U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,856,903 times

Advertisements

i probably would have just shot him in the knee cap and disabled him, then call the police. after that i would disarm him by putting my right knee in the back of his neck as he laid on the ground. when the police got there, i would simply explain that it was in TOTAL self defense b/c he had a knife and was aobut to kill me, i couldn't do anything besides shoot him! he had me completely blocked in from all sides...would have really tought that racist pig a lesson!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:22 PM

48,519 posts, read 81,210,251 times
Sounds to me like one hothead got another hothead goigng and both wanted a incident. That is the way it often happens and whether its ****;honky the N word or just plinan F.. word it just gets enflamed more. Its these hot heads that you read about when someone nedsup stabbing or shoot another.I this case having stopped and gotten out with the gun would have lead to a problem at trail for the defense.Bet the other stroy is this guy came in the roght lane passing other that had already moived over into the left and cut me offf. I pulled over to the shoulder to stop and coll down. He stopped ;so i knew its was trouble;so got ny knife. SAure enough he had stopped and pulled a gun pointig it at me and dared me. I wasn;t that stupid tho.Need to trade that knife for a handgun I think just in case there is a next time.Bad enough being cutoff but having a guy stop and want shoot you proves I need protection. I am sure he called me a racial name in spanish. There are always two versions at trail and this would ahve lead to a trial isnce the OP admits stopping when he didn't have to. Two people with road rage noramly comes out bad.Luckily this involved two people that were more show than action.

Last edited by texdav; 03-17-2010 at 01:34 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 01:36 PM

137 posts, read 314,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman6974 View Post
I find it disturbing you don't realize how dangerous it is out there.

Scenario: Your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and you're by yourself. You call for help but it will be 30 minutes to an hour before someone arrives. This car pulls in front you and two huge guys get out and start toward your car. They are rough looking and you know they are up to no good.

Wouldn't you want a gun then just in case?
I would like to see the statistics on how many people break down on the side of the road and then get attacked by strangers. My gut tells me that this is extremely rare. Millions of Americans make it through their daily lives just fine, without guns, despite how "dangerous" you perceive it to be out there.

I'm not entirely opposed to carrying firearms if an individual truly feels the need to, but they should really be incredibly cautious about what situations they should even consider pulling their weapon out for. The situation described by the OP seems like two guys with macho attitudes and road rage brandishing weapons, including a gun in the middle of what was clearly a very busy road way, for ABSURD reasons.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:44 PM

5,996 posts, read 13,327,862 times
Anyone who thinks that he should have stayed in the car and locked his doors is trying way too hard to appear righteous and civil. If you want to get glass in your face, sure go ahead and stay in the car as an irate person is coming at you with a knife. If he had no trouble pulling a knife, he would probably have no issue pulling a gun (since you don't what weapon someone might have) and firing shots at your vehicle as you decide to quietly drive away to avoid the trouble. He already initiated the confrontation by stopping the car in the middle of the road. It shows that he is willing to make contact and just running away isn't going to work, particularly if there's traffic.

I don't own a gun and I'd rather live in a world where no one did (except maybe law enforcement) but ignoring an angry person is not going to magically make the problem go away. It will just make you less prepared for when it does.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:05 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,064,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc09 View Post
I would like to see the statistics on how many people break down on the side of the road and then get attacked by strangers. My gut tells me that this is extremely rare. Millions of Americans make it through their daily lives just fine, without guns, despite how "dangerous" you perceive it to be out there.

I honestly don't know the statistics and don't feel the need to look it up. It's doesn't matter how "rare" it is, there is nothing wrong with being prepared because it can and does happen. A gun is a valuable resource when it's used correctly and respectively.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:07 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,658,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Ok, I am not one to argue. I was at fault. I should have let him come at me and cut me a new one, do damage to my car, then call the cops and wait for ambulance.
Next time I'll do just that.
Who said anything about letting him cut you? Why didn't you just run him over, if he didn't move. If the thread was impossible to get out of, immobilize so that the cops can get him, don't wave a gun around and let someone who should be taken through the legal system get away.

Quote:
I find it disturbing you don't realize how dangerous it is out there.

Scenario: Your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere and you're by yourself. You call for help but it will be 30 minutes to an hour before someone arrives. This car pulls in front you and two huge guys get out and start toward your car. They are rough looking and you know they are up to no good.

Wouldn't you want a gun then just in case?
That's the case, even in America, which has a lot more crime (per capita) of certain types than where I live, I never felt unsafe there, not even at night in what's considered a "bad" neighborhood. (Yes, there were people who were very obviously dealing drugs, anyone should be able to rationally understand why they're not interested in attacking anyone for no good reason. Some places they even work as a form of vigilante police force.)

The chance of breaking down is slim, the chance of someone with bad intentions stopping and confronting you, even less, the chance of them killing you, if you just give them the car and valuables, if that's what they're after, close to zero.

So why should I carry a gun if there's such litle chance of something actually happening? Who are these crazed criminal killers I should be so worried about?

I'll quote this:
Quote:
Despite the recent stagnation of the homicide rate, however, property and violent crimes overall have continued to decrease, though at a considerably slower pace than in the 1990s.[8] Overall, the crime rate in the U.S. was the same in 2004 as in 1969, with the homicide rate being roughly the same as in 1966. Violent crime overall, however, is still at the same level as in 1974, despite having decreased steadily since 1991
Said in shorter terms, there's no greater risk of being murdered today, than there was 36 years ago, and the numbers are declining.

According to numbers available for 2008, by FBI There were 5.4 murders per 100.000 citizens that year. That means the risk of being killed over all is 0.0054%, now consider that most murders are committed by someone who knows the victim.

Why on earth would I carry a gun, based on those numbers? I'm so infinitely more at risk by even by peanuts, than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Anyone who thinks that he should have stayed in the car and locked his doors is trying way too hard to appear righteous and civil.
I'm not trying to do that at all, I just don't see how the situation warranted the reaction. I'm not saying he didn't feel it needed at the time, but I don't think it was the proper reaction, and frankly, I think the reaction was enabled by the presence of the gun, had he not have had it, I think he would've found a better solution.

The OP actually risked killing someone, justifiably or not, because of a traffic altercation, personally, I wouldn't want to make a murderer out of myself over something so trivial.

Quote:
I honestly don't know the statistics and don't feel the need to look it up. It's doesn't matter how "rare" it is, there is nothing wrong with being prepared because it can and does happen. A gun is a valuable resource when it's used correctly and respectively.
I looked some of them up for you

Are you just as prepared, with scalpels to perform an emergency Tracheotomy in case a pretzel gets stuck in your throat when you eat them too? Or Adrenalin and such in case you have an allergic reaction to a bee sting or a peanut? Because you are at far far greater risk in those situations.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:57 PM

29,465 posts, read 33,766,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
How is this a "Racial Incident"?
Did you read that he was called a spick?

Old 03-17-2010, 05:24 PM

2,671 posts, read 5,419,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL...Sweetie, If I were there...I would have no need to cut you off....I would have left you in my dust!
Depending what car I drove that day.

You'd have a hard time shaking off a 3200lbs car making 700whp

Quote:
Ok, I am not one to argue. I was at fault. I should have let him come at me and cut me a new one, do damage to my car, then call the cops and wait for ambulance.
Next time I'll do just that.
Maybe if you let that happen, you may not be able to post it here.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:29 PM

4,227 posts, read 20,342,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Anyone who thinks that he should have stayed in the car and locked his doors is trying way too hard to appear righteous and civil. If you want to get glass in your face, sure go ahead and stay in the car as an irate person is coming at you with a knife. If he had no trouble pulling a knife, he would probably have no issue pulling a gun (since you don't what weapon someone might have) and firing shots at your vehicle as you decide to quietly drive away to avoid the trouble. He already initiated the confrontation by stopping the car in the middle of the road. It shows that he is willing to make contact and just running away isn't going to work, particularly if there's traffic.

I don't own a gun and I'd rather live in a world where no one did (except maybe law enforcement) but ignoring an angry person is not going to magically make the problem go away. It will just make you less prepared for when it does.
It's one thing if the aggravated driver had a knife....it's another if he has a gun. I don't think the knife guy is going to hurl his knife thru a closed window like some Chuck Norris stunt.

I probably would have just drove away with my windows up if someone was pissed at me and pulled off to the side to fight with a knife, after I waved goodbye to them and left.

Now if the clown then pulled out a gun and started shooting, I'd pull my piece out too and return fire while trying to get the heck out of Dodge.

Quote:
LOL, good one there! Curse him out in spanish.
Now I have to admit if you're going to curse someone out to their face, at least do it in a language they can understand. To do it in another language is just a ***** move.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:11 PM

20,005 posts, read 68,055,305 times
A guy with a knife and a guy with a gun. What happened to the good ol' toe-to-toe days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive