U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2010, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,116 posts, read 9,202,467 times
Reputation: 8988

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics
I thought the price differential (wholesale) was only $150 - 200, for hydropneumatic suspension.
If that's the case, we're getting ripped off, lol. I know the price difference for getting the system here in Norway is 10K but things here are usually twice of what it costs elsewhere, hence the 5k I mentioned.
This excerpt from an automotive guy, in another post:
Depends on the implementation - anywhere from $197.00 USD to over $500 per vehicle for a Class3 and lower design. This is manufacturers cost, not what you would pay- multiply by 8 for a rough retail cost.

$500 x 8 = $4000

Whoa...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2010, 08:14 PM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 9,009,036 times
Reputation: 2919
I am somewhat familiar with the Rolls-Royce version of this system. Its heavy maintenance and fault prone but it does provide nice results. Too cost prohibitive and overly complex for passenger cars at the moment. This is the electronics age so we probably wont be moving in that direction.

Last edited by Lux Hauler; 03-07-2010 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I am somewhat familiar with the Rolls-Royce version of this system. Its heavy maintenance and fault prone but it does provide nice results. Too cost prohibitive and overly complex for passenger cars at the moment. This is the electronics age so we probably wont be moving in that direction.
It's implemented on the latest Citröen C5, it's a pricey option, and will require more maintenance than a shock and strut type system, but the cost of it is no more than adding high quality leather to your BMW 5-series, as such I don't agree that it's too complex nor expencive to be mounted on a passenger car.

It is on a passenger car, and it is selling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 PM
 
Location: U.S.A.
3,306 posts, read 9,009,036 times
Reputation: 2919
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
It's implemented on the latest Citröen C5, it's a pricey option, and will require more maintenance than a shock and strut type system, but the cost of it is no more than adding high quality leather to your BMW 5-series, as such I don't agree that it's too complex nor expencive to be mounted on a passenger car.

It is on a passenger car, and it is selling.
It is notably more complex than conventional airbag and gas-shock/spring systems. While the results are indeed good, they are still negligible to the finest conventional system. You're reasoning in the context beyond the reach and/or needs of the typical driver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
It is notably more complex than conventional airbag and gas-shock/spring systems. While the results are indeed good, they are still negligible to the finest conventional system. You're reasoning in the context beyond the reach and/or needs of the typical driver.
Depends what you're going for I guess, I've seen some pretty amusing comparison tests, and when it comes to it, they do offer an impressively stable and comfortable ride, unlike something I've experienced in any other car. (With a conventional set-up)

It is complex, and because of that, more things that can go wrong, but I do see a market for them, and obviously, so do Citröen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 07:36 AM
 
3,743 posts, read 10,926,198 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The electro magnetic shock system is similar in design between gm, audi, and ferrari
Yeah, afaik, GM licenses the tech to Ferrari at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Central Texas
13,720 posts, read 24,613,257 times
Reputation: 9173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Depends what you're going for I guess, I've seen some pretty amusing comparison tests, and when it comes to it, they do offer an impressively stable and comfortable ride, unlike something I've experienced in any other car. (With a conventional set-up)

It is complex, and because of that, more things that can go wrong, but I do see a market for them, and obviously, so do Citröen.
It is clearly a niche market. Citroen sells zero cars in the US. And I believe they are still a relatively boutique brand in Europe.

I think modern vehicles are complex enough. I hate the idea of additional plumbing, valves, seals, and compressors in my cars.

With growing interest in reducing weight - I see little momentum for a suspension system that adds weight, not reduces it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
4,464 posts, read 9,632,464 times
Reputation: 2819
They sell well in Europe, obviously especially in France, but part from Germany, they do well everywhere else.

They're by no means a small brand, but very much mainstream and common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
It is clearly a niche market. Citroen sells zero cars in the US. And I believe they are still a relatively boutique brand in Europe.

I think modern vehicles are complex enough. I hate the idea of additional plumbing, valves, seals, and compressors in my cars.

With growing interest in reducing weight - I see little momentum for a suspension system that adds weight, not reduces it.
I agree in an era where cars are getting super heavy from all the safety while trying to get good MPG's it would be a waste to add more weight that kills the performance and reduces the fuel economy and drive up the purchase price
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,116 posts, read 9,202,467 times
Reputation: 8988
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Citroen sells zero cars in the US.
You forgot to mention that they got fed up with U.S. government and its regulations.

Citroën SM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Despite initial success, US sales ceased suddenly - Citroën expected (but did not receive) an exemption for the 1974 model year 5 mph (8.0 km/h) bumper regulation imposed by the NHTSA. The integral variable height suspension of the SM made compliance impossible. The final batch of 134 now illegal 1974 US model SMs were shipped to Japan."

"The SM combines many unusual and innovative features, some of which are only just becoming commonplace on cars of today. It borrows heavily from the innovations introduced on the DS, by including hydro-pneumatic self-leveling suspension, and self-leveling lights that swiveled with the steering (except in the USA where these were illegal at the time)."

"The SM's six headlight set up was illegal in the United States at the time and consequently, US specification cars were fitted with four fixed round exposed lamps."

----------
There are more instances where Citroen had problems with the United Nanny States of America - - - but you'll have to dig them up yourself, if you're interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top