U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 02:02 PM

19,122 posts, read 21,386,443 times

Advertisements

Check the rear tires for plys, and then see if the plys match the front tires. I assume these are all radials..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 02:18 PM

142 posts, read 638,198 times
if your car is lowered , thats probably the issue here. tires are different as night and day..beware to not use to groowy tires. and not to wide.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:57 PM

415 posts, read 1,499,957 times
Solution: a set of 4 michelin pilot exaltos.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,304,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
if your car is lowered , thats probably the issue here. tires are different as night and day..beware to not use to groowy tires. and not to wide.
This isn't the issue as the tire size is same as oem spec. The vibration is coming from the front where the only change causing this problem is swapping tires left to right.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:03 PM

142 posts, read 638,198 times
oh sorry. didnt notice that you have a vibration.check the steering ends.they may be a little worn out. and its have to do about balancing.and one more thing.i could have expl. why i dont rotate tires,and only switch front vs rear.but my english is not that good.and this not mentioned prosess is causing vibration in the front,because of slightly wear on steering ends and wheel bearings.

Last edited by harald; 03-14-2010 at 04:11 PM..

Old 03-15-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Solution: a set of 4 michelin pilot exaltos.
Why? These are pretty much identical to my BFGoodrich g-Force tires in the performance characteristics I care about and aren't significantly better than the GE UHP's yet cost $60 more per tire. Seems like a good waste of money in my eyes.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:11 AM

415 posts, read 1,499,957 times
I don't want to argue with you. Just tryin' to help. Enjoy your BF Goodrich tires.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:20 AM

3,054 posts, read 5,034,492 times
in that case, tire balance is suspect!

Old 03-15-2010, 09:00 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,537,960 times
Looking at what the OP has said here are my thoughts:

1. Using the old tires on the front with the bad wear, was probably not a good idea. Even though you are compensating by switching sides, no matter which way you tun the wheel, one side of bad wear will always be contacting the road. This can cause float and slipping in the front end while turning.

2. As one other poster was on to tire size can have an impact. I'm not talking about the numbers on the sides matching, I am talking about the wear and remaining 32nds. Traction control systems rely on wheel speed sensors. You're smaller older tires will always be spinning faster than the rears, this can cause havoc with the traction control and make it do wierd things, especially under spirited driving. To that end, wear and remaining 32nds aren't the only concern as different brand/models of tire can be significantly different in size, even if the numbers on the sidewall are the same. For instance, BFG's tend to run fat and tall, while Nitto's tend to run skinny and short.

3. You didn't mention if it was a RWD G35, or AWD G35. If it is AWD, number 2 is real critical. You can cause permanent damage to the AWD system by running out of spec tires. Most systems are only designed to compensate for 1 or 2 32nds of difference between tires, any more and you will be burning up the diffs in no time.

4. The General UHP is a real good tire and not some offbrand hunk of crap. With that said, it is also made out of a harder compound rubber than most high performance tires. This can make them "greasy" when new until they wear in a little. Low temps and bad weather don't help the situation any.

5. You mentioned your car was lowered. Depending on how much, you may need to invest in a camber kit so you can get the alignment setup the way it is supposed to be. While it may not be causing a major issue, it can cause premature wear as you found out and can certainly effect your handling.

If this were my car, I would head back to the tire shop and replace the worn BFG's with new General UHP's to match the rear. I think this will solve your issue, especially after you get the tires broken in a little. If your car is AWD, I wouldn't wait any longer and would get it done ASAP as you may be causing some expensive damage. Long term, I would get the alignment checked periodically while looking for abnormal wear. If your car is having trouble holding an alignment or the tires are wearing abnormally I would really look into getting the camber kit and having the alignment done right. It is also worth to note that OEM spec alignment may not be correct on a lowered car. You should find a shop that deals with lowered vehicles and have them setup the suspension.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Looking at what the OP has said here are my thoughts:

1. Using the old tires on the front with the bad wear, was probably not a good idea. Even though you are compensating by switching sides, no matter which way you tun the wheel, one side of bad wear will always be contacting the road. This can cause float and slipping in the front end while turning.

2. As one other poster was on to tire size can have an impact. I'm not talking about the numbers on the sides matching, I am talking about the wear and remaining 32nds. Traction control systems rely on wheel speed sensors. You're smaller older tires will always be spinning faster than the rears, this can cause havoc with the traction control and make it do wierd things, especially under spirited driving. To that end, wear and remaining 32nds aren't the only concern as different brand/models of tire can be significantly different in size, even if the numbers on the sidewall are the same. For instance, BFG's tend to run fat and tall, while Nitto's tend to run skinny and short.

3. You didn't mention if it was a RWD G35, or AWD G35. If it is AWD, number 2 is real critical. You can cause permanent damage to the AWD system by running out of spec tires. Most systems are only designed to compensate for 1 or 2 32nds of difference between tires, any more and you will be burning up the diffs in no time.

4. The General UHP is a real good tire and not some offbrand hunk of crap. With that said, it is also made out of a harder compound rubber than most high performance tires. This can make them "greasy" when new until they wear in a little. Low temps and bad weather don't help the situation any.

5. You mentioned your car was lowered. Depending on how much, you may need to invest in a camber kit so you can get the alignment setup the way it is supposed to be. While it may not be causing a major issue, it can cause premature wear as you found out and can certainly effect your handling.

If this were my car, I would head back to the tire shop and replace the worn BFG's with new General UHP's to match the rear. I think this will solve your issue, especially after you get the tires broken in a little. If your car is AWD, I wouldn't wait any longer and would get it done ASAP as you may be causing some expensive damage. Long term, I would get the alignment checked periodically while looking for abnormal wear. If your car is having trouble holding an alignment or the tires are wearing abnormally I would really look into getting the camber kit and having the alignment done right. It is also worth to note that OEM spec alignment may not be correct on a lowered car. You should find a shop that deals with lowered vehicles and have them setup the suspension.
The car is RWD. I'm also certain that replacing the fronts with another set of UHP's will cure the issue. I was just trying to find a specific reason for the awkward driving characteristics and hopefully a solution other than replacement (since rotating tires isn't exactly unusual). I'll swing by the tire shop to check the balancing (although vibration caused by balancing shouldnt trip the traction control) and in the end probably get another set of UHP's from discount tire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive