U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 AM

7,001 posts, read 18,204,871 times

Advertisements

I usually drive 60 something miles to and from work every day. I would fill up every sunday evening to be ready for the week. I drive about 62 miles each way and by thursday I need to fill up again.

I know this is unrelated but I took my 08 Camry SE 4 banger to get the recall done last week and everything is fine.

I filled up on sunday as usual and today I checked the fuel gage and it is a little below the half mark. I am very surprised of this hope stays like this permanently, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 AM

1,077 posts, read 3,066,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
I usually drive 60 something miles to and from work every day. I would fill up every sunday evening to be ready for the week. I drive about 62 miles each way and by thursday I need to fill up again.

I know this is unrelated but I took my 08 Camry SE 4 banger to get the recall done last week and everything is fine.

I filled up on sunday as usual and today I checked the fuel gage and it is a little below the half mark. I am very surprised of this hope stays like this permanently, lol.

Hmmm, thats a little strange. Are you sure they didn't do anything else to it?

Old 03-04-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
Hmmm, thats a little strange. Are you sure they didn't do anything else to it?

All they did was the recall (shave the gas pedal and put a metal backing plate). They even told me I needed an air filter, an alignement and new tires,

My driving habits are the same, use the same type of gas, no additives of any sort.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM

3,306 posts, read 9,053,813 times
They probably did what stealerships do best.... SOMETHING WRONG!

Fill your tank to the brim, drive it down low, record miles driven, refill tank to brim, divide miles driven by gallons refilled.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
They probably did what stealerships do best.... SOMETHING WRONG!

If they did then they something wrong to make things right. At least for me.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,053,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
If they did then they something wrong to make things right. At least for me.
Either you have some miraculous improvement or they muddled up the fuel gauge circuit somehow.

You say improvement but to what degree? Exactly how many MPG's have you gained from this divine encounter?

Old 03-04-2010, 12:43 PM

2,887 posts, read 4,623,736 times
A couple of days means nothing. Write again in a month`

Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 PM

13,429 posts, read 42,899,732 times
This is the time of year that the gasoline mfg's change over from winter blend to summer blend.

If you log your fuel usage (the only way I know of to know what's going on with your fuel consumption) you will see a gain in MPG in the spring and a corresponding loss in the fall - I don't know the exact details but the summer blend gas definitely gives more MPG at least on cars with electronic fuel injection.

Beyond that it's possible you ran into some straight gas rather than the now almost ubiquitous gasohol. Regs require gasohol to be labeled on the pump "Contains up to 10% Ethanol" - no sticker, no hooch.

I can smell the difference between straight gas and gasohol, I don't know if most people can or can't.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 PM

13,429 posts, read 42,899,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
A couple of days means nothing. Write again in a month`
This is true too. It's not easy to get a consistent full level on most cars, if the car is not level when you pump in the gas, variations in how sensitive the shut-off mechanism is on the gas pump, etc. all make it easy to put say a gallon more gas into your car one time compared to the last.

If you want to really know what's going on MPG wise you would need to average something like 5 to 10 tanks worth of gas, or just add up the miles and add up the gallons for several tanks worth of travel.

Really you would need to calculate the standard deviation in your MPG data (and for this to be valid without weighting it per fill-up volume you would need to buy about the same amount of gas on each fill-up), you can figure your confidence interval from that.

See what happens when you make a simple happy comment and there are engineers about?

Old 03-04-2010, 02:42 PM

3,743 posts, read 10,962,849 times
new air filter = better mpg. Also, maybe the dealership put the correct psi in the tires. Also = better mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive