U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 10:57 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,625,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Will you really save enough on taxes to justify the trip though? Or do you want to go to Michigan for some other reason?

I have always heard that out of tag, registration, and driver's license, 2 need to match (be to the same person).
The car will remain in Michigan and be titled to a Michigan driver.

Many states apply what is called a "third jurisdiction" law. If your car is plated in State A, and your drivers license is from State B, you can only legally drive in A and B. State C can fine you for the mismatch. I don't know if that has ever been tested in the courts. It's not worth going back to the third state to fight the nominal fine. I was once fined in Missouri for driving a Missouri-plated car with a Kansas DL, which confirms in my mind that the police can do whatever they want, and the citizen is powerless to resist. When the police and the courts set their priority on doing the state's tax collecting, they are very conversant with the "not worth going back to fight it" principle.

Evidence that a car is in transit will usually buy some wiggle room if all the papers are in order.

In Nevada, by the way, you can put Nevada plates on a car without transferring the title to Nevada, and keep it there forever. It might be the only state you can do that. The non-title plates are exactly like the regular ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 11:47 PM

8,309 posts, read 33,363,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I am buying a car from a private seller.

He still owes on the car. I am financing it. My bank is going to pay his bank loan off. I will not get the title.

First the County Tax Office (where we register cars) told me I couldn't transfer the car to my name. I asked them, "So you are telling me I will drive a car that is in his name for 5 years!?!?!?" and they said yes.

I kept pressing, and finally they told me that my bank will send me a reciept for a title application and registration, and I'll take that to the tax office to register the car and get plates.

However, they told me to just drive the car registered to the seller, with the seller's plates until then.

Everything I read online says to KEEP your plates when you are selling a car.

WTF? Does this sound right to you?

What if the owner wants to keep his plates? I just don't drive the car until I get that stuff from my bank?

I asked them about a "Bill of Sale" and they said that wasn't good enough.

Anyone know? I don't believe the lady at the Tax Office. I can't find official info online, but everyone that has written about it says a bill of sale is plenty...
That definitely isn't right.

One thing I have learned about county level administrative staff in Texas: if you feel like one of them isn't working very well for you - hang up and call back for another one or come back the next day and talk to another one. You will eventually get someone who knows what he or she is talking about rather than someone who is pretending to know what he or she is talking about.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:09 PM

13,420 posts, read 42,778,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The car will remain in Michigan and be titled to a Michigan driver.

Many states apply what is called a "third jurisdiction" law. If your car is plated in State A, and your drivers license is from State B, you can only legally drive in A and B. State C can fine you for the mismatch. I don't know if that has ever been tested in the courts. It's not worth going back to the third state to fight the nominal fine. I was once fined in Missouri for driving a Missouri-plated car with a Kansas DL, which confirms in my mind that the police can do whatever they want, and the citizen is powerless to resist. When the police and the courts set their priority on doing the state's tax collecting, they are very conversant with the "not worth going back to fight it" principle.

Evidence that a car is in transit will usually buy some wiggle room if all the papers are in order.

In Nevada, by the way, you can put Nevada plates on a car without transferring the title to Nevada, and keep it there forever. It might be the only state you can do that. The non-title plates are exactly like the regular ones.
Several Western states are like that, when I lived in Idaho I didn't buy or sell any cars, so just kept them on Georgia titles, Idaho registration. Colorado I think the same, but in WA you have to re-title your cars to get them registered. Thank you Seattle area Stalinists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or