U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 11:09 PM

5,988 posts, read 9,973,985 times

Advertisements

As I see Toyota's fixes for their accelerator/electrical/software ??? problem I am reminded of some fixes that factories have suggested and reasons given for other problems through the years. The first I remember was in a new 62 Impala SS that a friend bought. It would get a puddle of water on the back floor every time it rained. Dealers fix---drill a hole in the floor. I was working at a VW dealer in 86 and the VW factory racing team reported "electrical problems" in the Siroccos. Turned out the electrical was that the positive cable was sheared off the starter when the rods came through the side of the block. I could go on for a long time but my last, in 88 I was service Mgr at a Chevy dealer. A customer with an S10 4X4 with a manual trans complained of a transmission noise. Chevy told us to remove drive shaft, drill a 1/4 in hole in both ends and fill it with spray foam insulation. Silly as it sounds it worked. Seems the hollow drive shaft was amplifying normal transfer case sounds.

How about the rest of the mechanics out there. Surely other manufacturers at other times had some unique repair suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive