Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 06:45 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,011,427 times

Advertisements

O.K. so I have this new car and it is a 6 speed.
Now I have driven 4 speed and 5 speed but it has been 10 years since I got rid of my sports car.
So now they add this extra "gear"
Other than the fact that it is just "weird" to go into 6th been hitting 4th allot lol
So where do you shift?
My previous experience was to shift at 2500 rpms
Now people are saying I should shift at 4k rpms
and others are saying 2500
help lol !!!

thanks
Karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 PM

157 posts, read 1,090,694 times
Well I think most newer cars that are manuals, have shift lights, telling you when is the best time to shift depending on how much you are accelerating. Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. I've driven manuals all my life, and I just go by what 'feels right' to me. It all depends on how fast you are accelerating. You want to keep your engine in the powerband though. Don't 'lag' it. (Try to accelerate from 25 in 5th gear) and such things like that. You'll probably get more used to it as you drive it more. Anything else I can help you out with, let me know. Or maybe someone else can explain it better.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:49 PM

1,394 posts, read 4,162,108 times
I guess mine is a five speed, and I never pay any attention as to where I shift, but if you have the radio off, and all quit, then you will be able to hear when it is the right time to shift.
I have a lot of fun with my little car in the winter, I can shift down when it is slick and icy, and I have a lot of fun, once I get the winter driving down.
I live in Minnesota so with the snow, it takes some getting used to, but I love to fish tail, and slip slide away. The only thing fun to do in Minnesota in the winter where you can keep warm and enjoy the outdoors at the same time. LOL, so maybe some one else can give you more ideas, because everyone has a certain way they drive manual stick shifts. Yorkie

Old 02-13-2007, 08:27 PM

5,794 posts, read 13,885,360 times
I drive a Dodge pickup with a six speed. I ignore first and drive it like it's only got 5, unless I really want to do some creepin' like pulling a boat out of a lake on a ramp. How many cylinders does your engine have? A 4 will rev higher than a 6 which will rev higher than an 8.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:53 PM

431 posts, read 391,109 times
I don't use 6th unless I'm flying down the interstate. I rarely get the RPM's above 3K in between shifts. I have and it can be fun :-) But for everyday driving I shift each gear at around 3,000 RPM's. So far, so good!

Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 AM

thanks everyone
it is a acura tsx with a 4cyl vtech engine
which some have said is "peppier" than a regular 4
I have noticed that there seems to quite the power though i am being "careful" for the first 1k miles.
I do have to say
I really missed shifting and didn't realize it
I really think this is going to be a fun car
thanks again for all of the suggestions
karla

Old 02-14-2007, 10:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
Well, dont listen to anything anyone has told you, really. You shift when the engine sounds like it needs to be shifted at redline (or youll bounce off the rev-limiter), or shift early to conserve gas. 6th gear is an overdrive gear, itll only save you gas. If you upshift too early, the engine will bog, avoid that. I really dont like seeing cars with VTEC (not Vtech) engines fall into hands of novice drivers. Theyre not intended for folks that dont know how to use them. VTEC stands for Variable valve Timing and Electronic lift Control, a fancy term used to describe its variable valve timing. Honda pioneered this style of engine and is still my favorite maker of VVT engines. The new VTECi engines are not as peaky as the first generation VTEC engines, but theyre still nice. To make a long story short: a set of cam lobes for daily cruising is utilized up until a certain rpm. Once you hit said rpm (probably around 6K or so), a more aggressive set of cam lobes come into play, allowing for higher lift and duration of the valves, thus allowing more fuel and air into the cylinders totally changing the engine's personality, so to speak. Anyways, your car can safely be revved to around 7,500 rpm. Most cars can only dream of that. There is built in rev-limiters to prevent mishaps, so thats another thing to take into consideration. Honda motors are built to rev, thats why I love em. Heck, the Honda S2000 revs to 9,000 rpm! Anyways, shift when you think the motor is ready. If youve driven manuals before, this should be second nature to you Id think? If you have any more questions let me know.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:49 PM

thanks steveo
the redline is 7500 rpms
I did allot more driving today and am getting the feel
my husband has always wanted a S2000 and we considered it when looking
the only thing is we did want a back seat and not a convertable.
I am going to send you a PM because I have a couple of questions and don't want everyone here to think "ok we are taking the car away from her " lol
thanks
karla

Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 PM

22 posts, read 143,857 times
Karla, you got it wrong. The red line in your car is not at 7500 revolutions per minuteS. Rather it's minute singular. Revolutions- plural and per minute singular. So it's 750 RPM.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:55 PM

22 posts, read 143,857 times
Sorry! Now I got it wrong! It's 7500 RPM Phew!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive