U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 AM

865 posts, read 2,066,174 times

Advertisements

We need seating for 6 or 7, so I'm looking at a Flex or Traverse. Don't want a big SUV, don't want a minivan. I haven't had the opportunity to test drive one yet (we're relocating from overseas), so all my info about cars is really from my online research.

Has anyone had any experience with either of these cars, and what did you think? Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:36 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,516,591 times
They are both rather different in driving and certainly different in styling. My wife and I had considered both at one point and either is a good option.

The Flex offers a ton of really cool features and options that you just can't get on the Traverse, or many other vehicles. It offers a lower stance, which makes getting in and out more like a car, than an SUV. If you need the seating space for adults, the Flex is definitely the way to go, as it offers pretty flexible seating and is very comfortable even in the the third row. The looks are polarizing, but that is personal choice. I happen to like it, my wife hates it. If you are looking to get one and budget isn't a concern, you should step up to the Ecoboost engine option as the base V6 is a little lethargic. Although, if you pick the Ecoboost you are locked into getting AWD.

The Traverse is a very solid vehicle and is closer to a traditional SUV than the Flex. The styling is more sedated and that seems to be popular. There are a massive array of interior options and the seating options can be configured for 7 or 8 passengers. The Traverse is Chevy's version of the Lambda platfrom SUV's, the other ones are the GMC Acadia and the Buick Enclave. All three are very highly rated vehicles. If you step up to the GMC or Buick you also gain upgraded materials and some options that the Chevy doesn't offer. All three share the same 3.6L engine and are available in FWD or AWD.

You never mentioned a price point, but you can also shop for some of these used/certified. There are a lot of options there and you will save some money.

If it was my choice I would go with the Flex if I was hauling around adults and teens. If I had younger kids and needed flexible seating options I would go with the Traverse.

One other option out there is the Mercedes "minivan" the R-class. Used these are going for a steal as they were never that popular. They are very similar to the Flex in design and function, but it is a Mercedes. The only drawback is the maintenance cost and being limited to 6 passenger seating.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:26 PM

@NJGOAT - Wow! What a great review of both cars. Thanks so much! That's just what I was looking for, and more. Great info!

Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,516,591 times
You're welcome and good luck with the move, welcome to America.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,572,538 times
Get the Chevrolet. GM needs the money, we want them to be out from under government control one of these days.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:55 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,332,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Get the Chevrolet. GM needs the money, we want them to be out from under government control one of these days.
Wow, now there is a good rationale on how to spend $30K +! ROTFLMAO

Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,572,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Wow, now there is a good rationale on how to spend $30K +! ROTFLMAO
Ok, Buy the Chevrolet because it is the superior vehicle.

Better?

Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 PM

1,374 posts, read 2,252,324 times
You can't go wrong with either one. The Chevrolet is larger in most dimensions and has more seating, but the Flex is the more stylish and feature-filled of the two. The Chevy has slightly more power unless you go with the EcoBoost Flex, which gets the 355 hp Taurus SHO engine. Both standard V6's get 17/24 mpg.

The Chevy sells quite a bit more due to its versatility and size. Lots of former Tahoe buyers have been switching to the Traverse. The Flex, on the other hand, sort of created its own segment. The ride is more carlike and more luxurious than the Traverse. It has one of the quietest interiors in its segment.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:07 AM

Thanks Mustang! Chadro - pretty funny! I'll keep that in mind, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive