U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 01:12 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,023,684 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know anything about these conversions. I have been to the many web sites on google but not info I need.

Are they as good as they claimto be? Also how would you determine what one is worth?

I found a 2000 model E250 Ford Hightop with 88,000 miles and in excellent body shape on outside but interior needs replaced. Needs new tires and has 17 inch wheels. The 4x4 runs strong accordi ng to dealer and said they were asking 6,000.00 but would consider lower offers.

These vans cost in the mid 40's to 80's and are well made. The banks don't have a clue.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM

8,957 posts, read 17,000,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Does anybody know anything about these conversions. I have been to the many web sites on google but not info I need.

Are they as good as they claimto be? Also how would you determine what one is worth?

I found a 2000 model E250 Ford Hightop with 88,000 miles and in excellent body shape on outside but interior needs replaced. Needs new tires and has 17 inch wheels. The 4x4 runs strong accordi ng to dealer and said they were asking 6,000.00 but would consider lower offers.

These vans cost in the mid 40's to 80's and are well made. The banks don't have a clue.

Thanks for any info.
These 4x4 conversion vans are whole lotta heartache when new and they get worse as they age when it comes to parts for repair and finding someone to take on the task doing the repair when needed.

If it were me I take the stars outta my eyes and just buy a regular 4x4 truck, with a topper to close in the bed, and be very glad I didn't buy that 4x4 van.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:02 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,134,961 times
Not true about parts, or reliability.

I have owned 3 Ford Vans with Quigley conversions. They use mostly stock Ford parts right off the shelf for their conversions and have been since they started doing them back in the 70's. You happen to break something it is EASY to get a replacement part. It is either a stock Ford part from the same model year 4X4 truck, or a quick call to Quigley will have one on it's way. That being said, I never had a problem with any of the vans I had when it came to reliability. 2 of them went well over 175,000 miles without a major problem, and zero problems with the drivetrain. 1 had the crappy Ford E4OD tranny which died, but that was a transmission problem and was fairly common on everything that had that transmission installed. It had nothing to do with the conversion.

We had one for a work van at a company I worked for and we beat the living daylights out of that thing, it kept together for many years before the motor gave out. We ran it up and down ski hills, towed heavy trailers with it, loaded it way beyond what we should have, and it still kept going for almost 12 years. If they are so unreliable I highly doubt FedEx would continue to buy them year after year.

As for price, hard telling really. You might want to check the Quigley website and see if there is any FSBO vans about the same to get a close value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive