U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 05:38 PM

13,423 posts, read 42,812,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
7.4L gas = worse fuel economy.
3500 = heavier chassis = worse fuel economy.
Lift = more drag = worse fuel economy.
Large tires = more weight = needs more power to move = worse fuel economy.
Mud tires = more rolling resistance = worse fuel economy.
City driving = stop and go = worse fuel economy.

So with all that said, I don't think you're far off on any of it. My work had a 2000 C2500 ext. cab/8ft. bed with the 350. With a smaller engine, a lighter chassis, and highway tires, the truck reports that were turned in yielded 8-12 mpg.
True enough, but at 4-6 MPG he's burning 2X the gas your truck was - or at least he's *indicating* 4-6, if the odometer isn't calibrated to those tires he's actually traveling more than a mile per indicated mile...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 05:48 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,033,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
What engine does this have? I am going to say it should get 10-12 MPG. If it is getting 4-6 something is definitely wrong with it.
I'll bet it's the lift kit and big tires that is killing his MPG. Knarly tires may look good but they are really dumb on the street.

As to what I'd suggest this OP do about keeping vs buying another truck.......
Buy the Toyota and leave it stock to get the best MPG and long term use.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:08 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,215,268 times
Stock 235/85/16 tires are 31.7" diameter. 35" would be 10.4% larger, so if the speedo wasn't recalibrated, then you would need to add 10.4% to your mileage before calculating the mpg.

454 vs. 350 ... 29.7% more displacement, so there's some fuel to factor there too. Rolling resistance, wind resistance, vehicle weight, and inertia ... they're all going to contribute to lower mpg numbers.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,649,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehgi View Post
Sad to state not a typo. Bear in mind it has a 7.4 V8 or 454, 4" lift (not a big lift by any means) and 35" TOYO MT's. It's a nice truck. I put in 10 gallons and went 44 miles city so 44/10=4.4 miles per gal. Sucks
That's godawful! I'd certainly buy something else, lol.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:57 PM

3,306 posts, read 9,032,640 times
Something is not correct. You need to do a proper MPG calculation. Next fill up make sure the tank is full to the brim, set your trip odometer, run the tank down low, go fill up again to the brim and record the amount you put in the tank and then divide trip miles by gallons filled.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 AM

3,400 posts, read 5,475,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Stock 235/85/16 tires are 31.7" diameter. 35" would be 10.4% larger, so if the speedo wasn't recalibrated, then you would need to add 10.4% to your mileage before calculating the mpg.

454 vs. 350 ... 29.7% more displacement, so there's some fuel to factor there too. Rolling resistance, wind resistance, vehicle weight, and inertia ... they're all going to contribute to lower mpg numbers.
That.

I think my stepdads 2000 3/4-ton Xcab with the 454 gets around 9-12 MPGs. Everything stock, but I don't believe he changed the dizzy cap or rotor out when he did the plugs and wires a good while back. Yay.

Bigger tires, the speedometer is off, now you have effectively knocked what was stock rear gear ratio of 3.73 down to about 3.35ish (quick fuzzy math), which definitely does NOT keep the engine in its peak powerband to get that truck up to speed. I would hate to tow with that truck--good bye transmission!

Time to regear to 4.10s and get some MPGs and some quicks back into the ride. Might actually put the speedometer back where it really belongs, too. So, I can believe this truck gets about 7 MPGs adjusting for the speedometer error.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM

8,293 posts, read 22,490,859 times
Quote:
I currently own (free and clear) a 1998 GMC Sierra SLE 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed with 107K, 4" lift. I love this truck but hate the lack of gas mileage. When I bought it gas price wasn't a problems, well now it really is. I have been trying to locate mileage numbers by the book but can't find any and fuel economy.gov dosen't list that vechicle because of it's GVW. I am currently getting about 4-6 mpg .

I am now looking to sell or trade for a Toyota Tacoma Extra Cab V6. Any suggestions, pros vs. cons?

Thank you in advance.
I'm guessing you have the 454 in that beast, and probably an automatic tranny. Even so, you really should be getting better mileage than that. Something is very wrong with your truck - or your math.

With big tires, your mileage calculations aren't right. An easy way to get a rough estimate is this: Go to the country, and drive exactly 1 mile between mile markers. If your odometer only clocks 9/10th of a mile, you need to add roughly 10% to your mileage calculations. 8/10th would mean you need to add 20%, and so on. It won't be completely accurate, but a good ballpark estimate.

That said, selling this truck and getting a Toyota Tacoma will do two things:
1. Increase your gas mileage significantly.
2. Leave you with a mere fraction of the towing and hauling capacity.

Do you NEED this big hog 1-ton truck, or is it just a toy? If it's a toy, it's a VERY expensive toy.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 AM

46 posts, read 120,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
True enough, but at 4-6 MPG he's burning 2X the gas your truck was - or at least he's *indicating* 4-6, if the odometer isn't calibrated to those tires he's actually traveling more than a mile per indicated mile...
M3 Mitch,
Thanks for that heads up, I will check on the odometer recalibration-maybe it was done when the lift was installed. If not or one way or another I will get it figured out. That would mess up the mileage calculation for sure.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:50 AM

46 posts, read 120,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I'm guessing you have the 454 in that beast, and probably an automatic tranny. Even so, you really should be getting better mileage than that. Something is very wrong with your truck - or your math.

With big tires, your mileage calculations aren't right. An easy way to get a rough estimate is this: Go to the country, and drive exactly 1 mile between mile markers. If your odometer only clocks 9/10th of a mile, you need to add roughly 10% to your mileage calculations. 8/10th would mean you need to add 20%, and so on. It won't be completely accurate, but a good ballpark estimate.

That said, selling this truck and getting a Toyota Tacoma will do two things:
1. Increase your gas mileage significantly.
2. Leave you with a mere fraction of the towing and hauling capacity.

Do you NEED this big hog 1-ton truck, or is it just a toy? If it's a toy, it's a VERY expensive toy.
No not a toy:
Wife, three kids, dog + fishing/hunting (towing a 25' trailor with two wall tents, wood stove, misc. crap, and three quads), camping = i need lots of room and power. I am will to give in a bit because these things only happen 3-4 times per year plus someone else can tow the heavy stuff for a change or take more trucks out to deer/elk camp.

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,365,010 times
Quote:
No not a toy:
Wife, three kids, dog + fishing/hunting (towing a 25' trailor with two wall tents, wood stove, misc. crap, and three quads), camping = i need lots of room and power. I am will to give in a bit because these things only happen 3-4 times per year plus someone else can tow the heavy stuff for a change or take more trucks out to deer/elk camp.

Thanks for all the helpful info.
then you won't be able to get away with a tacoma pulling a trailer and with all the kids you will need to look at a tundra with a I-force 5.7 liter V-8 or go for a dodge ram 2500 with the cummins turbo diesel which gets into the mid-20's on the freeway and still pulls down high teens while towing for a large truck used for towing a diesel is the way to go for sure IMO.
chances are my next truck will be a 99-01 ford F250 super duty with a 7.3 powerstoke turbo diesel because my gas powered 91 F250 eats way to much gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or