U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 07:55 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,818,873 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm moving soon from Duluth, MN to Phoenix, AZ. I'll be moving around the end of April, so I need some advice here.

I have an Altima with close to 60k miles. I'm about 1,000 miles away from having an oil change, so I'll have that done before moving. I also put on brand new all season BF Goodrich tires around September/October of 2009, so I'm up to date on that.

- Tune up. Do I need one? I've had this car since the end of 2007, so it definitely wouldn't have been done before I got it.

- Alignment. The roads here in Minnesota (Duluth especially) are horrendous. If I need to get this done, should I wait until I get to Arizona, or before I leave and make the trip?

-Serpentine belt. There's a couple tiny and minor cracks in it. It's not making any noise or anything though. Should I get it replaced beforehand, just to be on the safe side?

-Speedometer. I notice any time I go past a thing that clocks your speed (be it in Minneapolis or here in Duluth), I always seem to be going 5 mph or so under what my speedometer says. Is there a way to calibrate/fix that?

What abouts will it cost me to get all this done? $450 or so I'm thinking? I can't imagine all that costing much, especially if I got it all done at the same place.

Also, any other things I should get done to be on the safe side, or would this all be overkill?

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:10 PM

10,485 posts, read 22,594,143 times
The main thing is you need to do is change your timing belt if it has not been done. Also, make sure to check your radiator hoses. I am from Phoenix myself, and it wreaks havoc on them over there.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The main thing is you need to do is change your timing belt if it has not been done. Also, make sure to check your radiator hoses. I am from Phoenix myself, and it wreaks havoc on them over there.
About how much does that cost? Just a rough estimate?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 PM

13,427 posts, read 42,859,474 times
A rough estimate for a timing belt change in most cars of this sort is $500. If the timing belt is anywhere near 60K miles old, particularly since you are going to a hot climate, I would definitely get this done. Generally you would get a water pump replacement with the timing belt if it's inside the belt, I am not certain on this car. I'd replace both radiator hoses as well, new coolant too.

Your car is worth diddly as a trade-in or for sale out West, so figure on driving it till the wheels fall off. It's salted up good from those wonderful salty upper midwest roads, almost everyone out west knows to avoid such cars.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
About how much does that cost? Just a rough estimate?
Honestly, I have no idea as the price can vary dramatically on different vehicles. I just looked it up and I was wrong, your car does not even have a timing belt (chain) That is a good thing. The serpentine belt and both radiator hoses will not be too expensive. I would assume (totally guessing here) at less than $300.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:22 PM

Are you sure it doesn't have a timing belt? It's a 2005 Nissan Altima.

If it does have a timing belt it might just be worth it for me to get a new car, if this is all the case. Haha, I'll look into that. For what I'd pay on all this, I could pay for a down payment on another car. Thanks, all!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 PM

13,427 posts, read 42,859,474 times
Google the car yourself, you should find out. I am not that familiar with an Altima, it's not a car I have ever owned.

If the car is otherwise in good condition, you might as well tune it up (spark plugs) and do the belts and hoses, all of this is within the ability of a decent DIY mechanic.

If you have another way to get to Las Vegas, you could consider selling your car where you are, since it's impending rust bucket status is expected there, while out here it's a rare cancer.

Keep in mind that the down on a new car is just the first of many payments, I would guess you own the 05 outright.

You might as well run the wheels off it.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:37 PM

acrylic,

I double checked and it is apparent that no Altima has ever had a timing belt. My bad. However, I do have a friend here on city data who has the same exact car (2003) Altima that could probably help you better than me regarding the car.

Contact http://www.city-data.com/forum/membe...89-133504.html

Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Google the car yourself, you should find out. I am not that familiar with an Altima, it's not a car I have ever owned.

If the car is otherwise in good condition, you might as well tune it up (spark plugs) and do the belts and hoses, all of this is within the ability of a decent DIY mechanic.

If you have another way to get to Las Vegas, you could consider selling your car where you are, since it's impending rust bucket status is expected there, while out here it's a rare cancer.

Keep in mind that the down on a new car is just the first of many payments, I would guess you own the 05 outright.

You might as well run the wheels off it.
I actually don't own the Altima outright. I am still making payments on it. So it wouldn't matter if I traded it in since I could get an even better deal on a car now that's newer...and I'd pay even less. So, it's of no loss to me.

@LVD: Thanks for your help though. I'm sure you know more about cars than me anyways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or