U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:15 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,683,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
the thing about electric cars is they don't have the infrastructure in place think about how many gas stations we have all over the place to fill up they would need to build thousands of fast charge stations all over the country to even make it viable and even then if you run out of juice on the side of the road you can't bring 5 gallons of electricity in a container to charge your car to get you to a charge station you have to have it towed.
Not only that but the batteries are extremely costly to produce both in terms of money and pollution, and reliable source or electricity will be one of our biggest challenges in time to come.

I think it's important to keep researching it, but as things stand now, I don't see the great potential in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 03:22 PM

380 posts, read 544,733 times
Im holding out for hydrogen or a viable electric vehicle, then I'll wait another 5-7 years to let them perfect it and the prices to go down. Until then I'm sticking with my gas-guzzler, for better or worse.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:25 PM

10,746 posts, read 22,445,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Im holding out for hydrogen or a viable electric vehicle, then I'll wait another 5-7 years to let them perfect it and the prices to go down. Until then I'm sticking with my gas-guzzler, for better or worse.
sweet truck those are pretty good on gas because they are diesel I bet it still gets better MPG's than my winter beater gas powered 91 F250 does they are greared like a semi-truck for really good freeway mpgs and the 7-speed overdrive manual tranny helps alot too

Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,708,251 times
I think the next big wave is vehicles like the Volt. A 40 mile range on electric only is enough to meet the needs of something like 90%+ of Americans daily driving needs. The gas engine backup gives you the extended driving range that you need if you want to drive anywhere long distance. The platform was also built with clean diesels and hydrogen power plants as a possible source for generating the backup electricity in place of the gas engine.

While the argument for the source of where the electricity will come from is very valid, we certainly have far more alternatives to generating "clean" electricity that doesn't involve any fossil fuels. You are starting to see a push towards new nuclear reactors and more efficient use of nuclear fuel (with some technologies in development that purport using 100% of the radioactive material meaning a reactor could run almost indefinitely without refueling). This is going to be the future of electricity and would essentially mean we would have access to virtually unlimited "clean" electrcity when combined with wind, hydro and solar using "clean" coal technology as a bridge.

If we accomodated 90%+ of our driving with electric from clean sources and simply use gasoline for the remaining 10%- we will greatly reduce our oil dependence, allow us to focus our oil use into commercial transportation and extend our supplies for a long time.

This is all possible with current technologies and is not counting on any pie-in-the-sky breakthrough to save us. I honestly believe that within 25 years we will all be driving hybrid electric/gas vehicles.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:30 PM

12,959 posts, read 18,553,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Not only that but the batteries are extremely costly to produce both in terms of money and pollution, and reliable source or electricity will be one of our biggest challenges in time to come.

I think it's important to keep researching it, but as things stand now, I don't see the great potential in them.
Nor do I, but will electric cars be our only semi-viable option?

Not many people could afford 100 bucks a week to tank up just to go to work, especially in a world of falling wages and high unemployment.

Electric cars might work for me, being only 10 miles from my work, but it isn't gonna do the job for a lot of people. I just see a bad thing comming and no really good way to adjust for it.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Nor do I, but will electric cars be our only semi-viable option?

Not many people could afford 100 bucks a week to tank up just to go to work, especially in a world of falling wages and high unemployment.

Electric cars might work for me, being only 10 miles from my work, but it isn't gonna do the job for a lot of people. I just see a bad thing comming and no really good way to adjust for it.
That's why there are smarter people than you and me doing the adjusting.

Interestingly enough $100 a week is what I currently pay to drive back and forth to school (No, it's not in the US)

Electric cars is a very young technology, and it will without doubt develop a lot in the years to come, increasing the range, as well as reducing cost, that means nothing unless we can find more viable sources of energy though. Terra Powerplants are very interesting, but it requires a lot of funding for research, funding not yet in place.

No matter what we do, we are facing some unique challenges, and it'll be very exciting to see what the future holds

Old 03-26-2010, 10:59 PM

6,148 posts, read 6,142,048 times
Electricity is the most flexible energy source. In theory it can be generated on a (practically) unlimited level and (practically) forever. Solar radiation alone that hits the earth every day has the potential to generate 100x more terra-watt hrs than we could ever generate with Oil and other fossil fuels.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,343,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
We are much more than 10 years ago from a real Hydrogen vehicle. Sure, a running hydrogen is possible soon but one that can take an accident without exploding ...not so much.
Apparently you have not been following the technology. Crashworthiness is not one of the major problems with bringing H vehicles to market.

The bigger problems lie in the distribution system for the H and off course developing the fuel cells into a reliable and affordable option for the consumer.

Then there is the significant problem of how to produce the amounts of H needed to supplant petrol fuels. Even though H is extremely plentiful on this earth it takes a lot of energy to break it away from the other elements it loves to bond with. If the biotechs can figure out how to get the little bugs to make pure H for us, then we might have a good thing going.

Currently electric cars are not necessarily any cleaner or more efficient that petrol cars. The juice has to come from somewhere, usually coal, gas or nuclear power plants. Very little comes from wind, geo or hydro.

I hate it when they call them zero emission vehicles... that is just BS!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Electricity is the most flexible energy source. In theory it can be generated on a (practically) unlimited level and (practically) forever. Solar radiation alone that hits the earth every day has the potential to generate 100x more terra-watt hrs than we could ever generate with Oil and other fossil fuels.
But solar radiation is very costly and space consuming to harvest, we also generally need power supplies when there's clouds in the sky. Energy availability will probably be the biggest challenge in the coming 15-25 years, and solar power, unless they invent a revolutionary way to harvest it, is only a good addition, we can't rely on it.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:34 PM

791 posts, read 1,207,848 times
the future is electric .....right now, I am taking repair courses for golf carts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or