U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 10:16 PM

3,219 posts, read 5,656,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Find Your Car: Used Listing Near San Antonio, TX 78254 - AutoTrader.com

Seriously, ONE listing by a private seller within 50 miles. I even expanded to include 2 door vehicles.

Forgot to mention that I need an automatic.

It is a Mercury Cougar with 105K for $4500.

ONE LISTING on Autotrader. I know there are other websites, but this is just an example.

I have tried the news papers too!
2000 Mercury Cougar Reviews - Carsurvey.org
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 10:16 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,258,464 times
Quote:
Seriously, ONE listing by a private seller within 50 miles. I even expanded to include 2 door vehicles.
? I'm getting more than 1 result:
Find Your Car: Used Listings Near San Antonio, TX 78251 - AutoTrader.com

Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 PM

3,199 posts, read 9,246,569 times
Because you searched dealers as well...I was demonstrating how difficult it to follow the advice of staying away from little side of the road dealers. There are plenty of listings if you include dealers. I forgot to include hatchbacks- so I'll give you that one though.

I also put on a filter for cruise control and automatic transmission (can't drive a standard, no desire to learn as I am not a good multitasker when it comes to driving). Which eliminated the rest of the ones that were not from dealers.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Thanks. Not considering the Cougar though. Test drove one when they were still making them and you could feel every bump in the road. Parents work for Ford... I have been duly warned away from the Cougars.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,258,464 times
Quote:
Because you searched dealers as well...I was demonstrating how difficult it to follow the advice of staying away from little side of the road dealers. There are plenty of listings if you include dealers. I forgot to include hatchbacks- so I'll give you that one though.

I also put on a filter for cruise control and automatic transmission (can't drive a standard, no desire to learn as I am not a good multitasker when it comes to driving). Which eliminated the rest of the ones that were not from dealers.
Yeah, but there are some newer high-mileage listings from new car dealerships as well. I remember an '05 Century, some Sable/Taurus listings, an older Saturn L with low miles. It might be worth looking at some of these. Good luck with your search.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:38 PM

10,485 posts, read 22,569,447 times
Here is a ton of listings by owner in your area.

san antonio cars & trucks - by owner classifieds - craigslist

Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 AM

5,996 posts, read 13,304,075 times
The Grand-Am is a terrible looking car. It was built when Pontiac decided that all of its models should be plastered with tacky body cladding.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:42 AM

10,755 posts, read 25,554,045 times
I checked your area and it's certainly difficult to find a vehicle that would be in abundant supply in other areas.

I did come across this gem, however. Cars for Sale: 1995 Buick Roadmaster Sedan in San Antonio, TX 78232: Sedan Details - 274347633 - AutoTrader.com

The Buick Roadmaster is an old school cruiser, and this one has only 69k miles on it. It should last much longer than you need it to, and was only a one-owner car. It might be worth considering, since you'd get inexpensive insurance on it, and even though it's a V8, it's not as thirsty as some vehicles.

ETA: They also have a newer Park Avenue Ultra on the lot too, with around 75k miles, though they're asking a couple of thousand more for it. The only issue on that can be an intake manifold gasket, otherwise a 3.8 GM 6 cylinder engine is solid.

With any car, I would get a qualified mechanic to go over it, which will cost about $100-$200, depending upon shop, just for peace of mind. If you know a mechanic, you can probably get an opinion for less. Buicks like that tend to be purchased by older people who do not push the cars anywhere near their limits and generally maintain them. Also, Buick has had a good quality, better than other GM divisions, for several years.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-08-2010, 10:48 AM

10,715 posts, read 22,350,265 times
Quote:
Thanks. Not considering the Cougar though. Test drove one when they were still making them and you could feel every bump in the road. Parents work for Ford... I have been duly warned away from the Cougars.
yes the 99-02 Mercury Cougar were terrible cars but the 89-97 ones were great car because they were based off the old T-bird which was your standard RWD sedan that was super reliable and easy to fix and work on but did not get the best MPG's

Old 03-08-2010, 12:15 PM

OK- Beggars can't be choosers... But I am NOT driving that Roadmaster around...

What about spending a tad bit more for a 2005 Mazda 6 Sport with 80K miles, 100,000 mile powertrain factory warranty, one owner car, clean title check, all maintenence and oil change records available from owner, all options except sun roof and spoiler...

$7500

I said earlier I only needed the car for 6 months to a year... but this is a car I wouldn't mind driving for 3 or 4 years.... versus spending half of that for a car I can't wait to replace in 1 year....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive