Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 03:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

'01 Nissan Sentra. After shutting off engine, it will not restart. This occurs maybe 10% of the time. Solution: Hold down gas pedal while cranking (still won't fire), then wait a moment and crank with foot off gas, and it starts. Electronic diagnosis reveals no codes.

Question: Is this normal? It occurs even on cool days (6o degrees). Running temp is normal. I know that this happens sometimes on very hot days, when any car can be hard to restart, but in this case, there is no firing at all. It's like cranking a dead engine. But the above solution works every time (so far) and the owner's manual addresses the situation and suggests the pedal-down remedy, but does not say that it is necessary to try again without pedal after that.

My guess was that each car is different, and this car, by the laws of chance, happens to run at a temperature that is critical to the computer. But this occurred both before and after replacement of the thermostat. This is a newly acquired car, so I know nothing of its history. Otherwise it runs perfectly and efficiently (35 mpg). I checked plugs, and gaps are right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 04:17 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Moderator, please move this to "Aumotive"---inadvertently in wrong forum when posted.
Clogged fuel filter if it has one. Try tapping it first.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Clogged fuel filter if it has one. Try tapping it first.
No serviceable filter on Sentra. Pressure test was normal. Fuel pump/filter problem would be most conspicuous at speed or under load.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:52 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,211,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No serviceable filter on Sentra. Pressure test was normal. Fuel pump/filter problem would be most conspicuous at speed or under load.
I had a 74 Datsun (many years ago) and that is what caused it to not start.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I had a 74 Datsun (many years ago) and that is what caused it to not start.
The fuel filter was a plastic cylinder that clamped into the rubber fuel line out in plain sight. Piece of cake. I had water in my tank that got trapped in that filter, and it started, but would only run until the cold gas froze the water inside the filter, then it would stop. My Datsun was a '70. I just thawed the ice, poured the water out backwards, and put the filter back in.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:17 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Maybe your main relay has gone bad. Hot restarts are difficult when this happens. Your symptoms are like what happens with Hondas that are about 10 years old. What happens is the solder on the main relay cracks. Either re-solder the connections or buy a new one.

http://autorepair.about.com/od/engin..._hot_start.htm

Old 03-11-2010, 12:20 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Just because the filter is not serviceable does not mean it's not at fault. Maybe you have one of those EPA-inspired "ULEV" disasters where you end up replacing the fuel tank, fuel pump and filter in one "block". I know the "ULEV" BMW cars have this (and that's why you won't be seeing one of them in my driveway ever, unless it's a visitor!) But if the fuel pressure checks out you are probably still dodging that bullet for the time being.

What you are describing seems to me the car is flooding, most EFI cars are easy to flood, there are certain conditions like a warm but not hot start where the ECU dumps a little more fuel in than would be optimal.

See if you can figure out exactly what the conditions are when the car is flooding. It may appear to be random but probably there is a pattern if you can discern it.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 PM

143 posts, read 741,769 times
nissan has a inbuildt chip in the key,you se it as a red little brick under the keyholder.this prevent you to start right up again(dont know why) you must eighter take out the key,or wait a minute to restart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive