U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-09-2010, 08:49 AM
 
14,777 posts, read 34,561,764 times
Reputation: 14279

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
I expected some backlash on the stupidity he showed by driving under the influence, especially multiple times. Trust me I completely agree and can only thank God that he never hurt anyone. This happened before I met him and now he has been to couseling and AA meetings and his problem is under control. I am trying to help him rebuild his life and was just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. He is currently saving money to consult an attorney. I hope that everyone who reads this thinks about his situation when they have a glass of wine dinner or a beer after work with friends. I will continue to support a good man through his rehabilitation.
Completely OT, but I actually commend you for standing by someone you love and trying to help him through this situation. We all make mistakes and we all do stupid things, however, not everyone is as lucky as he is to not lose the people who love him the most when he is dealing with a problem like this.

Whatever he lacked in maturity you are obviously making up for, I wish you guys the best...but get a damn good lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
14,095 posts, read 22,993,970 times
Reputation: 7957
First time was a mistake. He should have learned his lesson for good by the second time. Third time shows he just doesn't care about anything except getting drunk. Good job DMV. Tell boyfriend to accept his punishment like a man, grow up, and stop drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 05:46 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
3,200 posts, read 9,253,257 times
Reputation: 4759
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
DMV suspended license after judge issued restricted license
Thank you for sharing, the system is still working.

.09 is not barely over the limit, you can be arrested for .06 at the cops discretion
I don't think he should be allowed to drive. I hope the DMV can take his license!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 06:25 AM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,575,918 times
Reputation: 6611
Thumbs down bad idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I don't think he should be allowed to drive. I hope the DMV can take his license!
So how is he supposed to make his living then? I keep telling people that taking away someone's license is a sure recipe for disaster for society as a whole. When you try to take away someone's livelihood, watch out. I have had two dui's in my life, and I drove the entire time my license was suspended. Most everyone else does too. Of course, I could not get car insurance, but I never did get caught. The best thing to do is to put on a court ordered breathalyzer in his car (at his expense) for the next three years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 07:06 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,084 posts, read 33,178,464 times
Reputation: 16739
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
So how is he supposed to make his living then? I keep telling people that taking away someone's license is a sure recipe for disaster for society as a whole. When you try to take away someone's livelihood, watch out. I have had two dui's in my life, and I drove the entire time my license was suspended. Most everyone else does too. Of course, I could not get car insurance, but I never did get caught. The best thing to do is to put on a court ordered breathalyzer in his car (at his expense) for the next three years.
What should be done then is confiscation of all vehicles owned by the person losing the license and if they are caught driving ANYTHING while suspended then mandatory jail of both the driver AND owner of the vehicle they are driving. Plus the owner loses their vehicle. Make the consequences high enough and those with 1/2 a brain will figure out it isn't worth it. Those without 1/2 a brain will end up off the streets and in jail.

Oh yeah, drive drunk and get in a wreck, should equal being tried as attempted 1st degree murder. Actually kill someone driving drunk and you get the chair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 07:10 AM
 
Location: The cupboard under the sink
3,879 posts, read 7,246,345 times
Reputation: 7447
IIRC, after 3 times of being convicted of DUI in the UK, you could face jail, a lifetime driving ban, and confiscation of your vehicle.

It's illegal for a reason, and anyone who doesn't learn the first time deserves to have the book thrown at him.

Hope he gets what he deserves.
There is no excuse, and it's an act of gross stupidity to drive a motor vehicle after drinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 07:13 AM
 
Location: The cupboard under the sink
3,879 posts, read 7,246,345 times
Reputation: 7447
He should have thought of that before he tried to drive.

Enough with the bleeding hearts.

The guy's an ass. Once, well. I'm sure many of us have done it, but he should have learned.
Twice ? Stupid. He DEFINITELY should have learned.
Three times ? Danger to himself and others.
If he loses his licence, his car, his job, and his home, he has nobody to blame but himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
So how is he supposed to make his living then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 AM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,575,918 times
Reputation: 6611
9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
If he loses his license, his car, his job, and his home, he has nobody to blame but himself.
I have posted this before, but I am NOT this way anymore and I will explain what happens when you take away someones livelihood. Back in the year 2000, I got my first DUI. The DUI was an accident, but get this, I was sitting at a stoplight and a severely drunk driver slammed into me. A cop was on the other side of the road and saw the whole thing. We both got arrested and got a DUI. I was a delivery driver, so I promptly got fired from my job. I had my own apartment, and I could not find another job that would even pay close enough to pay for it. I wound up losing my license, job, and my apartment. I wound up living in my car and running out of money. Then I met these other thugs and took up illegal acts with them to make money. They were not victimless crimes either. I luckily never got caught, and I wound up breaking all ties with them as soon as I got my license back. I pulled myself quickly out of the hole from there (even getting my same job back). My second DUI was totally my fault, but I luckily had a job that I did not need a DL for it. However, my job is off the busline so I have to have a car to get to work. I drove through the 3 month suspension and got my license back. And yes, I have completely learned my lesson. I do not take the car out if I am going out drinking. It took me two times, but it was enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 AM
 
Location: The cupboard under the sink
3,879 posts, read 7,246,345 times
Reputation: 7447
And what do you want, a medal ?

Drunk driving is stupid.

You lose your livelihood, it's YOUR FAULT, why should we care ?

If you hadn't been over the limit, you wouldn't have been in that stituation. Stop moaning, man up, and accept that it's your fault, instead of trying to blame society.

Think yourself lucky I'm not a judge, or a lawmaker.
Any DUI wouldn't want to come up in front of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
9

I have posted this before, but I am NOT this way anymore and I will explain what happens when you take away someones livelihood. Back in the year 2000, I got my first DUI. The DUI was an accident, but get this, I was sitting at a stoplight and a severely drunk driver slammed into me. A cop was on the other side of the road and saw the whole thing. We both got arrested and got a DUI. I was a delivery driver, so I promptly got fired from my job. I had my own apartment, and I could not find another job that would even pay close enough to pay for it. I wound up losing my license, job, and my apartment. I wound up living in my car and running out of money. Then I met these other thugs and took up illegal acts with them to make money. They were not victimless crimes either. I luckily never got caught, and I wound up breaking all ties with them as soon as I got my license back. I pulled myself quickly out of the hole from there (even getting my same job back). My second DUI was totally my fault, but I luckily had a job that I did not need a DL for it. However, my job is off the busline so I have to have a car to get to work. I drove through the 3 month suspension and got my license back. And yes, I have completely learned my lesson. I do not take the car out if I am going out drinking. It took me two times, but it was enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2010, 11:28 AM
 
10,485 posts, read 22,575,918 times
Reputation: 6611
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
And what do you want, a medal ?

Drunk driving is stupid.

You lose your livelihood, it's YOUR FAULT, why should we care ?

If you hadn't been over the limit, you wouldn't have been in that stituation. Stop moaning, man up, and accept that it's your fault, instead of trying to blame society.

Think yourself lucky I'm not a judge, or a lawmaker.
Any DUI wouldn't want to come up in front of me.
I am not going to argue with you anymore because you refuse to see my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top