U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 04:15 AM

14,095 posts, read 22,971,089 times

Advertisements

The cars? Chevy Malibu, Ford Fusion, Honda Accord, Mazda 6, Nissan Altima, Subaru Legacy, Suzuki Kizashi, and Toyota Camry. Sorry Chrysler, Dodge, Hyundai, and Kia. What was amazing is the 0-60 and quarter mile times were pretty good for four cylinder engine midsize sedans. The horse power numbers are on par with mid to late 90s V6 sedans and so are their performance numbers. The 0-60 time ranges between the slow 8.68 to 7.72 seconds, a difference of only 0.96 second. The quarter mile time is between the slow 16.53 to 15.75 seconds, a difference of only 0.78 second. The surprising number was the skidpad winner which was the Suzuki. Performance and fuel economy on these sedans were all very close. Though the Suzuki was a surprise in the quality of the interior (said it's seat's material felt much better than the Camry), they said it felt the cheapest. They said good things about the cars but had praise for one and it wasn't the fastest. The one car they said was the overall best was the Mazda 6. But they do agree that the overall differences between these sedans was very close. Driving dynamics, how it feels on the road, and how the seats feel made the difference. My 2003 Malibu 3.1 has roughly the same horsepower and performance numbers. But what's amazing to me is my fuel economy is not far off these four cylinders. Though the engine sizes are between 2.4 to 2.5 liters, their average highway mpg is about 31. Original EPA rating for my car was 29, my actual highway averages about 32. The overall weight difference between my car and these cars is mine is between 100 to 200 lbs lighter than these four cylinder cars. That's a difference of a light woman or an average man passenger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 04:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 17,786,405 times
I really like the Suzuki Kizashi.. Am seriously thinking about getting one in awd

Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,498,385 times
sailor -

You have to remember that when you are looking at fuel economy numbers on newer cars (since 2008) they are quoted using the new EPA model which is a little more realistic in its estimates than the old test. However, as you have observed actual mileage varies greatly depending on the driver. If you're getting those good numbers out of your 3.1 Malibu, you could probably expect better out of a newer car.

The interesting thing to me that you keyed in on was the weight factor. I'm all for safety and a more rigid vehicle, but at some point manufacturers need to find a way to start shaving some weight off of newer cars. The easiest way to improve everything about a vehicles performance; acceleration, handling, braking and fuel economy is to cut weight. Currently Audi is one of the only manufacturers I have seen that is releasing new models that are lighter (even if only a little bit) than the vehicles they are replacing.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:02 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,928,564 times
Performance numbers are pretty meaningless unless you are accounting for vehicle weight, transmission gearing, tires, etc. If you're comparing engines, you can do a flywheel hp test but thats about it, since the rest of the car has a great effect on the engine and overall performance.

Overall, its an interesting article for pointing out how 4-cyl engines are making more power and are more efficient, but it is a well known trend that engines improve over time. Do you have a link to the article?

Old 03-09-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
sailor -

You have to remember that when you are looking at fuel economy numbers on newer cars (since 2008) they are quoted using the new EPA model which is a little more realistic in its estimates than the old test.

SAE hp ratings also changed in 2004, trending lower than previous ratings. A typical 200 hp car could read at 180 hp in a new system, for example, without any other changes between 2003 and 2004.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:27 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,618,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Performance numbers are pretty meaningless unless you are accounting for vehicle weight, transmission gearing, tires, etc. If you're comparing engines, you can do a flywheel hp test but thats about it, since the rest of the car has a great effect on the engine and overall performance.
I disagree. Performance is performance for vehicles in the same class. If brand x vehicle did 0-60 in 8 secs and weighed 3500lbs it has the same performance as a brand y vehicle with the same 0-60 but weighing 4000 lbs.

The driver feels the same speed, can do the same things.

If you want to compare HOW the performance was achieved, then weight, gearing, cylinders, bore and stroke, etc. are interesting to compare.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I disagree. Performance is performance for vehicles in the same class. If brand x vehicle did 0-60 in 8 secs and weighed 3500lbs it has the same performance as a brand y vehicle with the same 0-60 but weighing 4000 lbs.

The driver feels the same speed, can do the same things.

If you want to compare HOW the performance was achieved, then weight, gearing, cylinders, bore and stroke, etc. are interesting to compare.

Sure, if you're talking about vehicles. I was talking about the engines though.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:10 AM

14,095 posts, read 22,971,089 times
Don't have a link. Have a subscription to Popular Mechanics and it's in the latest issue I received. For the average daily driver, 7.5 to 8 second 0-60 acceleration is perfectly fine. At one time, such acceleration numbers were unheard of for a midsize sedan with a four cylinder engine unless it was a turbo four. I hear there are plans for some makers to replace their 6 with a turbo four to help them meet the new CAFE standards. An added benefit is the reduction in weight on the front end to help with the front and rear ratio. What the above test tells me is you're not going to sacrifice much by going with the modern four cylinder midsize sedans. Their V6 versions are practically performance cars in acceleration numbers. The exceptions are the Subaru Legacy (turbo four, the six is more luxuary) and the Suzuki (no six available).

Old 03-10-2010, 08:37 AM

13,720 posts, read 24,618,407 times
The performance of modern cars is astounding compared to vehicles of the 70s and 80s. Today's V6 Accord coupe is quicker than a 1988 Ferrari 328. There are so many vehicles now with sub 6 second 0-60 times.

And today's cars start instantly, idle smoothly, burn much cleaner, stop quicker, run 100K on one set of plugs, and of course protect their passengers much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or