Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 12:34 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,352,317 times

Advertisements

This is a copy of an email I got. I have always tried to do this, but I didn't know it was a law in effect since 2003. I think it is a law that is seldom heeded, so I often wondered why they didn't make it one.

New Law: If a patrol car is pulled over to the side of the road, you have to change to the next lane (away from the stopped vehicle) or slow down by 20 mph. Every state except Hawaii and Maryland and the D.C. has this law.
In California , the "Move-over" law became operative on January 1, 2010. Move Over America | Protect Law Enforcement Officers

A friend's son got a ticket for this recently. A police car (turned out it was 2 police cars) was on the side of the road giving a ticket to someone else. He slowed down to pass but did not move into the other lane. The second police car immediately pulled him over and gave him a ticket. He had never heard of the law.

It is a fairly new law that states if any emergency vehicle is on the side of the road, if you are able, you are to move into the far lane. The cost of the ticket was $754, with 3 points on your license and a mandatory court appearance.

Please let everyone you know that drives about this new law. It is true (see details at the following web address). snopes.com: 'Move Over' Traffic Laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 12:58 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,426 times
It's not really new. I always did it anyways. It's common courtesy.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:44 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
This is a copy of an email I got. I have always tried to do this, but I didn't know it was a law in effect since 2003. I think it is a law that is seldom heeded, so I often wondered why they didn't make it one.
Thanks for posting this, Buzz. Having lived in MD/DC for the past 25 years (the only places in the continental U.S. that don't have such a law), I was unaware of this requirement.

I just did a quick check of the Nevada driving statute and found that the law here isn't quite as strict as it is in some other places. For example, it just says that drivers should slow down to a "reasonable and proper" speed when approaching a stopped emergency vehicle. Moreover, after three subparagraphs discussing speed, the statute then notes that you should move over to the next lane "if possible." That's a pretty nebulous phrase and leaves a lot of leeway for a defense against a charge for failing to do so. For anyone who is interested, here is the pertinent section of the NRS:

NRS 484B.607 Duties of driver when approaching authorized emergency vehicle which is stopped and using flashing lights or tow car which is stopped and using flashing amber warning lights; penalty.
1. Upon approaching an authorized emergency vehicle which is stopped and is making use of flashing lights meeting the requirements of subsection 3 of NRS 484A.480 or a tow car which is stopped and is making use of flashing amber warning lights meeting the requirements of NRS 484B.748, the driver of the approaching vehicle shall, in the absence of other direction given by a peace officer:
(a) Decrease the speed of the vehicle to a speed that is:
(1) Reasonable and proper, pursuant to the criteria set forth in subsection 1 of NRS 484B.600; and
(2) Less than the posted speed limit, if a speed limit has been posted;
(b) Proceed with caution;
(c) Be prepared to stop; and
(d) If possible, drive in a lane that is not adjacent to the lane in which the emergency vehicle or tow car is stopped, unless roadway, traffic, weather or other conditions make doing so unsafe or impossible.
2. A person who violates subsection 1 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(Added to NRS by 2003, 486; A 2009, 1096)—(Substituted in revision for NRS 484.364)

Old 03-20-2010, 04:00 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,241,410 times
Thanks Buzz for letting us know this. I certainly never heard of it.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
It's not really new. I always did it anyways. It's common courtesy.
Me too, agree.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:26 AM

43 posts, read 94,205 times
Me three.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:55 AM

86 posts, read 306,779 times
The same thing happened to my mother. There were 2 police cars on the side of the road doing a warrant arrest, and there were cars on the left hand lane. We were trying to get over slowed down to 25 attempting to move over. The officer stepped over the white line to pull us over by yelling at us. We had no choice but to stay in the right hand lane, it was full of cars what were we to do, they wouldn't let us over. So she got a 165 dollar ticket and now is going to court to fight it.

Old 03-20-2010, 12:48 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
It's a stupid law. A very high proportion of accidents are caused by cars changing lanes, and it is counterproductive to force thousands of cars to change lanes to enable one officer to issue one ticket. If patrol cars on the shoulder create a genuine public safety risk, offending motorists can be ordered by loudspeaker to proceed to the next exit to pull off.

It's another example of how the highway patrol is not out there to make the roads safer, but to verbally abuse somebody's mother and extract a $165 fine from her. Another law for which conviction requires absolutely no other evidence except a cop's I-said-so testimony.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-20-2010 at 01:02 PM..

Old 03-20-2010, 03:03 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,474,008 times
It been that way for years in most states.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:09 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
There are signs all over the highways that say "move over or reduce speed". Pay attention to the road signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive