Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 06:12 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

I saw a few cars around lately that have factory rims that were spray painted by the vehicle's owner. Some were a matte black spray paint. One looks like it could have been done at a professional shop. It was a Nissan Altima with Infiniti rims painted a neon Pistachio green color. Looks like they tried to hide the Infiniti logo on the rims with huge amounts of paint. I think factory rims can look great if painted in a professional manner. I actually like seeing old beat up cars with DIY spray painted steel rims instead of cheap plastic hubcaps or monster size aftermarket rims. But why DIY spray paint factory rims? Keep them clean and they look nice. One I saw looked like the owner didn't even bother to pre-treat the rim surface before spray painting. Parts of the rim looked like reverse freckles (dark skin with light colored freckles all over).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2015, 06:16 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I saw a few cars around lately that have factory rims that were spray painted by the vehicle's owner. Some were a matte black spray paint. One looks like it could have been done at a professional shop. It was a Nissan Altima with Infiniti rims painted a neon Pistachio green color. Looks like they tried to hide the Infiniti logo on the rims with huge amounts of paint. I think factory rims can look great if painted in a professional manner. I actually like seeing old beat up cars with DIY spray painted steel rims instead of cheap plastic hubcaps or monster size aftermarket rims. But why DIY spray paint factory rims? Keep them clean and they look nice. One I saw looked like the owner didn't even bother to pre-treat the rim surface before spray painting. Parts of the rim looked like reverse freckles (dark skin with light colored freckles all over).
Younger kids do that they don't have the money to get them powder coated. In the 70's we use to paint our rims white when the rear end was lifted on some mopars.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Most likely it's lack of money. Black wheels have become very popular, and $3 for a can of Rustoleum or Krylon is a lot less than $150 each for new wheels.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,248,094 times
i almost tried this with my heavily pitted wheels. Pressure washer couldn't remove any of the crud so I just left it alone. Probably will need a wire brush but don't feel like painting it anymore.

Old 09-24-2015, 08:08 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
If you can get a separate set of wheels, powder coating could be a good option

Old 09-24-2015, 08:32 PM

24,488 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Black rims are getting popular. Last week at the tire shop I noticed about 40% of the wheels for sale in the shop were black.
Many people don't have money but they still have pride in their ride and no skill. A can of spray paint is a cheap way to spruce up a car.

Painting wheels is easy and you can make them look pretty good with a rattle can. Painting racing stripes on the hood not such a good idea. LOL

Old 09-24-2015, 08:51 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,734,325 times
Could have been plastidip.

I dip my winter tires in black. More to protect it from winter road grime than anything

Old 09-24-2015, 08:55 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,932,809 times
Yep, plastidip is getting popular, and when you get tired of the color you just peel it off and dip again. I've even heard of people doing the whole car in plastidip, sprayed off course.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:12 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Black rims are getting popular. Last week at the tire shop I noticed about 40% of the wheels for sale in the shop were black.
Many people don't have money but they still have pride in their ride and no skill. A can of spray paint is a cheap way to spruce up a car.

Painting wheels is easy and you can make them look pretty good with a rattle can. Painting racing stripes on the hood not such a good idea. LOL
I agree, but you got to pretreat the surface to get it ready to accept the paint. Some look like they didn't bother. Saw one that didn't even bother with painter's tape and got paint on the tires and part of the fenders.

Old 09-25-2015, 07:13 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,125,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I agree, but you got to pretreat the surface to get it ready to accept the paint. Some look like they didn't bother. Saw one that didn't even bother with painter's tape and got paint on the tires and part of the fenders.
Thats why you let the pros do them if you do cheap then they look cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive