U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:15 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,789,579 times

Advertisements

See if you can't get her to test-drive a Honda Odyssy. It's apparently in a class by itself in terms of driving and handling as minivans go. It's not half bad looking either.

If you are talking BMW X-5, I guess it's an OK looking vehicle but they are thirsty and don't stike me as providing a very dynamic driving experience.

If you are the kind of guy who would want a 911, it's a shame you are being pushed into what are essentially school buses. Maybe you can get yourself a Miata instead of a pickup? For occasional use you can buy an older pickup for $1000 ~ $2000, domestic or import - Florida being part of the South you can find old rigs in decent shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 04:19 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,564,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
See if you can't get her to test-drive a Honda Odyssy. It's apparently in a class by itself in terms of driving and handling as minivans go. It's not half bad looking either.

If you are talking BMW X-5, I guess it's an OK looking vehicle but they are thirsty and don't stike me as providing a very dynamic driving experience.

If you are the kind of guy who would want a 911, it's a shame you are being pushed into what are essentially school buses. Maybe you can get yourself a Miata instead of a pickup? For occasional use you can buy an older pickup for $1000 ~ $2000, domestic or import - Florida being part of the South you can find old rigs in decent shape.

my sister has a fully loaded odyssey. my wife hates it. as for the pick up, i'm going to be taking a year out to build my house. the pick up is essential

Old 03-06-2010, 11:27 AM

5,010 posts, read 12,822,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
The mrs wants an suv. she wants an x5, q5 or ml circa 2008. i'm trying to push her in the direction of the kia sorrento though because of the 10 yr/100000 warranty and i think they're emerging with ever improving cars. up to $35000

Then i want a cheap pick up truck for myself. 4cyl ranger, tacoma/prerunner circa 2000-2004 up to $4000-$6000, nothing beats a mechanically sound beater which i don't have to worry about

Considering getting a 12 seater for family outings and as a spare car (my car's in the shop and has been there 4 weeks so when i move back to the states i want a spare). this 12 seater is really only for occasional use so i'm not looking for anything immaculate. $6000 - $8000

i'll finally be moving back to tampa from the uk in July

She wants a Mercedes, BMW, or Audi, and you're trying to put her in a Kia?

Good luck with that.

By the way, the full 10 year warranty doesn't extend to the second owner.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:52 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,354,775 times
Quote:
The mrs wants an suv. she wants an x5, q5 or ml circa 2008. i'm trying to push her in the direction of the kia sorrento though because of the 10 yr/100000 warranty and i think they're emerging with ever improving cars. up to $35000

Then i want a cheap pick up truck for myself. 4cyl ranger, tacoma/prerunner circa 2000-2004 up to $4000-$6000, nothing beats a mechanically sound beater which i don't have to worry about

Considering getting a 12 seater for family outings and as a spare car (my car's in the shop and has been there 4 weeks so when i move back to the states i want a spare). this 12 seater is really only for occasional use so i'm not looking for anything immaculate. $6000 - $8000

i'll finally be moving back to tampa from the uk in July
I would be looking at chevy savanna, ford econoline and dodge Ram Van from the early 00's they all have a easy to work on and find parts for V-8 and all are RWD which is good for towing I would stay away from the new dodge sprinter van with their little inline-6 wimpy motors plus since mercedes makes the parts for them thet are very expensive to fix over a conventional V-8 RWD full size van

Old 03-07-2010, 04:06 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,745,491 times
Enterprise rents big 12- and 15-seat passenger vans. It would be much cheaper in the long run -- considering cash outlay, insurance, etc. -- to simply rent one for a week when you've got that many people to haul around.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car - Rental Cars at Low Rates
They don't have them at all locations and they don't always list them as available, but they do have them on the lots.
And check Carmax for used cars. I've bought from them and was extremely happy. You've got five days from purchase to return it, no questions asked, and a very generous 30 day warranty to get things fixed that you think need to be fixed.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:59 PM

747 posts, read 2,212,203 times
Quote:
the problem is that the mrs wants a 7 seater for days when she gets my nieces and nephews. i know the ml and q5 are only 5 seaters though you can get the extra two on the x5. she outright refuses to drive a minivan. (women-can't live with them or without them! errrr perhaps only half of that statement is true lol) besides i prefer the 'impact' safety of the suv. she drives way too slow to roll it.

i agree on the soft top though as you pointed out florida doesn't offer a great driving experience. i tried to persuade her that if we went for an entry level 7 seater we could look into a 911 cabrio as a sunday spare. she's not buying my argument.

i kinda like the idea of having a 12 seater because we'll probably be getting a lot of visitors from out of town. when the fandamily comes around we could also then shove the 6 kids and 6 adults in and away we go. i'll probably end up taking your advice in the beginning and see how things pan out
Acura MDX?
Mazda CX9?

Both of those tend to have really good reviews. Problem w/ something like the ML is that, w/ $35K you'll get a used one w/ not the full warranty left. Do you really want to own an ML out of warranty? They may have improved over the first gen ML, but that's not saying much (it was one of MB's least reliable cars in recent memory, and that's saying something considering MB's problems in the early 2000s).

Old 03-08-2010, 04:12 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,745,491 times
Test drive the Lincoln Crossover -- MKT.
You might be very surprised. You both might find that it fits what you want.
2010 Lincoln MKT Information & Pricing | The Official Site of the Lincoln MKT | Lincoln.com

Old 05-12-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Enterprise rents big 12- and 15-seat passenger vans. It would be much cheaper in the long run -- considering cash outlay, insurance, etc. -- to simply rent one for a week when you've got that many people to haul around.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car - Rental Cars at Low Rates
They don't have them at all locations and they don't always list them as available, but they do have them on the lots.
And check Carmax for used cars. I've bought from them and was extremely happy. You've got five days from purchase to return it, no questions asked, and a very generous 30 day warranty to get things fixed that you think need to be fixed.

decided to go for a 12 seater (econoline, express, savana or ram van). i'm go to put 5 permanent car seats in the car so when the mrs travels with my sister it isn't a massive ****ache to get the brood in and off. decided against a minivan because the mrs hates them and they're convenient until you have to put little ones in the 3rd row along with their kiddie seats (sis has 2 i have 3, all under 5years old). looked into renting one but i think i'll get quite a bit of use out of a van. probably have to get an aftermarket entertainment system for the 12 seater. any recommendations? as for the suv, it's a fight i'm not going win. going to get an '07/'08 mercedes ml or bmw x5. i'll personally be stuck with a clunker 4cyl tacoma. if i need to tow i'll use the van.

my budget is $4000-$6000 each, for a tacoma and the 12 seater. $25k-$35k for the mrs' car. realistic?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:01 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,552,424 times
I think your budget is realistic. Maybe try to steer her towards an Audi Q5. The BMW and Merc aren't exactly known for their stellar reliability. While the Audi may not be much better, it has gotten much better reviews and good quality marks. You may even be able to get a new one (sans all the bells and whistles) at the $35k price point. If she is concerned about appearance, then let her know that Audi is the new BMW, lol. Another option at the price point is the Mercedes R350. It's pretty much a Mercedes minivan, but an extremely nice minivan. It may be worth your time to check it out.

As for the Tacoma, I would personally avoid 2000-2004 Tacomas. Tacomas of that vintage as well as the Tundra's are known for major frame rust issues, to the point that they collapse. There are currently multiple class action suits against Toyota over this. If you are looking for a small pickup, steer towards the Ford Ranger or Dodge Dakota. The Dodge has the added bonus of being available with a small (but not very efficient) V8 that would help you with your towing.

As for the van, you can pick those up used a dime a dozen. Just go out and look at what's there. Just realize that most are going to have some major miles on them, but they are overall incredibly simple to maintain and repair.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I think your budget is realistic. Maybe try to steer her towards an Audi Q5. The BMW and Merc aren't exactly known for their stellar reliability. While the Audi may not be much better, it has gotten much better reviews and good quality marks. You may even be able to get a new one (sans all the bells and whistles) at the $35k price point. If she is concerned about appearance, then let her know that Audi is the new BMW, lol. Another option at the price point is the Mercedes R350. It's pretty much a Mercedes minivan, but an extremely nice minivan. It may be worth your time to check it out.

As for the Tacoma, I would personally avoid 2000-2004 Tacomas. Tacomas of that vintage as well as the Tundra's are known for major frame rust issues, to the point that they collapse. There are currently multiple class action suits against Toyota over this. If you are looking for a small pickup, steer towards the Ford Ranger or Dodge Dakota. The Dodge has the added bonus of being available with a small (but not very efficient) V8 that would help you with your towing.

As for the van, you can pick those up used a dime a dozen. Just go out and look at what's there. Just realize that most are going to have some major miles on them, but they are overall incredibly simple to maintain and repair.

thanks njgoat. after what the guys on my other post have told me it looks as though i'm going to go new on the mrs' car in which case i'm going to be ramming that kia down as hard as i can. re the tacoma, are you sure that it's from 2000 to '04? the reason i ask is because i was always under the impression that the toyotas were better quality? i wouldn't mind a '97/98/99 tacoma or a newer ranger. the preowned rangers are much cheaper. any idea what the manual transmission is like on the 4cyl ranger? (gas mileage is what i'm after). on the odd occassion when i need to haul, i'll use the van.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or