U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,257 posts, read 3,170,530 times

Advertisements

Comments and opinions please:

For my last 2 sets of tires (265/70/R17) I used Goodyear HP (standard load rating) and have been quite satisfied. Got 50,000 miles. 360 treadwear plus A&B. Avg price $170 each tire.

Recently came across the General HTS Grabber, standard load rating, same size, etc and has a treadwear rating of 640, plus A&B! Price $105 each.

Question(s): Is the Goodyear worth the higher Price??. Does the 640 vs the 360 mean I could conceivably get upwards of 70 to 75000 miles???? Seems unlikely to me, but, that's why I'm asking. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 07:25 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,507,040 times
Ratings on tires are subjective, but can be used as a good baseline comparison. Each manufacturer calculates their own treadwear rating using their own methods. In general, a higher number means more life, but it's not as simple as saying number x is twice number y, therefore I will get double the mileage. You really need to look up information on each tire you are considering and seeing what peoples experience has been.

However, in this situation I can give you some real clear advice. The General Grabber HTS is one of the BEST light truck and SUV tires you can buy. I recently put a set on my RWD Envoy and they handle great, have very low road noise and excellent traction in all weather. I was driving around in NJ's 2 feet of snow with no issues whatsoever. So, in this case the cheap tire is definitely the way to go. If you Google "General Grabber HTS review" you'll hear much of the same.

Just as an FYI, General isn't a random off-brand tire company. They are based in Germany and are very big in Europe. They have limited distribution here in the U.S., but it's not like you are buying the Golden Panda combo #3 at the tire store.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:59 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Ratings on tires are subjective, but can be used as a good baseline comparison. Each manufacturer calculates their own treadwear rating using their own methods. In general, a higher number means more life, but it's not as simple as saying number x is twice number y, therefore I will get double the mileage. You really need to look up information on each tire you are considering and seeing what peoples experience has been.

However, in this situation I can give you some real clear advice. The General Grabber HTS is one of the BEST light truck and SUV tires you can buy. I recently put a set on my RWD Envoy and they handle great, have very low road noise and excellent traction in all weather. I was driving around in NJ's 2 feet of snow with no issues whatsoever. So, in this case the cheap tire is definitely the way to go. If you Google "General Grabber HTS review" you'll hear much of the same.

Just as an FYI, General isn't a random off-brand tire company. They are based in Germany and are very big in Europe. They have limited distribution here in the U.S., but it's not like you are buying the Golden Panda combo #3 at the tire store.
Thank you.....................One more question: After one phone call this morning, I was informed that the General HTS (in this size) has one more ply in the tread area than the Goodyear.....................I've tried to verify this by using the internet, but I can't seem to find this spec data anywhere. Can you help me determine if this is true. I would guess that extra ply would minimumize potential problems.....given the greater number of miles tires in my part of MT are driven over gravel roads with sharp rocks being quite common.........................Thanks again.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 AM

The General Grabber HTS uses a 2-ply polyester sidewall and a 6-ply tread facing (2 of polyester, 2 of steel and 2 of nylon).

You need to be more specific in the exact Goodyear HP that you are planning to buy in order for me to get the ply information. Most Goodyear truck tires are a p-metric design and will use a 1 or 2 ply nylon sidewall combined with a 4 ply steel/ployester tread facing. However, each different model and line is different. HP is too generic to determine exactly which tire you were considering.

If gravel roads and other obstacles are real common in your area you may want to consider upping to a higher load rated 10-ply tire and avoiding the standard passenger tires altogether. A 10-ply will cost upwards of 70% more compared to the p-metric tires you are currently buying, but will give the added strength you may need.

If you are going with a 10-ply option I would recommend Pirelli Scorpions. They will probably be about $200+ per tire in your size. You will give up on-road feel and some cushioning, but you will gain much greater resistance to puncture from gravel. If you do go this route, you need to specify 10-ply as the Scorpion is built in multiple configurations and if you just asked for the Scoprion they would most likely sell you a standard p-metric tire.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:31 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,618,407 times
I have a hard time paying attention to the number of plies. For one thing - we don't know if one brand's ply is the same thickness as the other. What if the material of the brand with 1 ply is better than the brand with 2 plies?

Every tire manufacturer has their own approach to designing tires. I have no way to judge based on their "specs" which one is better.

BTW - I have no opinion on the two tires in question.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The General Grabber HTS uses a 2-ply polyester sidewall and a 6-ply tread facing (2 of polyester, 2 of steel and 2 of nylon).

You need to be more specific in the exact Goodyear HP that you are planning to buy in order for me to get the ply information. Most Goodyear truck tires are a p-metric design and will use a 1 or 2 ply nylon sidewall combined with a 4 ply steel/ployester tread facing. However, each different model and line is different. HP is too generic to determine exactly which tire you were considering.

If gravel roads and other obstacles are real common in your area you may want to consider upping to a higher load rated 10-ply tire and avoiding the standard passenger tires altogether. A 10-ply will cost upwards of 70% more compared to the p-metric tires you are currently buying, but will give the added strength you may need.

If you are going with a 10-ply option I would recommend Pirelli Scorpions. They will probably be about $200+ per tire in your size. You will give up on-road feel and some cushioning, but you will gain much greater resistance to puncture from gravel. If you do go this route, you need to specify 10-ply as the Scorpion is built in multiple configurations and if you just asked for the Scoprion they would most likely sell you a standard p-metric tire.
Again, thank you for the info. I will definitely go with the General HTS......those six plys in the tread make a lot of sense to me vs the 4 plies in the Goodyears P metric that were OEM tires on the vehicle at delivery.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:45 PM

13,388 posts, read 42,724,996 times
What hoffdano and the Goat said. The Grabber HTS is an excellent tire, all the reviews I have read both in rags like Consumer Reports and in car-guy rags, not much bad has been said about it.

I'd avoid trying to get the highest wear rating for the cheapest price - the way this would be accomplished is probably with a very hard rubber compound, which means not much grip.

The Average Joe pays too much attention to cost and mileage on a tire - a tire that will grip well and lasts 40K or so is IMHO a better deal all round. Not to mention that you really ought to "use up" a tire within 6 to 10 years of it's manufacture, unless you are driving really big mileage a "super long life" tire will last out beyond this time frame.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The Average Joe pays too much attention to cost and mileage on a tire - a tire that will grip well and lasts 40K or so is IMHO a better deal all round. Not to mention that you really ought to "use up" a tire within 6 to 10 years of it's manufacture, unless you are driving really big mileage a "super long life" tire will last out beyond this time frame.
QFT

Most people don't realize that a tires life is indepednent of its tread life. There are a lot of people driving around out there on dry-rotting tires with cracked sidewalls that still have plenty of tread life left in them. That situation is a lot more dangerous then simply having worn tires. Generally most tires carry a manufacturer recommended life of no more than 5-6 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive