnessed it) even though the damage appears to be either minor or nonexistent. It doesn't help the situation that the car is a BMW. My question is, how should I proceed now? It's likely the owner wouldn't even notice, as the mark looks like a dirt stain and the car already had scratches on it. However, I think I'll just end up feeling guilty if I don't do anything. Should I leave a note (and what should I write on this note) if I see the car again? Thanks for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,280,133 times
Find the owner and explain what happened. Then brace yourself for the worst and hope for the best.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Find the owner and explain what happened. They might be cool about it and write it off. They might also be a dick about it and demand you pay up.
That's what I tried to do this afternoon and they didn't show for a good hour or so. Do you think I should just write a note and stick it under the windshield wipers?

I'm guessing BMW means girl, which is probably better because they'd probably have more sympathy.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 PM

You could do the note and hope it doesn't fly off. I don't know if BMW necessarily means "a girl drives it". I've known some preppy pretty boys to drive beamers or at least like them.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
You could do the note and hope it doesn't fly off. I don't know if BMW necessarily means "a girl drives it". I've known some preppy pretty boys to drive beamers or at least like them.
Alright, I'll see if I can catch them first and if not I'll leave the note. Should I just tell them that I accidentally hit their car and that if they see any damage they can call *insert phone number*?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 PM

You can do that....or just explain you didn't see any damage other than the rubbing of paint. One word of advice is I'd take pics of the damage you caused. Just in case they decide they want a new paint job and body work too and introduce their foot to the body panels. Yes this is usually not likely to happen but stranger things have happened. Still it doesn't hurt to have pics....and make sure they're good quality pics that you can use.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,243,660 times
Well, you did inspect the other car for damage...and said it didn't appear there was any. If you just tapped or nudged the other car and didn't do any damage there is no need to feel compelled to do anything. It's not like you caused harm or damage to someone and then avoided the circumstances, e.g. hit and run. If my understanding of the situation is correct, then I wouldn't worry about it any more. If it ever comes up your defense is that you inspected the other car and there was no damage, thus you left no note or attempted to contact the owner...because there was no need to do so.

PS - Guys like BMWs too. I've owned close to a dozen.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
Well, you did inspect the other car for damage...and said it didn't appear there was any. If you just tapped or nudged the other car and didn't do any damage there is no need to feel compelled to do anything. It's not like you caused harm or damage to someone and then avoided the circumstances, e.g. hit and run. If my understanding of the situation is correct, then I wouldn't worry about it any more. If it ever comes up your defense is that you inspected the other car and there was no damage, thus you left no note or attempted to contact the owner...because there was no need to do so.

PS - Guys like BMWs too. I've owned close to a dozen.
Well it looked like it left a bit of a mark from the paint on my gray car (the BMW was black), but the car already had scratches on it and there wasn't a dent of any kind. My friend inspected it first because he was able to check it out first and told me that it could probably be scrubbed off for the most part and wasn't worth worrying about, I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

Yeah, I like BMWs too I just see more girls driving them.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 PM

6,131 posts, read 6,243,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llewelyn View Post
Well it looked like it left a bit of a mark from the paint on my gray car (the BMW was black), but the car already had scratches on it and there wasn't a dent of any kind. My friend inspected it first because he was able to check it out first and told me that it could probably be scrubbed off for the most part and wasn't worth worrying about, I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.

Yeah, I like BMWs too I just see more girls driving them.
It sounds like you and your friend couldn't even be sure the "bit of a mark" you saw was caused by you. Obviously you were going very slowly when attempting to park. So, you had someone else inspect it (a second opinion) and you both agreed - it wasn't worth leaving a note or trying to find the owner. Forget about it...

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE.........

Old 03-03-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
It sounds like you and your friend couldn't even be sure the "bit of a mark" you saw was caused by you. Obviously you were going very slowly when attempting to park. So, you had someone else inspect it (a second opinion) and you both agreed - it wasn't worth leaving a note or trying to find the owner. Forget about it...

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE.........
I was going slow. I think I dodged a bullet too in that the car I hit moved forward (which is why the hazards went on), so instead of absorbing the blow and causing a dent, it just gave the car a push. I try to be careful, I'm just a terrible parker! This scare will motivate me to practice, though. Thanks for the help guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive