U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:24 PM

8,957 posts, read 16,997,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Enough with the links. I want to hear YOUR solution to this "problem" in America. Quit parroting bits and pieces from other authors and actually write out a plan in your own words that addresses the issues and provides solutions.
Quote:
Thanks for stuffing a lot of words in my mouth.

Why don't you drop the drama and read that post again. You'll see that I pointed out a potential source of oil that is currently untapped because of cost and social conscience. I also pointed out that priorities can change as conditions dictate. That doesn't mean that we should strip mine North America or club baby seals in the 2014 Winter Olympics. It simply means that people adapt to new situations.

Perhaps one of those adaptations is developing a new technology to extract oil from shale and tar sands. Perhaps that means a transition from oil to some other fuel source. We could have some intelligent discussions about the possibilities, but it's a lot more fun to throw out silly statements that are light on logic and heavy on shock value isn't it?
Both of these post are far from fair or civil.

Last edited by Grandpa Pipes; 03-30-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 03-30-2010, 04:42 PM

5,010 posts, read 12,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

Logic isn't yours, so it evens out.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 PM

12,899 posts, read 18,442,586 times
Quote:
Thanks for stuffing a lot of words in my mouth.

Why don't you drop the drama and read that post again. You'll see that I pointed out a potential source of oil that is currently untapped because of cost and social conscience. I also pointed out that priorities can change as conditions dictate. That doesn't mean that we should strip mine North America or club baby seals in the 2014 Winter Olympics. It simply means that people adapt to new situations.

Perhaps one of those adaptations is developing a new technology to extract oil from shale and tar sands. Perhaps that means a transition from oil to some other fuel source. We could have some intelligent discussions about the possibilities, but it's a lot more fun to throw out silly statements that are light on logic and heavy on shock value isn't it?
What can I say? shock sells.

But thanks for clarification, I did not find all that spelled out in your other post and I tend to agree with what you just said.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:06 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times
same reason in france people will if at all possible buy a itty bitty car and not ride rail or bus, personal safety just like here the streets got mean in the last 40 years. and whites are the #1 target of the thugs on the streets. like here france has criminalized self defense. france has got lots of trains and buses but use them less.
dont fall for the trap.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 12,896,672 times
Where have all the railroads gone ?

Converted into bike trails . ( In my area, at least)

Would those " energy free" bikers be willing to give up their bike trails and see them converted back to RR tracks?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:22 PM

1,739 posts, read 4,820,576 times
I think everyone should travel in hot air balloons. There is plenty of hot air from this topic.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:57 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
same reason in france people will if at all possible buy a itty bitty car and not ride rail or bus, personal safety just like here the streets got mean in the last 40 years. and whites are the #1 target of the thugs on the streets. like here france has criminalized self defense. france has got lots of trains and buses but use them less.
dont fall for the trap.
You have the right to think so if you wish, but that's in no way the reason people have small cars, and I feel obliged to let people know this is untrue.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:56 PM

1,739 posts, read 4,820,576 times
That's because the French are...

Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,551,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Asking you to quit parroting other people's information and actually provide solutions is unfair and far from civil??? News to me...

You've been ranting about automobile use in the US throughout this thread, but you have never once provided a viable alternative. When people ask for your ideas, all you do is link to various articles and fantasize about how trains are great. How is it unfair for me to call you out on that? You either have some actual ideas of your own or you don't.

As for the other post, it appears that the person I was responding to understood the sarcasm and the point I was making. Sorry if you missed it.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,551,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
What can I say? shock sells.

But thanks for clarification, I did not find all that spelled out in your other post and I tend to agree with what you just said.
Well, it certainly caught my attention.

Glad to hear that we're on the same page and sorry if my original reply was a bit abrasive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or