U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2010, 02:13 PM

161 posts, read 488,147 times

Advertisements

please excuse my ignorance. i know nothing about cars. but we are in the market for a new one and my husband is looking for good mpg. we have been looking at the golf tdi or jetta wagon tdi. but i have been reading that unless you keep your car for many years, a diesel may not be the most economical vehicle to purchase. i am not sure why i should spend a few thousand more on a diesel when we only keep our cars for 5 or 6 years. can someone break this down for me (in small words, lol).
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,343,652 times
on the freeway diesel are better than hybrids and don't have expensive battery packs that can go wrong a diesel car is the way to go if you want a long lasting durable car that get good fuel mileage even better than than prius on the HWY in most cases.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,343,652 times
Diesel vs. hybrid

Jeremy Cato
LOS ANGELES – This fall, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen have both made noise with the launch of new, cleaner diesels that meet tailpipe emissions standards in all 50 U.S. states and Canada. Next year, Lexus and Toyota fight back with new gasoline-electric hybrids.
At the Los Angeles Auto Show, VW barely had time to enjoy winning the Green Car of the Year Award for the diesel-powered Volkswagen Jetta TDI, before Lexus showed off the 2010 version of its RX crossover. The '10 RX lineup will include a new hybrid model that Toyota and Lexus officials say is far cleaner than any affordable diesel can possibly be.
The battle between diesel and hybrid, to date mostly a minor skirmish with little head-to-head conflict, is about to become a major engagement.
Diesel advocates, essentially German auto makers who have years of experience and research with the technology thanks to its popularity with passenger cars in Europe, say diesel is proven to work at reducing fuel consumption, while also delivering better performance – especially in highway driving where hybrids offer virtually no fuel economy or emissions benefit.
VW's Green Car win in Los Angeles offered some significant validation for the latest diesels. At a starting price of $25,775, the base Jetta TDI wagon is a versatile and affordable family vehicle that delivers 30 to 35 per cent better fuel economy than the gasoline version. It is also nearly $2,000 cheaper than the base Toyota Prius four-door hatchback ($27,400) before provincial tax rebates are factored into the equation.
The Jetta TDI, like the recently introduced BlueTEC diesels from Mercedes (e.g. the ML 320 BlueTEC) and the coming cleaner diesels from BMW, also meets current Tier II Bin 5 emissions standards. This is the standard required to sell passenger cars in U.S. states such as California and Vermont.
But Lexus officials say their upcoming 2010 RX 450h hybrid, as well as the new Prius hybrid slated to be unveiled at January's Detroit auto show, will meet Tier II Bin 3 standards. For diesels to get that clean, manufacturers will be required to make significant investments in new diesel emissions technology.
from
Diesel vs. hybrid - The Globe and Mail

Old 03-17-2010, 02:42 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,640,775 times
It depends a lot on your driving style honestly, it requires you do adapt slightly to the different power delivery of a diesel engine.

It also depends on the car, on small city cars (which frankly, you don't have, over there, but I mention them anyway) they rarely have much point., the Golf TDi however is a very competent car (depending slightly on the TDi you have, I'm not sure how many are supplied over there.) it can also dish out some very VERY good MPG numbers.

I've driven both diesels and petrols (my daily driver) a lot, and I actually like the way the diesels deliver power, in everyday driving. There are few diesels who also manage to be as fun when driving enthusiastically (BMW manages though), but for everyday driving, they generally have the power where you need it.

I've personally driven a diesel at double the official MPG figure, and I have a led foot.

Depending on what kind of driving you do most of, it might very well be a great deal, it also depends how much you actually drive.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:43 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,853,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritle View Post
...i am not sure why i should spend a few thousand more on a diesel when we only keep our cars for 5 or 6 years. can someone break this down for me (in small words, lol).
make sure your husband is on the same page here...

i've always heard that those VW TDI's, if properly maintained, can go literally FOREVER...i'm talking 500k+ miles.

take that into consideration, and you'de be saving a good bit of money, not only on gas, but also not having to buy another car for a long while...

Old 03-17-2010, 02:50 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,632,366 times
If you want to take the emotion out of the argument, work up a spreadsheet and compare the cost of owning a few different cars.

One of the things not appreciated by many is that in terms of actual fuel consumed, a car that gets 45 MPG is not much cheaper to run than one that gets 40 MPG.

12000 miles divided by 40 = 300 gals
12000 miles divided by 45 = 267 gals

The difference is just $92 per year at $2.75 per gallon. Over five years the difference is just $458.

If it costs you more than $92 to get that extra 5 MPG then you are wasting money.

The difference between 15 MPG and 20 MPG on the other hand is significant because so much more fuel is involved.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 PM

864 posts, read 2,983,650 times
Take everything you think you know about old diesel technology and forget it. Modern diesels are clean, powerful, don't smoke and don't clatter. I would like to have a Jetta TDI but the Audi A3 TDI is a very fun to drive little car. I would much rather have a diesel A3 or Jetta than a Prius or an Insight. Hybrids simply can't offer the fun-to-drive and power factor of a modern diesel.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:52 PM

13,720 posts, read 24,632,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugerjitsu View Post
make sure your husband is on the same page here...

i've always heard that those VW TDI's, if properly maintained, can go literally FOREVER...i'm talking 500k+ miles.

take that into consideration, and you'de be saving a good bit of money, not only on gas, but also not having to buy another car for a long while...
The engine might last that long. But the body, paint, interior, etc. will not.

Factor in also the higher cost of diesel fuel. Many forecast it will remain more expensive for the foreseeable future.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,330,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Factor in also the higher cost of diesel fuel. Many forecast it will remain more expensive for the foreseeable future.
Because there's lower demand. It's actually CHEAPER to refine diesel.

Also, the body of all those 300-500k+ mile Merc 300TDs have faired well around here

Old 03-17-2010, 03:26 PM

864 posts, read 2,983,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If you properly care for your paint and your interior, there is no reason it won't last that long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive