U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
 
Location: The cupboard under the sink
3,876 posts, read 7,236,264 times
Reputation: 7434

Advertisements

I wonder how all the children managed to get to school in the days before the car was invented ?

Maybe you could research it, then try it. Then you won't get a ticket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
So if you have car trouble and drive someone else's car to school, you'll likely get a ticket. Brilliant. Like most other things, this is not about safety or catching violators. It's about the money.

Trouble is, we are constantly undermining the authority of the police, by giving it all the "civil liberties" crap.
Consequently, the police now have no powers.
If your car was stolen, and recovered two blocks from your house, undamaged, then I'm sure you'd have a different opinion of these cameras.
If someone was to commit a crime against you, your property, or your family, and the perp was caught within minutes due to plate recognition, you might think differently.

Don't break the law, you won't get caught, you have nothing to worry about.

Are people on here suggesting there are laws it's acceptable to break ? Speeding ? Jumping red lights ? No insurance ? No licence ?

The law is the law.
Politicians make it, and the police are paid to enforce it.
As we find different ways to break it, they are forced to find different ways to catch us.

And, yes, of course it's about the money.
But, the police would be a lot quieter, and the city's coffers a lot lighter if we didn't break the law.

In my 20 years of driving, I have never had a parking ticket. Simply because I do what I'm told !
I have never been fined for running a light.

I have, however been pinged for speeding. I chose to speed, therefore it's my fault. It's not the camera operator's fault, or whoever set the limit ? It's the donkey behind the wheel who makes it go faster.
I sucked it up, and paid up. i took the gamble, and lost.

Now, I don't gamble so much.

Automatic plate recognization has been in use in Britain for years now. I never have to worry about my car flashing up on it, because I abide by the law. (Mostly)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-05-2010, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Inland Empire, Calif
2,887 posts, read 4,606,997 times
Reputation: 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
So if you have car trouble and drive someone else's car to school, you'll likely get a ticket. Brilliant. Like most other things, this is not about safety or catching violators. It's about the money.
Once again, someone posting who has no clue what they are talking about...! Follow the rules and your life will be quite easy... If you were to get a ticket in another vehicle, take your information to the campus police station and straighten the problem out.
It's not about money, the school has 40,000 students, so parking is a MAJOR problem, there is no room for the scofflaws you're trying to protect....
But you people who see a black helicopter around every bush can go right on living in a fantasy world.
Until one spends a few hours on CDF, you never realize how many whacko's there are out there lurking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Purgatory (A.K.A. Dallas, Texas)
5,010 posts, read 12,812,613 times
Reputation: 2414
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
So if you have car trouble and drive someone else's car to school, you'll likely get a ticket. Brilliant. Like most other things, this is not about safety or catching violators. It's about the money.

What? How do you figure?

As soon as you show that you are not that person, they can't give you the ticket for something someone else did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 PM
 
48,519 posts, read 81,030,761 times
Reputation: 17978
Do not committt a violation and you get no tacket;plain and simple. Its all about violators and the moaney they cost other everyday. That is a schools problem not a law enforce problem.I bet your the first to gripe about violators taking the parking places too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Michigan--good on the rocks
2,544 posts, read 3,451,419 times
Reputation: 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
I wonder how all the children managed to get to school in the days before the car was invented ?

Maybe you could research it, then try it. Then you won't get a ticket.
Read the post. It isn't children, it's adults at a university. People travel long distances to get there. Now they should all walk. Get real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Once again, someone posting who has no clue what they are talking about...! Follow the rules and your life will be quite easy... If you were to get a ticket in another vehicle, take your information to the campus police station and straighten the problem out.
It's not about money, the school has 40,000 students, so parking is a MAJOR problem, there is no room for the scofflaws you're trying to protect....
But you people who see a black helicopter around every bush can go right on living in a fantasy world.
Until one spends a few hours on CDF, you never realize how many whacko's there are out there lurking...
I agree.


Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
What? How do you figure?

As soon as you show that you are not that person, they can't give you the ticket for something someone else did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Do not committt a violation and you get no tacket;plain and simple. Its all about violators and the moaney they cost other everyday. That is a schools problem not a law enforce problem.I bet your the first to gripe about violators taking the parking places too.
" If you don't do anything wrong, you won't have anything to worry about."

The rallying cry for autocracy and increasing government power the world over. It's about the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Michigan--good on the rocks
2,544 posts, read 3,451,419 times
Reputation: 1931
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
You have no "right" to drive. It's purely a privilege.
Dubious at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 04:08 PM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,554,889 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
Dubious at best.
Get me out of here is totally correct. Every state I have been in has stated driving is a privilege, not a right. However, I disagree with that premise and will side with Fighter1. I have had my license suspended multiple times, and every time I have continued to drive throughout the suspension regardless. If the state wants to send a taxi at their expense every time I need to go to work, the store, or whatever, I will not drive. Otherwise, they can kiss my ass because I will continue to defy them.

Last edited by las vegas drunk; 03-05-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
12,555 posts, read 18,931,506 times
Reputation: 7195
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
And you think this doesn't happen already ?
I know it happens already, because people failed to stand up for their freedoms. When will it stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Arctic Tundra, MA
3,632 posts, read 8,303,424 times
Reputation: 1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it.

Your license plates are not private property. Cops sit there in traffic and plug them in all the time.
One of my best friends is an officer in MA, he told me when they are sitting there in traffic they are ALWAYS plugging in plates, that is how they find warrants or attached plates.... Watch an officer at a light next time, he is typing away on that laptop....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2010, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Michigan--good on the rocks
2,544 posts, read 3,451,419 times
Reputation: 1931
Quote:
Get me out of here is totally correct. Every state I have been in has stated driving is a privilege, not a right. However, I disagree with that premise and will side with Fighter1. I have had my license suspended multiple times, and every time I have continued to drive throughout the suspension regardless. If the state wants to send a taxi at their expense every time I need to go to work, the store, or whatever, I will not drive. Otherwise, they can kiss my ass because I will continue to defy them.
We have had this debate before. That interpretation shows a remarkeable lack of understanding of how our rights work in this country. Just because a right is not enumerated in the Constitution does not mean that it is not a right. In fact, quite the opposite is true. If a power is not specifically granted to the government, then the government does not have that power. Read your Constitution. It is your friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top