U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 04:52 PM

1,856 posts, read 4,655,441 times
Default Help me decide which car??

1999 Grand Am. I like the look, drive, and feel of this one the best. 103K miles.

1998 Honda Civic. I know this one is considered to be more reliable. I feel like it is a dorky car, lol. 117K miles.

Both are $3500

The Grand Am is the one I emotionally WANT. But the Civic is the one I feel would be the most logical choice based on reputation.

Both have clean AutoCheck title reports.

The Civic has a history of passing emissions tests. Something that is not required in the county I live in, but will be required in the county I am moving to this summer. It was also in Houston in 2007 (was there a Hurricane?) and certified independantly as free from flood damage. I don't know why they would have had this inspection done-- perhaps just cuz it was in a FEMA area or something. It was also a rental/fleet vehicle in its early life.

The Grand Am hasn't had emissions tests, wasn't a rental car.

Grand AM- some interior damage on the front defrost or rear defrost (I can't tell)... cosmetic only I think. http://www.feltsmotorco.com/webtemplate.aspx?iid=2411521 (broken link)

Civic- http://sapremiermotorcars.com/details.php?v_id=13 (broken link)

Last edited by dmarie123; 03-07-2010 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:58 PM

9,139 posts, read 12,270,827 times
I would go with the civic over the grand-am due to better over all quality and aftermarket support for parts but it was a rental car to be honest I would keep looking for a better deal on something else if you don't need a car ASAP maybe save up some more $$$ in that time you are looking because these days in the used car market you really do get what you pay for unless you can do alot of the repairs yourself.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:05 PM

1,856 posts, read 4,655,441 times
I totaled my car. Have good enough credit and finances to buy a brand new car if I want. However, I will be buying a house in a few months and don't want to add that debt to my debt/credit/income ratio. So I need a car to get me through 6 months to a year, and that I can drive from San Antonio to Houston about once a month.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:06 PM

3,578 posts, read 4,405,399 times
As GTOlover wisely said, I would keep looking for a better deal. Grand Ams are not very good cars generally speaking. The Civic would be my choice until I saw the rental car history, I would not touch a rental car. I'd keep looking for another similar Civic that has not been a rental car.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:07 PM

9,139 posts, read 12,270,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I totaled my car. Have good enough credit and finances to buy a brand new car if I want. However, I will be buying a house in a few months and don't want to add that debt to my debt/credit/income ratio. So I need a car to get me through 6 months to a year, and that I can drive from San Antonio to Houston about once a month.
hmm in that case I would go with the civic due to it having a better resale value after you are done driving it plus it get better MPG and will save you on gas over the larger grand-am

Old 03-07-2010, 05:27 PM

10,481 posts, read 14,114,292 times
Completely forget about that Grand Am. Those cars are terribly troublesome, especially with that V6 (intake manifold gasket). Here are the reviews on both.

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Reviews - Carsurvey.org

1998 Honda Civic Reviews - Carsurvey.org

Old 03-07-2010, 06:23 PM

664 posts, read 1,204,504 times
The Civic will likely be more reliable. IMO, GM'S smaller cars of that era weren't particularly reliable over the long term. Their larger cars with the 3.8L engine were the more reliable ones.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:26 PM

9,173 posts, read 10,853,767 times
I wouldn't pay over $2,500 for either vehicle.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:57 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,479,789 times
Grand Am's are complete crap cars... I would buy a Ford Pinto before I bought a Grand Am. Terrible reliability, fall apart, just not a good car. Be a dork and buy the Civic.....

Old 03-07-2010, 07:06 PM

3,535 posts, read 5,479,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
1999 Grand Am. I like the look, drive, and feel of this one the best. 103K miles.

1998 Honda Civic. I know this one is considered to be more reliable. I feel like it is a dorky car, lol. 117K miles.

Both are $3500

The Grand Am is the one I emotionally WANT. But the Civic is the one I feel would be the most logical choice based on reputation.

Both have clean AutoCheck title reports.

The Civic has a history of passing emissions tests. Something that is not required in the county I live in, but will be required in the county I am moving to this summer. It was also in Houston in 2007 (was there a Hurricane?) and certified independantly as free from flood damage. I don't know why they would have had this inspection done-- perhaps just cuz it was in a FEMA area or something. It was also a rental/fleet vehicle in its early life.

The Grand Am hasn't had emissions tests, wasn't a rental car.

Grand AM- some interior damage on the front defrost or rear defrost (I can't tell)... cosmetic only I think. Rusel Felts Motor Co - Used Cars,Trucks,Chevy, Ford & Dodge - San Antonio, Texas - Inventory Details - 1999 Pontiac Grand Am $3,500.00 (http://www.feltsmotorco.com/webtemplate.aspx?iid=2411521 - broken link)

Civic- Quality Vehicles (http://sapremiermotorcars.com/details.php?v_id=13 - broken link)
That Civic is great shape. If you get the Grandless Am you are buying a problem that looks good. If you buy the Civic, you are buying a car that will run 300,000 miles... Will still be worth $3500 in 5 years if taken care of. I have a 1995 honda Accord Wagon, 71,000 miles, owned by an 88 year old couple of snowbirds, it is like new, still worth $5400 and it is 15 years old. trust everyone here, the Grand am is junk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive