Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:23 PM

53 posts, read 284,778 times

Advertisements

We have a lot of ferrel cats running around our apartment complex. They seem to have taken a liking to marking / unrinating against my car. The smell is seeping through the doors to the inside and it smells like hell. With summer coming I don't want to imagine how bad it will get. Does anyone have an idea how to get the smell off and out of the car? Anyone ever had this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM

1,313 posts, read 3,880,172 times
Well if they keep on doing it, then your problem will keep coming back. Does someone own them or are they just stray cats? If someone owns them tell the owner your problem and maybe they will do something about it. If not, handle the cats yourself if someone owns them or not.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,861,818 times
Mix up a baking soda wash and wash the car 3 times.... Maybe then, they will go do someone elses car instead of yours. The idea to get all the stink gone, so maybe they won't mark 'their' territory.

Another way if that fails is get raccoon scent, which cats in general don't like.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:02 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times
If it has seeped into the interior....You need to use an enzyme cleaner..only thing that will get the smell of cat urine out. They sell a few brands at places like Petco and Petsmart...My daughter has a Cattery and one she has used with great success in Stink Free.
Stink Free Inc.
I can also tell you male cat urine is very strong. It will do a job on your paint if not removed.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:15 PM

32,752 posts, read 35,950,249 times
They've probably been up in your engine compartment too. That's smell's going to be harder to get rid of. I'd run it through the car wash then spray on (pump spray bottle) an outdoor water resistant cat repellent on everything you think that they can reach.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:17 PM

355 posts, read 1,474,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_B View Post
We have a lot of ferrel cats running around our apartment complex. They seem to have taken a liking to marking / unrinating against my car. The smell is seeping through the doors to the inside and it smells like hell. With summer coming I don't want to imagine how bad it will get. Does anyone have an idea how to get the smell off and out of the car? Anyone ever had this problem?
That's easy. get some female fox urine and spread it all over the car inside and out. Or, get a skunk and have it spray its scent all over the car inside and out. I guarantee the cat **** won't ever bother you again (but the fox or skunk stank might). Maybe raccoon or wolf urine/scent.

LOL all kidding aside, I think you may be **** out of luck and will probably have to declare the car a total loss...just like the Seinfeld episode where the Indian/Pakistani valet drives his car and they can't get the smell out, and they leave the car with the windows down and the key in the ignition in Harlem or the Bronx, and still can't get the car stolen due to the smell...

Last edited by Delron; 03-12-2010 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-12-2010, 12:19 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,223,598 times
Had an incident years ago when we took our cat to the vet. On the way he sprayed inside the car and it reeked!

We had to pull the interior out of it bc it was so bad. Our vet suggested 'Biz' detergeant. We sprinkled that all over the inside of the car and on the interior parts. In about 2 days the smell was completely gone.

From then on when the cat needed to go to the vet he got to have a windy ride in the pet carrier in the bed of the truck. No more cat pee smell inside the car that way. LOL

Old 03-12-2010, 12:52 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,688,193 times
first thing to do is eliminate the cats...

then tackle the smell issue

Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,330,482 times
LOL my 2000 Corolla still smells after a moved a cat from my apartment to my family's home 75 miles away.

Some products like Odoban will help reduce the smell but it would have to be thoroughly wet vacuumed to totally remove the smell.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:05 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,148,273 times
Put saucers of poisoned milk around the base of the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive