U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM

46 posts, read 120,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
then you won't be able to get away with a tacoma pulling a trailer and with all the kids you will need to look at a tundra with a I-force 5.7 liter V-8 or go for a dodge ram 2500 with the cummins turbo diesel which gets into the mid-20's on the freeway and still pulls down high teens while towing for a large truck used for towing a diesel is the way to go for sure IMO.
chances are my next truck will be a 99-01 ford F250 super duty with a 7.3 powerstoke turbo diesel because my gas powered 91 F250 eats way to much gas.
I hear you but like I said I will be down sizing or a best having someone else tow all the heavy stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 9,205,391 times
Obviously, you have been using the truck for its intended purpose and capabilities, so getting a smaller truck still isn't really a do-it-all solution.

If you have the space for parking, have you considered just getting a car for daily driving instead of a full on replacement for the truck? The truck is paid off already ... keep it for your weekend duties.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:46 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,516,591 times
Why not do the obvious and buy a regular car or wagon for the daily driving duties and keep the truck parked until you are going on trips where you need the room? You really don't need the massive truck for trips to the store, or dropping the kids off at soccer practice. Since it is paid for, there is no reason to get rid of it, just buy something cheap that's good on gas for everyday use.

With that said, if you NEED the truck on a daily basis, I would look at getting into something diesel, like a F250 crew cab w/ an extended bed. Tons of power for hauling, plenty of room for the family and much better MPG. I have a couple friends with them and they can get 20+ on the highway and are usually in the teens around town. To me, big truck = diesel, there really is no debate on that as it's better in every aspect.

The Tacoma you are considering will be crying (if not flat out breaking) when you load up the family and the gear for your trips.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:59 PM

232 posts, read 496,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Why not do the obvious and buy a regular car or wagon for the daily driving duties and keep the truck parked until you are going on trips where you need the room? You really don't need the massive truck for trips to the store, or dropping the kids off at soccer practice. Since it is paid for, there is no reason to get rid of it, just buy something cheap that's good on gas for everyday use.

With that said, if you NEED the truck on a daily basis, I would look at getting into something diesel, like a F250 crew cab w/ an extended bed. Tons of power for hauling, plenty of room for the family and much better MPG. I have a couple friends with them and they can get 20+ on the highway and are usually in the teens around town. To me, big truck = diesel, there really is no debate on that as it's better in every aspect.

The Tacoma you are considering will be crying (if not flat out breaking) when you load up the family and the gear for your trips.

Second that. I was going to dump my current Honda Civic and get a big SUV that only gets 15MPG combined. I am just so use to being a one car person. It occurred to me my Honda Civic (old 1996 I paid for completely day one) only cost me $35/mo for insurance to own. Gets great MPG and is just about bullet proof for reliability and being an old car is easy for me to work on and plenty of parts in the U-Pull It yards to pick from. I think the 15MPG SUV as a daily driver would easily eat through triple $35 a month, so...cheaper to have two cars that are specific to my purpose then to try to make one car do both poorly.

Or get a truck just like yours as diesel. You'll pay @$.40 cents more per gallon, but it'll get probably 20MPG with a lift and big tires.

Old 03-18-2010, 06:30 PM

13,395 posts, read 42,750,303 times
What Da Goat said - the truck makes sense for you for what you are doing with it out in the woods, it just does not make any sense as a daily driver. Being in the PNW area you can find all sorts of cheap, older cars or even something like a 1980's Toyota truck if you are the kind of guy who just wouldn't be caught dead in an import car.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:14 PM

2,024 posts, read 4,473,555 times
I agree with Narfcake on post #22. Some people mentioned a newer diesel truck but they are way too expensive to buy and won't do anything your current truck would do other than get better gas mileage by a decent amount, but they cost way too much to buy and in my opinion are overated money pits. If your current truck is paid for than why bother with something more expensive. Anyway, I've seen fully loaded medium duty grain trucks with 534 and 549 cid gas v8s get similar gas mileage as your much smaller pickup gets so I too think something is wrong.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 AM

444 posts, read 1,037,915 times
My brother has a '05 2500 HD with the 8.1L (496/gas) and gets 9-11 mpg. Stock w/no lift. Awesome truck and rare with that engine, but ouch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or