U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:27 PM

7,936 posts, read 13,540,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I have been officially talked out of the Grand Am. The horse is dead. I will not buy it.

The Civic is on the list. Will go look at it today and see if they will take a slightly lower offer. Thanks to CD, I also know to inquire about the timing belts being changed.
A Civic would ge a great buy....the only problem I've found with buying used Civics (and Corollas) is that they seem to hold their value....which is great when you're the owner of it, but not so great when you're looking to buy one. A few years ago, when we were dumping our POS Hyundai Elantra, and looking to buy a late-model used Civic or Corolla, the prices were so high on the used one, we just decided get a new Corolla (the cars are pretty much equally reliable, but the Corolla was selling for quite a bit less at the time).

But if you can find a used Civic (or even an Accord) at a good price, I'd jump on it. My last 2 cars have been used Accords, and I lucked into getting a good discount on them by buying them from family...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 02:37 PM

747 posts, read 2,209,252 times
Quote:
BMWGUY-
I have heard that cars are removed from this area and shipped to Mexico when they are under the $5000 range. They are in high demand there, and people don't expect Car Fax to be clean, ect. Things over that price aren't as widely in demand in Mexico. Being 3 hours from the border, this seems plausable. However, I don't know if this is credible.

Really thinking about the Mazda. Will set up a test drive tonight.

Forgot to mention, it has brand new tires, and has passed emissions tests, something that will be important for me.

I feel good that the seller will show me maintenance records...where as with the Civic, it might have gone 50K miles without so much as an oil change.

Still looking but might purchase the Mazda after tonight's test drive. I hate to act hasty, but it seems these cars only last a day here. Can't tell you how many 1 or 2 day old adds I've called about and the cars are already sold.

It's advertised for almost $9K, but he will part with it for $7,500. I'm hoping that the higher price on the add will give me a little time to think. Oh- let's hope no one calls and offers him full asking price!
No one is going to pay 9K for that mazda6. Think about it, there's simply no way anyone would half of a brand new car price for one with 80k miles. So hold your ground and negotiate knowing you have some leverage. The fact that he went down to 7.5 with you right away should tell you something.

FYI, there are atleast 15+ "reliable" cars in your neighborhood from private sellers:

Used Cars for Sale: Listings Near 78205 - Cars.com

Old 03-08-2010, 03:54 PM

3,182 posts, read 9,221,015 times
They already sold the civic...all my eggs in a Mazda basket!

Old 03-08-2010, 07:13 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
A Civic would ge a great buy....the only problem I've found with buying used Civics (and Corollas) is that they seem to hold their value....which is great when you're the owner of it, but not so great when you're looking to buy one..
Right now, you can buy 2010 Toyota Corollas with 10k miles for under $12k and Nissan Stanzas for about the same price.

There are a lot of deals out there at this point.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 PM

3,632 posts, read 8,300,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
A Civic would ge a great buy....the only problem I've found with buying used Civics (and Corollas) is that they seem to hold their value....which is great when you're the owner of it, but not so great when you're looking to buy one. A few years ago, when we were dumping our POS Hyundai Elantra, and looking to buy a late-model used Civic or Corolla, the prices were so high on the used one, we just decided get a new Corolla (the cars are pretty much equally reliable, but the Corolla was selling for quite a bit less at the time).

But if you can find a used Civic (or even an Accord) at a good price, I'd jump on it. My last 2 cars have been used Accords, and I lucked into getting a good discount on them by buying them from family...
I agree with the Accords. In December I snagged a 1995 Accord wagon at a dealer here in FL that was a one owner car, condo car at that, has 71,677 miles. It could pass for a 2008/2009. It is that clean. I will have this car for 10+ years... If you find something like that you will have a great car for a long time. I paid $5900 for it.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Right now, you can buy 2010 Toyota Corollas with 10k miles for under $12k and Nissan Stanzas for about the same price.

There are a lot of deals out there at this point.
Trust me, those deals might be where you live, but they are not here in San Antonio. I can't even get a deal on a Toyota. San Antonio wasn't hit hard by the economy, in fact, our employment rate is up, housing is up, and car sales are apparently reflecting that. Add to it that people are getting tax refunds right now....

I have called every dealership in town, spent hours on the internet scouring sites, and have even gone in person.

Besides, I don't even want to spend $7500, much less $12K... that's actually a pretty big difference. Even if I found them and they were GREAT deals, I don't want to spend that much.

That's why I am asking about the specific cars I've posted.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:05 PM

OK- so... took the Mazda to my mechanic today... heart was set on buying it. Mechanic found a "low end" knocking in the engine and said to RUN away- he then pulled another mechanic over and asked what the Mechanic heard, the second mechanic described it as a "low-end knocking" as well. Seller took the car to a Mazda dealer. The Mazda dealer told me it was just injection pulsing and nothing to worry about, that everything was fine. Asked my Nissan mechanic at the dealer (husband's Nissan happened to have U joints needing replacement today), and he also said to RUN AWAY... of course, he hadn't heard the noise, but based on how I described it and called it a "low end knocking."

SO FRUSTRATED! I don't have a plan B. Really hard to share a car with the husband cuz we work 30 minutes from each other, and both work full time with different hours.

GRRRRRR

Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 AM

3,632 posts, read 8,300,344 times
Quote:
OK- so... took the Mazda to my mechanic today... heart was set on buying it. Mechanic found a "low end" knocking in the engine and said to RUN away- he then pulled another mechanic over and asked what the Mechanic heard, the second mechanic described it as a "low-end knocking" as well. Seller took the car to a Mazda dealer. The Mazda dealer told me it was just injection pulsing and nothing to worry about, that everything was fine. Asked my Nissan mechanic at the dealer (husband's Nissan happened to have U joints needing replacement today), and he also said to RUN AWAY... of course, he hadn't heard the noise, but based on how I described it and called it a "low end knocking."

SO FRUSTRATED! I don't have a plan B. Really hard to share a car with the husband cuz we work 30 minutes from each other, and both work full time with different hours.

GRRRRRR
I would run away too with low end knocking.... BAD thing. That is why he is trying to get rid of it so quickly. There has to be something out there for you. Should have jumped on that Civic when you could, dorky or not. I hope something breaks for you soon. Have you looked on Ebay?

Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 AM

Ebay is a good idea. Currently looking for other Civics.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:17 AM

10,750 posts, read 25,521,951 times
Oh no! So sorry to hear that the car didn't work out for you, but better to know now than to be buying a headache. I would also keep an eye out for a Mazda 3, or even its predecessor, the Protege, in addition to another Mazda 6 that might come on the market. And, of course, a Civic or Accord is likely to be a good car, especially if it was maintained.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive