U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:52 PM

2,715 posts, read 9,168,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
new air filter = better mpg. Also, maybe the dealership put the correct psi in the tires. Also = better mpg.
He didn't get a new air filter.

I'm with Mitch it must be the the gasoline mfg's change over from winter blend to summer blend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 04:11 PM

13,456 posts, read 42,969,947 times
On a car (or bike) with electronic fuel injection, a dirty air filter has no effect on MPG as long as the car stays in closed loop (generally say less than 3/4 throttle).

On a carburated car, the air filter needed to be clean for best MPG but the fuel filter only affected full power if it was dirty (fuel pump couldn't supply fuel to the float bowl fast enough).

Now it's the reverse - a dirty fuel filter gives sub-standard pressure at the injectors, leads to less than optimal atomization, worse MPG. But the air filter only limits max air flow and thus max power (in open loop a badly clogged air filter can make the mixture go richer than wanted as well)

Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 PM

7,001 posts, read 18,221,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Either you have some miraculous improvement or they muddled up the fuel gauge circuit somehow.

You say improvement but to what degree? Exactly how many MPG's have you gained from this divine encounter?
I have no idea how many mpg's I'm getting. I would guess close to 25mpg.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
A couple of days means nothing. Write again in a month`

How about weekly?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:47 PM

38,691 posts, read 87,097,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
He didn't get a new air filter.

I'm with Mitch it must be the the gasoline mfg's change over from winter blend to summer blend.
There's that, and engines run more efficiently when it's warmer out versus colder. Maybe the temps are moving up where he lives?

Old 03-04-2010, 06:56 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,396,550 times
Are you now using high methnol content gasoline? That can amke a 20-25% difference in test per tank over conventional additive gasoline.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
There's that, and engines run more efficiently when it's warmer out versus colder. Maybe the temps are moving up where he lives?
It is getting a bit warmer. We were in the low 30's a few weeks ago now we're in the mid 40's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Are you now using high methnol content gasoline? That can amke a 20-25% difference in test per tank over conventional additive gasoline.

I fill up with regular unleaded.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:59 AM

19,122 posts, read 21,484,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

That depends.. it can be too hot, and it can be too cold.

If it is so cold warm up takes overly long say from around +10 and colder degrees F' Then you loose MPG's because of the long warm up. But there is more O2 in the ambient air.

Somewhere above 90 degrees F there is far less O2 in the air, and you loose again. In some places where it gets really hot jets have a bad time getting off the ground, for the lesser density.

I seem to get the best MPGs in NH USA in mid Spring and early Fall.

I am a maple sugar maker and run a wood fired rig, and hope for high pressures to boil off my sap because there is more O2 then, so the fire runs a little hotter.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:32 PM

38,691 posts, read 87,097,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
It is getting a bit warmer. We were in the low 30's a few weeks ago now we're in the mid 40's.
Hmm, that's not enough temperature difference to account for a detectable change in fuel economy.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:05 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,413,166 times
It's possible that when doing the recall they also flashed your ECM which could result in an improvement in mileage.

More info:

The calibration files of a vehicle’s Engine Control Module (ECM) sometimes need updating, just like the operating system of a home PC. While the systems are designed to run properly when new, component wear and unforeseen design issues can create driveability problems. Corrections and updates are needed even in fairly new vehicles. The vehicle manufactures provide firmware updates for the ECM calibration files on a regular basis. These updates will often repair issues affecting fuel economy, performance, diagnostics, HVAC and speedometer calibration. These required changes can be flash programmed into a vehicle’s ECM to improve both the vehicle performance and your customers’ satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive