U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,942,110 times

Advertisements

Go with the Sonata if you want a cushy ride and luxury-like styling. Go with the Fusion if you have any pulse whatsoever.

We bought an 01 Sonata GLS V6 new back in 01. Wanna know why they give you a 100K mile warranty? Because if they didnt, noone would buy them. Ours was good for awhile, then crap hit the fan. And hit the fan some more. And some more. It now has 125K miles on it and I dont want to sink another penny into that thing. Our rear d/s window regulator has been shot for over a year, the trunk release broke, the rear taillight has more water in it than the Titanic does, and the shift indicator lights flicker like its going out of style, and it sounds like we need yet another set of front wheel bearings. Yay.

Go with the Fusion. ;-)
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:14 PM

404 posts, read 1,209,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Go with the Fusion. ;-)
4 cylinder Fusion was recently named best "commuter car" by Triple A after the Honda Insight. it would seem a solid choice

rounding out the top 5

VW Jetta TDI
Hyundai Elantra (gogogo my little Hyundai )
Subaru Legacy / Outback

Old 03-26-2010, 01:14 AM

5,737 posts, read 12,032,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
I can't decide which vehicle I should look into. I still need to test drive them but I know how the Ford Fusion handles. I'm leaning towards the Fusion but the Hyundai warranty plus all the press the vehicle is getting is making me think about it. I want to keep my payments low so I'm going to get just about the base model type.
I'd prefer a Fusion. I've always preferred it over the Sonata

Old 03-26-2010, 07:49 AM

747 posts, read 2,209,252 times
Local Hyundai ad has a lot of "extras" included in the purchase of most new models, e.g. free oil changes for 3 yrs, free tires "for life," powertrain warranty for life, $4,500 above your trade-in's value, etc etc. Obviously there's fine print and YMMV, but it seems the factory is helping dealers try to steal market share from Toyota (and anyone else) so it's not a bad time to look at Hyundai models.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:55 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,186,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
We bought an 01 Sonata GLS V6 new back in 01. Wanna know why they give you a 100K mile warranty? Because if they didnt, noone would buy them. Ours was good for awhile, then crap hit the fan. And hit the fan some more. And some more. It now has 125K miles on it and I dont want to sink another penny into that thing. Our rear d/s window regulator has been shot for over a year, the trunk release broke, the rear taillight has more water in it than the Titanic does, and the shift indicator lights flicker like its going out of style, and it sounds like we need yet another set of front wheel bearings. Yay.
The 01 model, and the current model are completely different cars. hyundai has come a long long way from the 01 models!

Old 03-26-2010, 08:22 AM

269 posts, read 816,912 times
Default Sube

Consider looking at the Subarus, especially if you occasionally encounter bad weather. We like our 2010 Legacy 4cyl with CVT automatic. Sube has some other models that are also nice, again especially considering AWD.

We had looked at the AWD Fusion, a nice enough car, and quite a few others. We did not look at the Hyundai.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:10 AM

8,468 posts, read 13,222,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
My comments about the Sonata are the previous model, not the one just introduced.
Don't you think you ought to drive the new one before commenting then?

I've noticed that several responders have talked about problems with past Hyundais. Problem is the models they're talking about are as much as 9 years old. If you're going to judge a brand, how bout judging them on who they are today? After all, isn't that what The Big Three have been saying? I never paid much attention to Hyundai until recently. When I sat in the Genesis and test drove the 2011 Sonata, I realized that Hyundai had improved a lot and were no longer the cheap brand they had been even just a few years ago. The previous Sonata fit the boring, family sedan profile. But Hyundai has made it clear that they're going after a different kind of customer with this new Sonata. I have a feeling it'll even turn off previous Sonata owners who liked that cushy, Camry-like ride. I found the 2011 Sonata to have a more sporty, European feel to it.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:48 AM

5,996 posts, read 13,283,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Don't you think you ought to drive the new one before commenting then?

I've noticed that several responders have talked about problems with past Hyundais. Problem is the models they're talking about are as much as 9 years old. If you're going to judge a brand, how bout judging them on who they are today? After all, isn't that what The Big Three have been saying? I never paid much attention to Hyundai until recently. When I sat in the Genesis and test drove the 2011 Sonata, I realized that Hyundai had improved a lot and were no longer the cheap brand they had been even just a few years ago. The previous Sonata fit the boring, family sedan profile. But Hyundai has made it clear that they're going after a different kind of customer with this new Sonata. I have a feeling it'll even turn off previous Sonata owners who liked that cushy, Camry-like ride. I found the 2011 Sonata to have a more sporty, European feel to it.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Old 03-26-2010, 02:40 PM

3,743 posts, read 10,924,051 times
I can only say two things. One, I am not impressed with the 4 cyl Fusion, I think it is a dog. Two, I saw a new Sonata on the road yesterday, and it looked pretty good. Of course, I also think the Fusion looks good, and I haven't driven the new Sonata.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:54 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,236,136 times
Comparing Hyundai products from a decade ago to today's stellar lineup makes no sense, for several reasons.

The Tucson trounced the Lexus LS 450 in a comparison test (either R&T or C&D) last year.

The 2011 Sonata is a major upgrade over its predecessor, and the Accord & Camry now have some extremely formidable competition, as a recent cover story in FORTUNE magazine pointed out.

The Genesis is turning out to be as electrifying as the 1989 Lexus LS 400 and Infiniti Q45 were to the Germans back then, but you'd never know it due to the current semi-comatose state of the auto industry, which will be inundated with pricey Obamamobiles thanks to the new CAFE standards.

Those new rules and mandates will force Porsche to turn their legendary 911 flamethrowers into 30+ MPG econoboxes, unless they can get a waiver from the Feds, according to a stunning story in Automobile News.

The Elantra replaced the Civic as the best compact car out there last year, according to Consumer Reports.

I'd take a Sonata over a Fusion if I had to stay under $25,000 for a new car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive