U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about buying GM?
Less likely now, because of bailout 11 16.42%
Less likely now, because of economy 1 1.49%
More likely now, to show support 3 4.48%
More likely, just because I like the cars 20 29.85%
I wouldn't buy GM regardless 32 47.76%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 03:27 PM

1,739 posts, read 4,821,790 times

Advertisements

and don't buy a VAG otherwise that might be the only VAG you get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 03:58 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,571,367 times
It's amazing how quick people will throw a great American company such as GM to the wolves. Give them a chance to dig themselves out for petes sake. Even after their restructuring they're still a massive corporation that is capable of getting back on top. Saying you won't buy a GM because of their arrangement with the Gov't is just plain silly.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:12 PM

210 posts, read 523,591 times
GM dug their own grave through lackluster products, bland design, and a reliance upon fleet (rental) sales.

They've demonstrated continued ignorance in the aftermath of their taxpayer funded restructuring. Their brilliant Pontiac Solstice and G8 were unsupported and thrown out. Their bloated, ignorant Hummer brand was over hyped and now deservedly dead. They even tried to sell off Opel, whose design team is responsible for the majority of the new models they offer with any promise at all - Malibu, Lacrosse, Regal - all based on the Insignia.

They are perpetually bloated and inept and I refuse to support them in any way. I will never buy a GM product ever again. Then again, new cars, in general, are bloated and cater to inept vehicle operators (as opposed to drivers) and I fail to see the wisdom in paying full price for such rapidly depreciating assets.

I'll stick to my fully functional, completely reliable, 17 and 18 year old Mitsubishis, thank you.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:01 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,331,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Saying you won't buy a GM because of their arrangement with the Gov't is just plain silly.
Agreed, there are much better reasons not to buy a GM. See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
GM dug their own grave through lackluster products, bland design, and a reliance upon fleet (rental) sales.

They've demonstrated continued ignorance in the aftermath of their taxpayer funded restructuring. Their brilliant Pontiac Solstice and G8 were unsupported and thrown out. Their bloated, ignorant Hummer brand was over hyped and now deservedly dead. They even tried to sell off Opel, whose design team is responsible for the majority of the new models they offer with any promise at all - Malibu, Lacrosse, Regal - all based on the Insignia.

They are perpetually bloated and inept and I refuse to support them in any way. I will never buy a GM product ever again. Then again, new cars, in general, are bloated and cater to inept vehicle operators (as opposed to drivers) and I fail to see the wisdom in paying full price for such rapidly depreciating assets.
Here, here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It would be nice if American cars went back to looking and feeling like American cars.

Make cars with some rear overhang (although the Lincoln Town Car does have that). Make some cars with real chrome and whitewall tires. Make a true full-sized Cadillac and stop calling the mid-sized ones "full-sized." And try to minimize the alphabet-soup models ("CTS," "DTS," etc).
Great idea!

Go backwards and load down the vehicles with useless chrome, overhangs and geegaws. That will help with CAFE! See above.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:43 PM

10,715 posts, read 22,325,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post

I'll stick to my fully functional, completely reliable, 17 and 18 year old Mitsubishis, thank you.
yeah but mitsu is dead here in the NA market they dont even break down their sales report by model anymore they sell so few they will be leaving the north america market pretty soon.
the G8 lives on throught the camaro and GM has some really great full size trucks that are worth looking at the hummer H2 and H3 were just a suburban and colorado with a diffrent body and never lived up too the H1 on off-road peformance but they sold well as an image in the early 00s tons of people were willing to pay 80K for an H2

Old 03-25-2010, 08:10 PM

404 posts, read 1,209,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I think we should consider buying GM to help them get AWAY from being Government Motors.
why would you do this?

decade after decade the government has been the best thing to happen to them since the '66 Impala :/

Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 PM

1,306 posts, read 2,571,367 times
I've never really owned any GM sedans so I guess I can't speak about them intelligently, I do like the looks though.

My wife and I buy GM full size SUV's and 3/4 ton pickups mainly because one/both of us is towing on a weekly basis. So I can speak intelligently about them.

What is so bland about by Silverado or my wifes Tahoe?

What is so unreliable about these two vehicles?

I'm not seeing it and I own these vehicles. So lets have the import loving armchair experts explain it to me.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 PM

978 posts, read 1,861,512 times
GM has made some legendary vehicles in the past and it's 100% justified for some people to have a soft spot and misty eyes for the company, but quality is quality and the GM of today is just not up to par with the competition. Compared to Hyundai(these guys can do no wrong at the present point), Honda(good quality...but their new product designs of late have taken a total dive), Toyota(boring...but good stuff when it's not killing people), and other foreign competition..GM just doesn't cut it when it comes to quality construction, materials used, efficiency to power ratios, etc. Even Ford has definately made greater strides than GM. GM is basically offering inferior products for more cash, they really need to step it up before America can start backing them again.

Having said that, I'm in the market for a new car within the next year and thinking about snatching up a used Pontiac Solstice or a Mini Cooper. Maybe it's just Steve McQueen's birthday having an influence on me, but the thought of cruising around in a Solstice has been on my mind pretty heavily as of late. It just makes me think of those great classic cars and "the good ol' days" of the auto industry, something that only American designs can do for you. The Solstice is by no means a bad car...but one look at the interior design, materials used, etc and it's typical cheap-o GM at its best. That little beauty could have been the halo car that Pontiac needed, but instead it was just a halfassed "meet you a few hours late" combination of a wonderful design and typical GM cost cutting maneuvers. However, despite their great fall, it's undeniable that GM just has that classic image and "mojo" in some of its designs that nobody else can duplicate. I think every American car fan would love to see GM get its act together and step it up, but as they currently stand..I don't really see myself showing them any sympathy.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:10 PM

1,634 posts, read 3,331,525 times
Chadro,

GM trucks are pretty good, in my limited experience. My work Tahoe was the best work truck I ever had, and I have had lots, Fords, Dodges and GM. Dodge is the only one I would never consider.

Older GM cars were pretty darn good too, but that ended 35+ years ago. A small number of modern performance GMs appeal to me also.

As to the 'import loving armchair experts' quip...

not sure whom you are referring to but is sure paints a picture of your bias.

Import, domestic or a combination thereof makes no difference to me. I look for something that meets my needs regardless of origin. My four vehicles are from 4 different countries and 4 different manufacturer's and all meet my needs well. Maybe it is because I have no brand loyalty that I can have a less biased view.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:14 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
I'd like a list of which cars are built in the USA in Union Shops
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive