Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 07:19 AM

161 posts, read 563,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
What Sunspirit said is absolutely spot on - and spoken from years of experience with diesels.

Read it carefully.
agreed. looks like if we choose to buy a diesel, it will be an emotion decision rather than a logical one. i am okay with that. thank you all for your wonderful replies. i definately learned a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 09:08 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritle View Post
agreed. looks like if we choose to buy a diesel, it will be an emotion decision rather than a logical one. i am okay with that. thank you all for your wonderful replies. i definately learned a lot.
To be completely honest, based on your original post I'd suggest you not go the diesel route. Most of the people who love diesels are people who are really into cars & trucks and/or people like myself, who grew up in and on diesels.

I've owned and driven quite a few diesel cars & trucks over the years. I don't have a diesel anymore simply because the amount and type of driving I do does not warrant having one.

Good luck!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
To be completely honest, based on your original post I'd suggest you not go the diesel route. Most of the people who love diesels are people who are really into cars & trucks and/or people like myself, who grew up in and on diesels.

I've owned and driven quite a few diesel cars & trucks over the years. I don't have a diesel anymore simply because the amount and type of driving I do does not warrant having one.

Good luck!
thanks for your input. if it were up to me, i do feel like a gasser (new term to me, lol) would be best for me. BUT, i think my husband is leaning toward diesel. he is an ase certified mechanic, rebuilt the engine on our 1991 mitsubishi montero (LOVED that thing), reads everything he can get his hands on concerning diesel/vegetable oil whatever and hates being dependent on foreign oil. lol, so if it turns out that i am meh and he is gung-ho, we may end up with a diesel after all. and he will be the one with a new car and i will still be driving my beloved passat.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
I find it mildly amusing that he hates being dependent on foreign oil, but likes swastika-mobiles (just kidding folks, don't throw a fit).

Good luck with your purchase! If you find there's not much in it either way, financially, I'd just go with whatever I liked better to drive, and fro the daily commute, a diesel DOES deliver the power in a very calm and reassuring manner. (Plus, the power is right there, at low rpms)

Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
I find it mildly amusing that he hates being dependent on foreign oil, but likes swastika-mobiles...
took me 15 years of begging...plus, notice i said MY beloved...

Old 03-18-2010, 02:18 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
thanks for your input. if it were up to me, i do feel like a gasser (new term to me, lol) would be best for me. BUT, i think my husband is leaning toward diesel. he is an ase certified mechanic, rebuilt the engine on our 1991 mitsubishi montero (LOVED that thing), reads everything he can get his hands on concerning diesel/vegetable oil whatever and hates being dependent on foreign oil. lol, so if it turns out that i am meh and he is gung-ho, we may end up with a diesel after all. and he will be the one with a new car and i will still be driving my beloved passat.
If he really wants to run veggie/bio he should get a truck just to have the available utility for moving the required materials/grease around. Thats just my opinion and it is what I did in my personal experience. Also, for that type of modification you really want an engine that has the least amount of electronic control as possible... for instance I have absolutley none.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:34 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,486,556 times
One of my favourite subjects...

The diesel motor is so superior to a gas one...
I will buy diesels even just for praising its superiority & rewarding good technology...

Just for...ideological reasons...not to save or lose 200-300 bucks in the long run...

Old 03-18-2010, 02:55 PM

747 posts, read 2,757,763 times
Quote:
If biodiesel/veg oil is his goal, then the way to go is an older diesel with few electronics and indirect injection such as the ones in the W123/W124/W126 Mercedes-Benzes. The W123 is the simplest of the 3, but they are all DIY-friendly compared to today's cars and something your mechanically proficient hubby will probably be comfortable working on. The only one to avoid would be the 350 SD/SDL.

Not sure how buying a new TDi or anything similar running on commercial diesel at a typical service station does really address his foreign oil dependency question very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive