U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times

Advertisements

Just google Toyota Tacoma recalls. They have had a lot of issues, particularly the mid-90's to mid-00's. The 95-99's were recalled for the frame rust issue. Toyota actually offered to buy those back for 1.5x KBB value since the issue couldn't be fixed. The 00-04's have not been directly recalled for buy-back but many owners are complaining of the same rust issues that plagued the earlier ones. The 05+ don't seem to have the issue. There are myriad other minor issues with them as well.

When it comes to trucks, you generally can't go wrong with the domestics. The fuel economy on a 4 cylinder manual ranger should be at least comparable to the Tacoma and those trucks are considered very solid. You might also want to look into the same vintage Chevy S10 and you may even be able to snag a newer Colorado in that price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 12:17 AM

3,054 posts, read 5,029,987 times
CASH FOR CLUNKERS. Wiped out a huge market of good vehicles that people without alot of money could buy. That has caused a nightmare for avalible vehicles in a price range most people could afford once the jobs were gone. Remember all the $3000-$5000 cars for sale nd now that price range is either completely wore out junk or you are above that for a reliable transportation. The real kicker? We were conned by congress and the nutcase in the whitehouse for over 2 billion bucks and that will ( under the lame excuse for such a stupid program)only save at most 300 million bucks in fuel consumpion. We should haul away that ugly tramp speaker of the hgouse , the idiot running the senate, and the piece of garbage in the whitehouse for the cash for clunkers fraud.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:38 AM

2,858 posts, read 6,202,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knoxgarden View Post
Enterprise rents big 12- and 15-seat passenger vans. It would be much cheaper in the long run -- considering cash outlay, insurance, etc. -- to simply rent one for a week when you've got that many people to haul around.
Enterprise Rent-A-Car - Rental Cars at Low Rates
They don't have them at all locations and they don't always list them as available, but they do have them on the lots.
And check Carmax for used cars. I've bought from them and was extremely happy. You've got five days from purchase to return it, no questions asked, and a very generous 30 day warranty to get things fixed that you think need to be fixed.

Not a good idea. I get a sick work discount with Enterprise which is very hard to beat. Even with my discount, a large SUV would cost me 45 a day. That is about of the retail cost. 80-90 a day? Do that 4 times a month, pretty much equals a monthly payment.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:50 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,330,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
CASH FOR CLUNKERS. Wiped out a huge market of good vehicles that people without alot of money could buy. That has caused a nightmare for avalible vehicles in a price range most people could afford once the jobs were gone. Remember all the $3000-$5000 cars for sale nd now that price range is either completely wore out junk or you are above that for a reliable transportation. The real kicker? We were conned by congress and the nutcase in the whitehouse for over 2 billion bucks and that will ( under the lame excuse for such a stupid program)only save at most 300 million bucks in fuel consumpion. We should haul away that ugly tramp speaker of the hgouse , the idiot running the senate, and the piece of garbage in the whitehouse for the cash for clunkers fraud.
yeah those killed off alot of 96-04 mustangs and 93-02 camaro Z28's and alot of good running ful lsized SUV's and trucks that even if taraded in could of been used to sell or been sold off for part's but they trashed the engines before they scraped them. I think the most common that were turned in were late model ford explorer's, 1st gen durango's and jeep grand cherokee's.

Last edited by GTOlover; 05-13-2010 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: added to

Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 AM

48,898 posts, read 39,401,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
Would you say that dealers are battling to move used inventory because of the recession? alternatively would you say that dealers are struggling to get inventory because everyone is buying used and the feed from new car sales over the last few years were pretty low?

in a nutshell i'm just trying to decide whether i buy new or used
Manheim auto auctions has an index of used car prices, kinda like a consumer price index. It sagged enormously a year or so ago due to a glut of new cars and all the incentives to move them made used less appealing and lowered used values.

However, inventories have adjusted and used values are very high right now.

Look around for a deal new or used I guess...might find a certain make\model that they are trying to move.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:42 PM

3,283 posts, read 4,562,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Manheim auto auctions has an index of used car prices, kinda like a consumer price index. It sagged enormously a year or so ago due to a glut of new cars and all the incentives to move them made used less appealing and lowered used values.

However, inventories have adjusted and used values are very high right now.

Look around for a deal new or used I guess...might find a certain make\model that they are trying to move.

yup, i'd love to get access to those auctions. probably easier to get into fort knox though! i know that there are some serious deals in there. if you're bored and you feel like looking up what '07 X5's and ml's go for, don't let me stop you, lol. low mileage ones btw. less than 50000.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM

48,898 posts, read 39,401,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
yup, i'd love to get access to those auctions. probably easier to get into fort knox though! i know that there are some serious deals in there. if you're bored and you feel like looking up what '07 X5's and ml's go for, don't let me stop you, lol. low mileage ones btw. less than 50000.
I don't have that set up, I just look at their overall trends for help with business stuff.

I work with stuff that is peripherally impacted by the swings of value in the used car marketplace.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 AM

3,283 posts, read 4,562,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I don't have that set up, I just look at their overall trends for help with business stuff.

I work with stuff that is peripherally impacted by the swings of value in the used car marketplace.

c'mon mathguy i know you have the secret handshake. nudge, nudge,wink, wink

Old 05-14-2010, 06:55 AM

5,229 posts, read 11,487,380 times
Quote:
CASH FOR CLUNKERS. Wiped out a huge market of good vehicles that people without alot of money could buy.
It's kind of interesting to walk through the local pick and pull junkyards and see what cars are in there for "Cash for Clunkers" Easy to spot due to the pink spray paint on the engines signifying no good internal engine parts (but usually lot's of good interior or body parts).

Last time I was out there (a week ago) there were about 15 Lexus LS400s that looked perfectly fine, except for the C4C window sticker and pink spray painted engines. there were also about 4-5 Jaguar XJ6s in the C4C group. Not many Explorers, but a bunch of minivans.

Quote:
Remember all the $3000-$5000 cars for sale nd now that price range is either completely wore out junk or you are above that for a reliable transportation.
Actually, cars in that price range are still quite good. You don't get to the wore out stuff until you get under a grand. I've spent the last month looking at sub-$500 cars (yes, under five hundred dollars). There are still runners in that category, though a lot of them have a head gasket or trans issue. I am helping a friend out who has had a bad run of job luck and doens't have a car anymore to get back and forth to a new job. And since I can work on things, I figured I'd find a sub $500 car and fix enough to make it a reliable, if not brand new, daily driver. Yesterday I bought this 2001 Cavalier 2.2 liter coupe for $375:

At 150k miles, it has less miles than my dialy driver BMW 740iL. But, it wouldn't start, so the owner was selling it (they have a newer car as a daily driver now). Turns out, it has spark, compression, etc, and is not throwing any codes (I have an OBDII checker). Fuel pump is bad. $200 for a new one, or $20 for a good used one. I'll have it fixed, tuned up, and detailed for less than $100, so my friend will have a decent, economical late model daily driver that no bank owns.

It's not a desirable, sporty luxury car, but these kinds of deals are all over, every day. With a $3k-5k budget, I could have a damn near show car.

Last edited by Merc63; 05-14-2010 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: merged posts

Old 05-14-2010, 07:04 AM

1,592 posts, read 3,025,025 times
A lot of full sized cars too went away through Cash for Clunkers: like the Grand Marquises, Buick Roadmasters, etc. Most had plenty of life left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or